Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 08:19 AM

270 posts, read 325,534 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to figure out VOC. Just starting to learn about the area so forgive me if these are stupid questions. It seems some consider VOC part of Sedona, and they share a zip code, but are in different counties?

How is crime in Sedona vs. VOC and which are the good/bad areas? Who provides police service (Sedona police, Yavapai sheriff, both?)? How about fire and emergency? How good are all three of those services?

Which area has worse flooding and fires, and how often do those happen?

Is VOC relatively self-contained, with its own stores, restaurants, etc., or do you go to Sedona for everything?

Is VOC touristy? Is spiritual stuff as popular as it is in Sedona?

How are taxes in Yavapai vs. Coconino counties?

Anything else I should know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 09:31 AM

849 posts, read 2,921,611 times
I don't live in those areas, but as a frequent visitor I can give you some input. I know there is this "division" between VOC and Sedona proper, but as far as I am concerned, it is ALL Sedona. I discern between the two by calling one "donwtown Sedona" and the other plain-ol Sedona. Maybe that comes from me growing up in California and despite living in "the Valley" or "Agoura" it was all Los Angeles.
VOC is self-contained for the most part, but is significantly less congested than Sedona. And it isn't like the two are so far away from each other you would need to refer to them as separate entities, although everyone does (and Google Maps too). Both areas offer unparalleled access to hiking and biking and Jeep trails. There are more restaurants in Sedona proper, whereas there are some limited selections in VOC. For markets, you definitely need to drive into Sedona, unless it's stuff you can buy at the Stop and Rob. LOL.
I guess you could compare VOC as a "sleepy town" that runs off a side road of the "glitzy city". I would not say VOC is touristy, and definitely not as much as Sedona is (downtown).
Here is the quandary I am in, as someone looking to retire in one of those areas: I love VOC for it's "downplayed" atmosphere, and it's more affordable housing. But, I am not a fan of the touristy environment in Sedona proper, and know I would have to navigate it all when I go to the grocery store, car wash, doctor's office, etc. I live in Florida right now, which is a major tourist mecca, and I can't stand it. When I stay in Sedona, we usually bide our time camping along Oak Creek, and do our thing in VOC. We HAVE to go into downtown to stock up on food, etc., and that is where I am not a fan of it all. I have to do some more time in the area before I really decide to bite the bullet and buy my retirement home. If it wasn't for the draw of all the activities available in the area, I probably would have put Sedona on my back burner a long time ago.

Old 03-14-2016, 12:03 PM

Thanks, I really appreciate your detailed answer! I don't actually mind tourists, but having to go to Sedona proper for groceries is still something of a turn-off for me. Does the road from VOC to Sedona flood often? It seems that Oak Creek floods, and being cut off from basic supplies concerns me. I don't know precisely where it floods or how that would affect the road. How about snow/ice?

I can definitely understand your quandary. Sounds like VOC would be your ideal place if only it were more self-contained and separate from Sedona proper. Best of luck to you in your decision! Do you have any other "finalists" location-wise you're considering for your retirement, or is VOC the total frontrunner?

Old 03-14-2016, 04:03 PM

849 posts, read 2,921,611 times
It's between there and some places in Southern Utah, specifically around Hurricane and Cedar City. We haven't spent a lot of time out there yet, so that's still up in the air. Sedona/VOC is our first choice...

Old 03-14-2016, 05:44 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,223,721 times
I do live here and here are a few things to consider:

Sedona has 2 parts, Uptown and West Sedona, there is no downtown.

Most stuff happens in Sedona versus VOC ~ movies, shopping and entertainment.

VOC does have a grocery store, a small IGA but it's not comparable to what Sedona has (Basha's, Safeway, Whole Foods and Natural Grocers plus a farmers market).

VOC is getting better restaurants all the time but Sedona has more. VOC has one bank, I believe, Sedona has 4 or 5 (or more).

VOC is probably quieter but you'll probably find yourself needing to go in to Sedona often and that's where the problem lies. At certain times of year the only way in and out gets really backed up and it can take a loooooong time in stop and go traffic (sometimes mostly stopped) to get back and forth.

I believe it's the same PD for both but don't quote me on that, you could just phone them and ask. I sure hope it's not the same FD or your house would be in cinders by the time they got there (20 - 25 in.).

Some people love living in "The Village" and others think the only place to live is Sedona, it's a personal preference. If you're older, you might like VOC better ~ the kids here call it "the village of old creeps" .

Old 03-15-2016, 12:29 PM

138 posts, read 387,777 times
I live in the VOC, though I'm younger than most (45 yo). We like it much more than Sedona proper. It tends to be less busy. We still get our share of tourists - most of them got through the VOC to get to their destination. We have a small grocery store for some items but go to Sam's Club in Flag for most of our groceries. We go to the IGA for thing like milk and other small things. Often times it's faster to go to Cottonwood than Sedona (especially on the weekends) for groceries and stuff. Cottonwood also has a Home Depot and Wal Mart. Actually, I probably only go to Sedona proper once a week or less. I do all of my banking on line, so the only reason to visit a bank in the area is for notary services.

The county sheriff is the one who patrols the VOC, not the Sedona PD. Sometimes I wish they were around more (like when someone buzzes me too close while riding my bicycle) but there isn't much crime to worry about. Pretty much all of the crime I've read about has been by acquaintances of the victims, not random. Sometimes there will be a rash of cars getting broken into at trail heads. This is all over the area though.

As to being in different counties, I don't think it makes much of a difference except for the jury duty call-ups. In general, people don't think about it. The VOC and part of Sedona proper are in Yavapai county.

One big issue right now is the closing of the K-8 school in the VOC. I have a 5-mo old boy and was looking forward to walking him to school. Now it looks like he'll be going to the prep academy in Cottonwood. This is a big issue for the VOC.

Old 03-15-2016, 12:41 PM

3,607 posts, read 7,915,344 times
No one has mentioned that the sales tax in VOC is a hair lower.

It helps to be strategic if you need to drive into Sedona. Even in peak tourist times traffic into Sedona is not a problem early in the morning. (Because Phxers need to leave at 7:30 to get to Sedona by 9). Midmorning on a holiday weekend can be painful.

Old 03-15-2016, 06:12 PM

Thanks, all four of you! You've really helped me figure out some things about VOC. At this point I'm thinking that, as beautiful as VOC looks, having to plan runs for various basic supplies might grate on me after a while...

Old 03-15-2016, 09:42 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,223,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrogg View Post
Thanks, all four of you! You've really helped me figure out some things about VOC. At this point I'm thinking that, as beautiful as VOC looks, having to plan runs for various basic supplies might grate on me after a while...
Even though I do love it in VOC, I really prefer the convenience of W. Sedona. If you're in a really high-end price range for homes, uptown has some beauties but you WILL have to contend with tourists for sure.

P.S. crime is not worth worrying about here, most of my friends don't even lock their doors and some leave their keys in their cars (I don't).

Old 03-16-2016, 06:58 PM

Thanks again, and glad to know crime is so low! I'd never leave keys in my car personally, but it's refreshing to know people there feel safe enough to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona