Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2016, 06:33 PM

16 posts, read 31,295 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

My family will be traveling from California to the Flagstaff area for vacation the first week of this January. We'll stay in a vacation rental in either Munds Park, Kachina Village, or the outer Flagstaff area. Most of our travel will entail going to the Grand Canyon, Meteor Crater, the Petrified Forest, Flagstaff, and the local area we rent in. May also go up skiing at the ski resort near Flagstaff - Snowbowl - I think it's called.

Can anyone give me a rough idea of what the traveling/road conditions are likely to be like this time of year? For example, are the major freeways and roads in these areas kept clear of snow?

We'll be renting a Toyota 4Runner, but I doubt it'll have 4WD. I will get snow chains for it, but I would like to know what we might be getting into. General weather wise, are there frequent snow storms this time of year?

Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 06:56 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,874,701 times
It's hit or miss up there. One day it could be sunny and 45 degrees and week later it's in the 20's and peoples roofs are collapsing from all the snow. It does sit at 7000 feet so err on the side of caution.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:59 AM

1 posts, read 3,039 times
Welcome to Flagstaff, I live here. In the area of Munds Park/Kachina Village, there is a little more snow in that area, IF it does snow some. We have not received much snow lately, so you should be okay. Grand Canyon area will receive probably more snow, but the roads are kept plowed, the freeways are plowed, etc. In the area of Petrified Forest/Meteor Creator, it is mostly desert there, so not much snow to speak of, however, if it does snow, i would drive safely on the freeway headed east due to ice. You will probably need chains if you plan on going up the mountain to SnowBowl, but you can park at the bottom and take the shuttle up the mountain. Overall, I have to say, freeways are plowed along with main roads, you may not even need chains for your travels if it does not snow. If it does rain instead, and you travel early morning hours, there might be ice on the road, so drive carefully. Hope this helps some and safe traveling. Mel

Old 10-20-2016, 11:04 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,057,787 times
follow the weather and forecast in the week before your trip.....

major roads and highways will, of course, be maintained very soon after any big snow.....as ms3C suggests above, minor residential roads and the road to Snowbowl may require chains and/or 4WD if there has been recent snow or lingering ice.....watch for ice/black ice on steep roads on cold mornings....

you may not need chains at all....see if you can find out ahead of time if there is need before you go out and buy them

Old 10-22-2016, 10:08 AM

16 posts, read 31,295 times
Thank you for the replies. I appreciate hearing from locals who have real familiarity with the topic at hand.

I'll certainly be checking on the weather in the area as our vacation approaches. Predictions are nice as far as the weather is concerned, but there is no substitute for first-hand knowledge and how localities respond to it.

We have really tried to expose our daughter to the outdoors and instill an appreciation for nature. However, since my wife and I have never been to the Grand Canyon or this part of the country, I would be lying if I didn't admit, we too are getting really excited about this trip.

Again, thank you for the input so far.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:20 PM

123 posts, read 175,379 times
The weather here in the southwest can be tricky. Elevation, terrain, and location all play huge roles. Recent winters have definitely been hit or miss, although early season storms has given us a few huge snowfalls over the last few years. This area is at a high elevation and is one of the snowiest areas in the country (Flagstaff is the 8th snowiest city in the country). This, however, isn't a result of many snowy days but rather several sporadic, large, snowfalls inter-spread with smaller snowfalls.

Flagstaff just received it's first significant snowfall of the season, while areas at higher elevations (like Snowbowl) have already recieved 20-30 inches. What generally happens is that there will be periods of stormy, cold weather, and periods of mild (by winter standards), sunny weather. For example, Flagstaff was 38F and sunny today, but highs will be in the low 20s with lows near zero and chances for snow later this week. Snowbowl will be significantly colder, while Munds Park will be a degree or two warmer. You may need chains, or you may not. The sun at this altitude is so intense that roads tend to clear of ice quickly after being plowed. Its a good idea to have them, just in case. Snowbowl Road generally requires 4WD or chains in winter.

Munds Park/Kachina Village/Mountainaire/Forest Highlands are really nice areas. They are along I-17, which can cause a lot of traffic problems during bad winter weather, as this is the primary thoroughfare between Phoenix and Flagstaff and is heavily trafficked by people who don't know how to drive in winter weather. The interstates are taken care of quickly, except when traffic is backed up. Residential roads, especially in rural areas, might take some time for the plows to reach. The road out front of my place in Munds Park usually doesn't get plowed until the early afternoon, depending on the snowfall. Kachina Village and Munds Park are rural, and even though most roads are paved, there are a few dirt roads that aren't plowed (such as in the North Lodge area of Munds Park). Munds Park is about a 20 minute drive into Flagstaff, while Kachina Village is about 10 minutes.

The Grand Canyon is unbelievably beautiful. There are two ways to get to the canyon from Flagstaff: I-40 and SR 180. Use your discretion when deciding which route to take, 180 is far more beautiful but can be worse off during bad weather. The Canyon can be very cold and windy during winter, and there will likely be snow on the ground. Keep in mind that the South Rim is roughly the same elevation as Flagstaff, so weather will likely be very similar, perhaps a degree or two colder.

If you have the time, i would highly recommend visiting Sedona. Its right down SR89a from Flagstaff, or you can take I-17 to 179 from Munds Park. 89a through Oak Creek Canyon can be dangerously icy in winter, as parts of the road are steep and shaded, so you will probably need chains if you choose that route. The landscape is stunning. Snow usually isn't an issue there, but if it does snow at that elevation it is spectacular. Lots of opportunities for hiking and offroading there, and the weather will be significantly warmer than Flagstaff, despite being so close.

Hope this helps, and enjoy your trip to the great state of Arizona!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona