Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2009, 04:05 PM

253 posts, read 805,770 times

Advertisements

ok....just searched city data for Tusayan AZ, hubby looken at a possiable job opening at the grand canyon...before we think about applying(big big IF) can anyone tell us about this town????
will find out if gov housing is available thru a phone call tomarrow in the Park, but beyond that, where does people live?
We dont mind that Tusayan is small....i grew up in a smaller town then that, but where does the kids go to school if live there??? We dont mind going to Flagstaff on weekend for shopping, etc, but i saw in forum that Flagstaff doesnt have big box stores....does this mean no walmarts, kmarts, targets, ya know...the usual everyday stores or is it all high end uppity downtown shops??
what about resturants in both Tusayan and Flagstaff??? we take kids to the usual fastfood now and then, but prefer buffets like chinese and all american food, and good steak houses, mexican, home cooked(hey, im a cross between south and midwest, so i need my greens as well as my fried smothered in milk gravy!!! lol)
we need to know the houseing and schools pretty much ASAP...like yesterday....lol
also...what about cable and cell phone service?? we always use satilite dish for tv, and assume by canyon, thats a gimmie, but waht about cell service, saw a note about haven a cell tower, but hows the serivce in the area???
we sure do thank all who respond with all info ya can give, we have lived all over(retired military) so have been in that climate, so good to go there on info, look forward to hearing back from folks. thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 05:29 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Flagstaff DOES have WalMart, Target, Costco, all that. LOTS of restaurants. And a small, but nice, mall.

I'm sure there is a school district in the Grand Canyon area. Tusayan is a small tourist town. Someone who lives there or has been there recently can tell you more about Tusayan and what is actually there.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:33 PM

24,471 posts, read 26,008,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Flagstaff DOES have WalMart, Target, Costco, all that. LOTS of restaurants. And a small, but nice, mall.

I'm sure there is a school district in the Grand Canyon area. Tusayan is a small tourist town. Someone who lives there or has been there recently can tell you more about Tusayan and what is actually there.
Hmm, Costco's web site does not show they have a store in Flagstaff, nearest I think is in Prescott.

Find a Costco warehouse

Old 02-19-2009, 06:44 PM

1 posts, read 5,926 times
I lived in tusayan for about a year, really not much there. It is basically a tourist town, there are schools in the grand canyon village. Though I don't have any experience with the schools. As far as resturaunts theres not many, mcdonalds, wendys, we cook pizza and pasta is pretty good, also some places to eat at the best western... At the best western there is also a bar and a small bowling alley. So that's pretty much where people hang out. There's also a steak house in tusayan, which I don't recommend. It's not very good... burgers are ok, steaks are horrible and over priced. Better off grilling at home, I found that sams club in flagstaff has the best steaks you can buy in that area.

Flagstaff has all the normal places, walmart, target, sams club it's a pretty decent size city and a college town. A fairly nice smaller small. There's no chinese places in tusayan, so if you are in the mood closest place is flagstaff. For grocery shopping we drove down to williams every week, which is about a hour drive. But much cheaper than shopping at the little store in the park. To get into the park you will also need a permit. Our PO box was in the park, so we had to get one.

Also, companys in the grand canyon usually offer housing for their employees. You would have to ask about family housing. Normal houses for rent and for sale are usually few and far between, I actually never saw any? Anyone who didn't want to live in company housing drove from flagstaff everyday. Which by the way is a 90 minute drive. Alot of the housing also is down in valle, which is about a 30 minute drive.

When I lived there about a year ago, cell phone service wasn't all that great. I have verizon, in the park it was alright, in tusayan not so great. Supposely altell worked pretty well, which is now verizon. So I'm sure the service is much better. As far as I remember from other people tmobile doesn't work well, and inside buildings att is pretty spotty. We had to have a landline because cell service just was not reliable.

Anymore questions I would be glad to help. If I knew the company, I might be able to help a little more.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:26 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,064,630 times
there is not a Costco in Flag, but there is a Sam's Club and I, too, have heard from a reliable source that it has the best meat in town.....

Tusayan is pretty much a tourist "town" right outside the park boundary....just stuff to serve the visitors, mostly...

make sure you have appropriate housing confirmed with whomever is employing you...trailer, duplex, old and junky????....and it snows a lot in the winter....

Old 02-20-2009, 06:16 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
there is not a Costco in Flag,
If there isn't, then perhaps they closed it -- or perhaps my aging brain is mixing it with Sam's Club. Sorry, my bad!

Old 02-20-2009, 06:38 AM

253 posts, read 805,770 times
Default thank you thank you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitney57 View Post
I lived in tusayan for about a year, really not much there. It is basically a tourist town, there are schools in the grand canyon village. Though I don't have any experience with the schools. As far as resturaunts theres not many, mcdonalds, wendys, we cook pizza and pasta is pretty good, also some places to eat at the best western... At the best western there is also a bar and a small bowling alley. So that's pretty much where people hang out. There's also a steak house in tusayan, which I don't recommend. It's not very good... burgers are ok, steaks are horrible and over priced. Better off grilling at home, I found that sams club in flagstaff has the best steaks you can buy in that area.

Flagstaff has all the normal places, walmart, target, sams club it's a pretty decent size city and a college town. A fairly nice smaller small. There's no chinese places in tusayan, so if you are in the mood closest place is flagstaff. For grocery shopping we drove down to williams every week, which is about a hour drive. But much cheaper than shopping at the little store in the park. To get into the park you will also need a permit. Our PO box was in the park, so we had to get one.

Also, companys in the grand canyon usually offer housing for their employees. You would have to ask about family housing. Normal houses for rent and for sale are usually few and far between, I actually never saw any? Anyone who didn't want to live in company housing drove from flagstaff everyday. Which by the way is a 90 minute drive. Alot of the housing also is down in valle, which is about a 30 minute drive.

When I lived there about a year ago, cell phone service wasn't all that great. I have verizon, in the park it was alright, in tusayan not so great. Supposely altell worked pretty well, which is now verizon. So I'm sure the service is much better. As far as I remember from other people tmobile doesn't work well, and inside buildings att is pretty spotty. We had to have a landline because cell service just was not reliable.

Anymore questions I would be glad to help. If I knew the company, I might be able to help a little more.
thanks everyone for the info....the info in this quote was very helpfull.
i figured there had to be schools in area, thou citydata didnt have any info listed which was odd. i didnt think they would cart kids clear to flagstaff for school im glad the basics are there, and everything else we would need is in flagstaff/surrounding. we are not ones for big city, we are more of country bumkins....lol, so basics is all we needed.
glad to know about the steaks at sams club we grill out ALOT!!!!
weather isnt a issue, have lived all over, im from the south and hubby from the north, so we have lived all over thanks to AF. thou I hate the cold, i can deal with it if have to.
heard issues in forum about water supplies....any one care to share on that topic? is water getting scarce? is utilities high??
we saw that alot commute from flagstaff to canyon, whats that drive like in winter??? we have debated that if park service has no available houseing and found nothing decent in Tusayan or outskirts. little concerned about flagstaff's rental rates thou, seems from forum, its very pricey there, this job pays well in the park, and we would be adding alot to our income if got the job, but dont want to bother if cant save the extra cuz high cost of living sucks it all away....lol
if anyone has some thoughts on these questions....that would help.
ps....is area cool with transplants?? especially retired military? we are still young with kids(49,37, kids are 14,13 and 7)
and is there plenty of harley riders around??? we ride for pleasure, and would love to know if there is other riders around. have a great day all...and thanks again!!!!

Old 02-20-2009, 07:55 AM

1,552 posts, read 6,476,741 times
the 180 has gates and they get closed due to snow, other roads used to be a priority for plowing. Thus it would be a long and interesting time to use I 40 to get home.
Williams would be a straight shot North and would be my choice if I had to make the choice. Williams has water issues and concerns though.
When I spent some time as a seasonal with the nps we had to use dorm style housing due to lack of housing. That maybe the only way he would get a roof over his head and the family would live elsewhere and see each other on weekends or days off.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:40 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,064,630 times
really work on finding out what the Park housing options are for you, if any.....ask around what others do.....if not much, go for Williams instead of Flag....a little bit cheaper and much-more small town.....some cheaper areas just N of Williams on 64 toward the canyon....Williams itself is very oriented now toward the tourist railroad to the canyon.....

Harleys are common up there in the Flag area....the riders like to cruise Route 66 as a classic destination.....personally, I hate the noise and some of the riders are more like wannabes than real pros, it seems

best of luck to you....

you will be OK as a transplant....this is Arizona!.....lots of transient people coming and going....generally a conservative state, on average, so retired military should fit in.....will the kids be OK with such a disruptive move??....do they adjust well?

Old 04-12-2009, 12:02 AM

1 posts, read 5,592 times
Hi. I know this posting is old, but i'm hoping you're still there and able to assist. I need help with a place to rent in Tusayan, and hope you can help. My husband and I are both starting jobs at the South Rim with Xanterra, but none of their accomodations accept pets. we really don't want to give up our two dogs for such wonderful job opportunities, so wanted to see if you had any ideas. Much appreciated, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitney57 View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona