Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2019, 07:26 PM

36 posts, read 42,728 times

Advertisements

Hi there - I'd like to know a few things about Williams, so if you live there feel free to respond. I'd like to work in the GC (south rim) or outside of it this upcoming season. I'm not interested in working for the big corporate companies, which is why I'm looking at Williams. My main concern is finding housing IN Williams as the beginning of the season is too cold to camp outside. I have only found 3 or 4 apt. complexes on googlemaps and search which isn't a lot considering that there are so many employees in the area close to year-round. How easy is it to find a place or even roommating (not interested in more than 2 others)? I've done a recent search on CL and came up with nothing. I'm getting the idea that "the season" begins around March. Is this correct? Finally, with as many businesses that hire for the season, but also with as many people who apply, is it difficult to get interviewed or hired? Thanks for positive input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 08:30 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,976,381 times
There isn't a lot of housing in Williams and the commute to Grand Canyon Village is about 50 minutes along the 64 which isn't the best road to be commuting on (Dangerous, sometimes closed when accidents happen). You could try to find something in Valle, which is about 25 minutes away, I know people who commute into the Canyon from there and even some of the companies at the Grand Canyon have shuttles that I think run from Valle for some employee housing there. But I think your overall question is missing the point.

One of the best things about working in the Grand Canyon is that the companies that typically employ you there provide housing for dirt cheep. If you are commuting in and live on your own you miss all that. Also outside of the town of Tusyan you are pretty much stuck with working for NPS, Delaware North, or Xanterra. There are some private places like hotels and restaurants in Tusyan but on park land the above is pretty much it. There are also some forest service jobs but getting those is competitive.

As far as getting hired if your salary requirements are low there are always jobs up here. If you have a work ethic you can get hired from what I understand.

My info comes from living in the area and being married to someone who works in the canyon. I telecommute so this is all outside looking in info.

Living in the Grand Canyon seems to be what you make of it. You can be very happy or miserable, with most being fairly happy while up here it seems.

PS if you use facebook there is a "yard sale" group that is kind of a catch all community group with a lot of good info.

Grand Canyon Yard Sale

https://www.facebook.com/groups/593559187331489/

Last edited by infocyde; 01-28-2019 at 09:08 PM..

Old 01-30-2019, 01:01 PM

36 posts, read 42,728 times
Thanks for the info. I'm in my late 40's - there's absolutely nothing to miss about living with half a dozen people and have 2 bathrooms at most. I've looked at enough of these ads and websites to see what 'housing' is all about up there. Not interested in living with so many people and now that this country has turned into Dramaland, lord knows what it's like. Yes, I've come upon several companies that have commuter vans and know that the road there is 50 miles from Williams. Ideal? No, but you have to like where you live which is why I'd prefer to work and live in Williams. I'd have no problem living in a tent, however the first couple of months of the season are too cold for that. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona