Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 11:56 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times

Advertisements

No one mention DC yet, that is their meeting ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 07:42 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,326,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
No one mention DC yet, that is their meeting ground.
Nah, most of them left back in 2006 with the last holdout leaving in 2009.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:29 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Nah, most of them left back in 2006 with the last holdout leaving in 2009.
They are entrenched there. Some of the newer ones may use some fancy slogans to make you think they are different though. The illusion wears off after a little while.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:49 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,228,646 times
The Florida Legislature is arguably one of the most corrupt political bodies on Earth. Just look at some of the legislation it passes. They don't even TRY to hide the stink anymore.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:57 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,330,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
The Florida Legislature is arguably one of the most corrupt political bodies on Earth. Just look at some of the legislation it passes. They don't even TRY to hide the stink anymore.
Have you even seen NY's legislature lately?

They basically gave all of the public unions 3-4% pay raises while passing a whole host of new tax and regressive fee increases on the average taxpayer.

Old 06-27-2010, 04:05 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
As compared to giving huge tax breaks to special interest groups, giant road projects the state doesn't need because Andersen Columbia needs another contract, and then claiming that the budget is so short that they have to massively increase license plate fees?

Old 06-27-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
As compared to giving huge tax breaks to special interest groups, giant road projects the state doesn't need because Andersen Columbia needs another contract, and then claiming that the budget is so short that they have to massively increase license plate fees?
NY did the same thing. They upped the license plate fee, got rid of some sales tax exemptions, and they are about to pass the highest cigarette taxes in the country, all so some state workers can retire at the age of 55 with a fat pension.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:15 PM

110 posts, read 550,257 times
Default Political Machine in Northern New Jersey Town

I grew up in Cliffside Park, NJ. The mayor has been the same there since I was a child. To put this in perspective I am 53. He has been mayor since 1965 and still is to this day. The Feds were close to getting him indicted a few decades ago. Makes the Chicago Daley Political Machine look like beginners. His family runs a real estate office in town and you can bet the zoning law changes are favorable to them and their clients.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:01 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,228,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
NY did the same thing. They upped the license plate fee, got rid of some sales tax exemptions, and they are about to pass the highest cigarette taxes in the country, all so some state workers can retire at the age of 55 with a fat pension.
What's wrong with getting a pension if you've put in the time? Off topic, I know, but I'm just curious why the opposition to someone earning a pension. The military, police and firefighters get pensions yet I never hear any complaints about that, just the blue collar worker's pensions.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
What's wrong with getting a pension if you've put in the time? Off topic, I know, but I'm just curious why the opposition to someone earning a pension. The military, police and firefighters get pensions yet I never hear any complaints about that, just the blue collar worker's pensions.
Pensions are great until someone has to pay for them. It's ridiculous to guarantee anyone anything, particularly when people in the private sector have to fend for themselves. States should start switching to defined contributions (401k's) instead of defined benefits (pensions) IMO. Sorry, but I don't see how it's fair for a NY state worker to get a fat pension while people in the private sector deal with ever-increasing property taxes, sales taxes, and income taxes, while jobs are being shed and companies are moving out of state.

State workers in NY have it so good, their pensions are EXEMPT from NY income taxes.

In case you hadn't noticed, pensions didn't exactly help the General Motors when it came to staying afloat as a business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida