Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2024, 05:02 PM

9,368 posts, read 6,967,418 times

Advertisements

Howdy.. currently planning a trip while my kids (6 & 3) are out for Spring break the week of the week of March 25th. Have a few questions in regards to planning:

Should we plan to take the more direct route usig 89 through Panguitsh -> Kanab -> Paige or should we take the longer route through Vegas -> Kingman? I’ve heard that from time to time the route through Paige will get shut down entirely when they have a “collapse”? I’m not sure exactly if that meant a rock slide or avalanche from snow fall? I also wasn’t sure if that was at a paritcular spot and where to look on the DOT site. If we do take 89 is the road between Paige and Flagstaff pretty well maintained? My only experience driving through a reservation is the Semiole in Florida and I75 in a monster highway so you really never feel like your on a reservation. My worst nighmare would be getting a flat on that stretch at midnight with no cell service and limited gas stations.

We were planning to spend about a week primarily in Sedona but might try a few nights staying in cottonwood or Flagstaff. Not sure if it’s worth just to make a day trip out of both of those areas or if there is a enough diveristy of things to do in Sedona it make sense to just stay there for the week? Likely will do hiking, the jeep tour, perhaps the rail trip to grand canyon.

Any other most see places or activites in this general area that we should build into our iternarary? This is our first time ever coming to Arizona so super excited for that. We primarily take trips to Moab, St. George, Bryce, and Telluride/Durango/Cortez so a bit of a stretch for us.

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2024, 08:16 AM

5,975 posts, read 7,365,693 times
89 from Page (no "i" in Page) to Flagstaff is a well-maintained two-lane state highway. Lots and lots of open space, except for Cameron.

Coming down 89, you should definitely take the loop through Wupatki down through Sunset Crater, it's a great drive and is not much of a diversion in your route. Horseshoe Bend is just outside of Page, near the dam. Worth seeing, don't plan on spending a lot of time there.

There is cell service all along 89. As for driving on the "rez" as it's called by the locals, other than speeding (don't!) you'll be fine. You won't even know you're on a reservation unless you see signs stating as much.

RM

Old 01-21-2024, 09:22 AM

9,368 posts, read 6,967,418 times
Thanks for the suggestions on sites as well as the rez. Is there a point on this route that is at risk of landslides or avalanches that time of the year that I should search the dot site for?

Old 01-22-2024, 07:39 AM

4,068 posts, read 5,139,473 times
I don't think there are any places on the AZ side that you would need to worry about avalanches or rock slides. Go to AZ511.com or download the app, it will give you real time road conditions. Waze while you are driving.

If you are thinking of taking the GC train out of Williams anyway...schedule in BearZona, the Deer Farm and there is a new Gravity Coaster up there as well. Sunset Crater is pretty cool, Horsehoe Bend is ALWAYS crowded now. The route through Kanab is much more picturesque than going through Vegas. If you can take the time, swing through the Vermillion Cliffs NP/Kaibab Plateau on 89A vs. going through Page. It is one of the "steps" of the Grande Escalante as it comes down into AZ.

Flagstaff is a nice town with things to do for the kids. There is Flagstaff Extreme ropes course/zip lining there in the Ft. Tuthill County Park. The Lowell Observatory is cool as well. Heading to Sedona, if you stay on the 89A you will go through Oak Creek Canyon...be prepared for traffic. Sedona itself is not exactly "kid friendly" but there are a lot of Pink Jeep Tours, etc. to keep things "Family Friendly"...just not a lot of things that are kid centric. Hiking in Sedona in March...again be prepared for crowds. The trailheads get backed up on weekends and I think there are now some restrictions on how many people are on some of the more popular trails. Slide Rock may be a little cold in March but it is at least worth a look/stop.

Try and make it up to Jerome. Lots of old mine and touristy stuff to do up there. You can stand on a mine shaft deeper than the Empire State Building and look down through the plexiglass. Also maybe swing over to Montezuma's Castle/Montezuma's Well on the East side of I-17 by Camp Verde. Out of Africa is over there and Tuzigoot National Monument (to continue the Native American historical dwelling theme) is in Clarkdale/Cottonwood. There is also the Verde Canyon Railroad out of Clarkdale that is pretty enjoyable. You may even see some eagles on that train.

Lots of stuff to do up there, Keep hydrated and wear sunscreen.

Old 01-22-2024, 01:08 PM

455 posts, read 1,498,538 times
Kurt covered it pretty well, but you should know that spring break in Sedona is over the top crowded. If you haven't made reservations yet, you are most likely out of luck. Any hiking at popular trails, you would be smart to get there early in the day.
The trails will be crowded. A lot of trails have very little parking, so Sedona offers a free shuttle to the most popular spots.
https://sedonashuttle.com/

Gridlock with traffic is not unusual especially on weekends. Personally, I would suggest staying in Cottonwood or Camp Verde and then doing day trips to Sedona and other parts of the Verde Valley. There are Indian ruins all over, Verde Canyon rail road ride out of Clarkdale, Jerome ghost town, Ft Verde state park, etc.

Old 01-23-2024, 10:48 AM

5,975 posts, read 7,365,693 times
Agreed, Kurt has some great suggestions.

I’ll second the things in the Verde Valley to see, like Jerome, Tuzigoot and the two Montezuma national monuments are cool to see, easy to get to and rarely crowded. I was in Jerome and Tuzigoot back in November and it was pretty quiet.

I would avoid Sedona unless you really want to see it or take the drive down the canyon on 89. Very touristy and always crowded.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona