Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 02:13 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times

Advertisements

Well, I am a Florida native, but now also have a home in Asheville, NC, so I post on both forums and love my area in each of my states.

What I have noticed is that the Fla. forum has a lot of posts by a lot of the same "regulars", and the NC forum has a lot of posts from more new people exploring new options. There is a lot of interest in NC right now for different reasons, and not everyone inquiring there is coming from Florida.

And as for NC being in 1863 - well, here in Asheville I feel like I am back in the 1960's - and for me that's a GOOD thing! Nice and mellow. Of course it feels the same way in Lakeland too, and that is exactly what drew us to it. So, I'm a happy camper in both states!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 02:17 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by he's so hott View Post
This is true. Norf Carolina is hot right b/c the housing is cheap for now and you see all those post from northerns repetitively talking about how much house they've gotten for their money by coming to Norf Carolina. Plus, all you see is people over there posting about how family oriented Norf Carolina and how many activities there are for families. It just seems like Norf Carolina and Florida attract two different sets of people. People with families moving to NC b/c of cheap housing and people moving to FLA just b/c.

I wonder what will happen in 3 or 4 years when the housing in NC isn't as cheap and people start to really weigh other factors besides housing? The luster will wear off as soon as the home prices start to creep up making it harder for first time home buyers to get into the market. Once that advantage is out the window and you start comparing FL and NC on the other merits (excluding this whole family thing) NC may not come out on top.
unlike lot of the other states during the housing bubble north carolina only had healthy appreication in home values and hardly any market is above 6 percent a few 12 percent and only 14 counties out of 100 are expected above the national average in growth.
http://demog.state.nc.us/demog/gif/prog32.gif (broken link) (broken link)

Old 07-02-2007, 02:23 PM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,498,353 times
Default Not just data from one source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
Fact is there are not more leaving then coming, only one moving company put that info out and people think it is gold.

This observation does not support any fact at all other then

it does however support that more people in NC sit on the puter because they have nothing else to do for 8 months out of the year when it is cold while those in Florida are outside enjoying themselves in the beautiful outdoors.

Using one website as a support tool is lame, I didnt even find this forum until recently and have been posting on them for more then 15 years.

The govt data suggest there are more people moving from northerner states such as Mich, Minn, Wis, Ohio, Pa, Ill, etc south to states like Fla, NC, SC, Ga.

Although I like NC myself, the amount of post on this forum has nothing to do with people liking or disliking it.

Fact is, there are many posters right here on this board who have moved from Fla to NC and want to move back to Fla.

Not too long ago USA today did a poll and it was overwhelmingly stated that people are moving southward and NC was no 2 on the list behind, yup, Florida!

So please when using data as way to convince people you cannot use one median as your lone agruement or point, because the amount of post on any forum mean nothing.

If we were to use that analogy then Alaska has more post then 22 other states but that does not mean people are flocking to Alaska.

Sorry but here is data from the three MAJOR moving companies:

Leaving the Sunshine State

The number of customers who used one of the country's three largest moving companies to move their possessions into and out of Florida for the past three years.

UNITED VAN LINES

In Out

2006 16,212 17,019

2005 18,601 15,726

2004 20,455 13,673

ATLAS VAN LINES

In Out

2006 6,716 7,994

2005 8,579 8,256

2004 9,069 7,180

ALLIED VAN LINES

In Out

2006 6,953 8,894

2005 9,385 9,300

2004 10,722 8,987

Sources: Unigroup, Atlas World Group, Serva

Old 07-02-2007, 02:30 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,456,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKB View Post
Sorry but here is data from the three MAJOR moving companies:

Leaving the Sunshine State

The number of customers who used one of the country's three largest moving companies to move their possessions into and out of Florida for the past three years.

UNITED VAN LINES

In Out

2006 16,212 17,019

2005 18,601 15,726

2004 20,455 13,673

ATLAS VAN LINES

In Out

2006 6,716 7,994

2005 8,579 8,256

2004 9,069 7,180

ALLIED VAN LINES

In Out

2006 6,953 8,894

2005 9,385 9,300

2004 10,722 8,987

Sources: Unigroup, Atlas World Group, Serva
Hmm. I didn't use any of these moving companies above when I relocated IN to Florida .

Old 07-02-2007, 02:47 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,662,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
Bwahahaha! ROFL! I post in both forums, am a native of Miami having lived in NC for the past year, and this statement has me in hysterics! Oooh, NC is sooo cold, I've been freezing up here for the past two months - in the A/C because it has been in the 90's! Check the stats on city-data and you'll see that there is maybe four months of cold weather. Talk about not knowing your facts before spewing them on the internet.

But, I do agree that the number of posts on these forums isn't necessarily indicative of population ebbs and flows. The NC forum has a LOT of needlessly repetitive posts (mostly about schools and "which area is better") that could be cut back on if people actually used the search function. Not that other forums don't suffer the same thing, but there is a lot of traffic from new posters in the NC forum and I see a lot of the same questions being asked constantly.

The cold/warm sentence was intended as a joke..... Any fair minded person would see that posting numbers on a forum is not a sign of what the OP thought when they posted, therefore this was a cold/warm joke that you should have recognized. As you state below in paragraph two, the numbers mean nothing.

I am very aware of the growth in NC especially around Raleigh/Greensboro/Durham etc areas as I am in those areas on a monthly basis. NC has something other states do not have, you can go to the beach or the mountains within 8 hours of each other which is a plus.

I love the Blue Ridge Parkway, towns of Lenior and Boone etc and in no way feel you could compare Florida and NC, they are not alike at all.

My point was simply that numbers posted on this is any other forum mean othing as to the popularity of that area, hence, Alaska has more post then 22 other states...............

Old 07-02-2007, 03:01 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,213,769 times
yes, i agree, i am not sure what that is supposed to mean by nc having more posts than fla. i bet ny has a lot of posts, along with mass and illin., but that doesnt mean that there is a "buzz" about the place. if anything, many of them are moving to the southeast, so what does the activity/stats mean for those states?

Old 07-02-2007, 03:18 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,159,933 times
Can the moderators or Admin let us know how many posters are registered in NC and Fl. I do believe that we have less Florida members using the forum than NC.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:38 PM

109 posts, read 392,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post

My point was simply that numbers posted on this is any other forum mean othing as to the popularity of that area, hence, Alaska has more post then 22 other states...............

Alaska has lots of military interest as well as those beautiful cruises you can take to the glaziers and fiords. Not to mention the trips into the wilderness.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:47 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,662,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Hmm. I didn't use any of these moving companies above when I relocated IN to Florida .
And I wouldn't use them either so using the point of the in/out as reported by these moving companies would not be a valid assessment.

Anyway the original poster thought was the amount of post on this board would be a valid way of seeing which is more popular or which one is growing or losing in people, and in my opinion one forum numbers would be nothing to this fact.

Again, Alaska has more post then 22 much larger states with a larger amount of population then those states but has more post on this forum, meaning absolutely nothing.

Old 07-02-2007, 06:56 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
Can the moderators or Admin let us know how many posters are registered in NC and Fl. I do believe that we have less Florida members using the forum than NC.
I dont think that would be accurate way to determine anything as well due to someone might register in a hotel in some state they stop in on the way somewhere most of sign in was anoymous or ability to put whatever someone chose as there location Often I will put this place in kentucky when I register for anything due to I know this place in middle of stick of woods and I like to throw anyone trying to do data of their customer base to throw them off LOL.

I agree there is alot of repeated posts and yes people should use the search feature to see if anyone posted a similar question but the problem with that the search feature picks up threads and posts and sometimes they are not even related to what you are looking for

For instance if someone was searching for orlando schools and the thread title that has the exact information they need but it not listed in the thread title the poster listed as Orlando then you have to sift thru all the threads and hope you cross the one that petains to you.

There might be curiousity about North Carolina the state and way of life is why it has more post count but that probably a small reason.

If you was to judge the other catergories not related to state you would get an assumption that more people like politics and controversy due to that thread has more thread counts than the other sub topics. I avoid that area due to I dont want to get in a battle over what rosie odoneell or paris hilton or any other world controversies that my opinion isnt going to solve the problem.

Instead lets alll go ask wacky questions in the Rhode Island forum to boost it thread count lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: