Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Florida: taxes, insurance, cost of living, traffic, prozac.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 09:47 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,491,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
Why is someone who has moved away's negative opinion less valuable than someone who just moved to Florida's positive opinion???

If anything I'd think the person who'd lived there long enough and left would know more about the place than someone who just got there, but then that's probably just me trying to be logical again..
Thank you I agree, my 23 years there I think has more ground for an opinion than your 6 months. Come back to me when your actually considered a "Floridian" , natives consider it being a resident for 10 years or more. Go through a hurricane Andrew, Charlie, and Wilma at least once a year then tell me how great it is.. I bet the palm tree's look pretty in the new sky light they made in your house when they come tumbling down.

And if there every complainers on this earth my god its the Northerners. Its funny though the ones that live up here and stick it out don't seem to mind. Just the other day I had a very interesting converstaion with about 6 people in a store about the heat and how they CAN'T WAIT for winter to roll around. Hmm must not be that bad for people to want it.

My entire life I had to hear about ohhh the snow, the ice, the cold, the rain, the spring hurts my allergies, the leaves have to be raked, oh the traffic is horrible, heating is so high, weather changes too much, taxes are expensive, housing is expensive etc when They came down. THEN the real kickers was they came down, complained about EVERYTHING that wasn't like it was UP NORTH and tore everything down GREAT about Florida and built it up just like up north!!!!! Its the greatest joke of all time..

I so much as mentioned in Florida I wanted to move up north and my god it was like storm of, oh you'll be back in a year, the snow is so gross, the ice is horrible, you can never get warm. Shut up already it was all just over exaggerated BS from all of them. My husband grew up in TRIPLE negatives durning winter, had snow on the ground by September every year , didn't melt till MAY and he never ONCE complained about it. Infact he missed it.Seriously your the bunch of whiners, no wonder you all moved to Florida, you can't hack anything else but one season a year. One track minds can only handle so much.

Last edited by Tarastomsgirl; 08-10-2007 at 09:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 10:56 AM

2,227 posts, read 8,215,703 times
to be so mad, i think you didnt want to move out of fla, but you had to. there's gotta be something more to the story i think.

i lived in rural western nc, and i didnt like it, but i am not on that forum talking bad about everything i didnt like. if they like it, fine. i'm not going to go on the nc forum and complain though.

plus, who wants it to be 65 degrees in august? i know i wouldnt. and it must be a rare exception, b/c it's hot everywhere right now. not just fla.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:16 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,297,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
to be so mad, i think you didnt want to move out of fla, but you had to. there's gotta be something more to the story i think.

i lived in rural western nc, and i didnt like it, but i am not on that forum talking bad about everything i didnt like. if they like it, fine. i'm not going to go on the nc forum and complain though.

No one is saying complain, but have you not shared with anyone over there considering a move to Western NC what you did not like about it???

If not let's just consider it a difference in opinion on what this board is about. It's not just about all that is wonderful about every location in the country, but about information good AND bad. If you choose not to share your experiences in the NC forum that's your business, but some here have a different understanding of what the forum is about I guess...

And before someone says, "People keep saying the same negative stuff over and over again and I'm sick of it!!!!" remember that the same questions are asked over and over again and that the same positive things are repeated time and time again as well......

ie. If people keep asking the same questions, they'll receive the same answers that those before them did. Sorry some of you have been here for a year and have seen that answer multiple times, but those asking the questions obviously haven't....

Old 08-10-2007, 11:43 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
No one is saying complain, but have you not shared with anyone over there considering a move to Western NC what you did not like about it???

If not let's just consider it a difference in opinion on what this board is about. It's not just about all that is wonderful about every location in the country, but about information good AND bad. If you choose not to share your experiences in the NC forum that's your business, but some here have a different understanding of what the forum is about I guess...

And before someone says, "People keep saying the same negative stuff over and over again and I'm sick of it!!!!" remember that the same questions are asked over and over again and that the same positive things are repeated time and time again as well......

ie. If people keep asking the same questions, they'll receive the same answers that those before them did. Sorry some of you have been here for a year and have seen that answer multiple times, but those asking the questions obviously haven't....
VAfury - sharing valid opinions, good and bad, is supposed to be what this forum is all about. I think the issue for some here, myself included, is with those who have left Florida but feel the need to come here and SPEW in a hateful way. I understand there are a lot of negatives about this state (and every other), but there is a respectful way to say it, and some of these people are just not showing respect, and some of us find it rather irritating.

JMO

Old 08-10-2007, 11:47 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,132,449 times
Another problem is the overblown generalizations.

Some may have lived here 23 years, but where? Most of the things I have seen advertised as huge negatives in Florida don't apply to the are I live in, or many other areas of the state.

Like "there's nowhere in Florida without a serious crime problem"

Uh, yes there is.....sorry.

Old 08-10-2007, 12:10 PM

120 posts, read 170,717 times
I have lived here for over a decade so I consider myself to have enough experience to post on here (some may think otherwise).

I find that most people that are negative have lived here for a while. I think they are more upset with the fact that Florida is changing than with the actual issues. People complain about illegal immigrants. I wish I could find stats on how many there were, but considering there are no solid numbers available, I wonder where these people are getting their information from. Florida may have high crime compared to 15 years ago. On the national scale though, I think Florida blends right in with the rest of the states. As far as Florida being expensive, I just have to laugh. I'm sorry but I looked and a 1 bedroom condo in one of the major metros would have cost more than my 3 bed, 2 bath house in Ft. Myers. I realize HOI and taxes are a factor, but there are taxes that Florida doesn't have that other areas do have. Ft. Myers has a decent amount of professional jobs for a city of its size. The service sector is where the problem lies. Most people leaving Florida were employed in construction and retail. I don't see too many unhappy doctors or lawyers on here. I don't see any microbiologists. I don't see any engineers complaining. I don't even see business owners on here. I do see a lot of people that worked at Wal-mart, Target, and Publix on here complaining though. I realize not everyone can be a doctor and a lawyer. Unfortunately that is part of life. To blame Florida because you can't live comfortably on a Target salary is absurd (sp?). If lack of professional jobs was the main problem with Florida, most Floridians would be flocking to Seattle, New York, D.C., Houston, and Dallas instead of the Appalachian Mountains.

Old 08-10-2007, 12:49 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,491,224 times
[quote=florida1;1251908] I do see a lot of people that worked at Wal-mart, Target, and Publix on here complaining though. I realize not everyone can be a doctor and a lawyer. Unfortunately that is part of life. To blame Florida because you can't live comfortably on a Target salary is absurd (sp?).

We couldn't live on my husbands PD Salary,, That is absurd. Government workers can't live the survive there so how can people who are average working class

Old 08-10-2007, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
VAfury - sharing valid opinions, good and bad, is supposed to be what this forum is all about. I think the issue for some here, myself included, is with those who have left Florida but feel the need to come here and SPEW in a hateful way. I understand there are a lot of negatives about this state (and every other), but there is a respectful way to say it, and some of these people are just not showing respect, and some of us find it rather irritating.

JMO
That's understandable. I really only know of one or two that really do that though. From the posts I read here you'd think there were 50 or so...

Old 08-10-2007, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Another problem is the overblown generalizations.

Some may have lived here 23 years, but where? Most of the things I have seen advertised as huge negatives in Florida don't apply to the are I live in, or many other areas of the state.

Like "there's nowhere in Florida without a serious crime problem"

Uh, yes there is.....sorry.
Yeah, this is true as well....

Old 08-10-2007, 01:22 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,100,245 times
[quote=Tarastomsgirl;1252200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida1 View Post
I do see a lot of people that worked at Wal-mart, Target, and Publix on here complaining though. I realize not everyone can be a doctor and a lawyer. Unfortunately that is part of life. To blame Florida because you can't live comfortably on a Target salary is absurd (sp?).

We couldn't live on my husbands PD Salary,, That is absurd. Government workers can't live the survive there so how can people who are average working class
You do seem quite upset that your in FL. i've been here 13 years myself, grew up in Northern N.H. walking 2 miles one way to school in below 0 temps so i know what your husband went through too.

I have to agree with you though that a lot of people do seem to complain that they couldn't survive in FL working as a cashier at Walmart, Target, kmart, Publix or wherever, and it's true, you can't but come on now, these jobs were not meant to be lifelong careers. These jobs are for high school kids, college students or retirees just looking for part time work to supplement their income. Even BASIC general customer service is at the bottom of the list for good paying jobs. All these jobs do not take any skills to do and anyone can do it so yeah, your not going to get good pay with any of them and that goes for anywhere in the U.S not just FL. and for those who have made careers out of these jobs, it's going to be that much tougher to find any better paying jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida