Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2015, 02:20 AM

5 posts, read 4,147 times

Advertisements

Considering moving to Flagstaff or Prescott area (not inner city, maybe countryside near by)

My husband and I are looking for information about AZ since we have family in Phoenix. We are out of state and have never been to AZ. Looking for an area with cooler temperatures which limits us to higher elevations. That's completely fine since it's always been my dream to live in the mountains. My concern is finding a job and career for my husband that he is happy with. He is graduating in a year with a BS in information systems technology. He wants a higher paying job with a (larger) company where he can advance. He would like his main focus to be cyber security or anything to do with that. Not so much database administrator.

So my question is; are there bigger companies in Flagstaff or Prescott that would be hiring for a position similar to that and also pay $65,000+? Government positions are also a bonus!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 06:06 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,977,587 times
You'd be better off in Phoenix (or other big metro area), more jobs, put about 5-10 years in, then look for an ideal spot when your Husband has a more flushed out resume. Northern AZ is small, you can find IT jobs up here working for the forest service, universities, or local governments, but private sector IT jobs with decent salaries outside of that are scarce. Also entry level IT jobs in this state tend to have lower starting salaries especially government ones. There are some hidden data centers floating around that might open up with more experience. I'm not saying finding that entry level cybersec job that makes 65k just out of school can't be done but it might take you some looking and eventual lowered expectations. Best to work in a hub metro area, gain experience, and then when his skills can demand it telecommute into the big corporate world from a nicer area (what I do). You also might want to spend some time in AZ before deciding on living here. Don't get me wrong I love Northern Arizona and think the Flagstaff area is a nice place to live (though I live further South and West) but Flagstaff isn't for everyone. I bet you would like it but always wise to visit and spend time in an area before committing (if you can).

Anyway, check the forest service (state and fed), Northern Arizona University, Coconino County and Flagstaff government sites for jobs. Private stuff in the area I'm not too familiar with.

Best of luck.

Last edited by infocyde; 05-04-2015 at 06:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona