Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Oddball
Jacksonville 22 48.89%
Orlando 4 8.89%
Tampa 5 11.11%
Miami 14 31.11%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 11:31 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,406,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Exactly, it's funny when people think "Miami" is "Florida." And that people think of FL as palm trees, ocean, beautiful women, and expensive cars. That is how Miami is portrayed. It isn't reality. Jax is much more like the real FL than Miami.
So you're saying that the "REAL FLORIDA" of Jacksonville has no palm trees, ocean or beautiful women and we're supposed to want to move there -- why??

The REAL FLORIDA has NO PALM TREES!?!?!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 05:38 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptoid Humidian View Post
So you're saying that the "REAL FLORIDA" of Jacksonville has no palm trees, ocean or beautiful women and we're supposed to want to move there -- why??

Who says anyone wants you or anyone else to move anywhere? The forum is for asking questions and getting answers. It's not the Chamber of Commerce.

Florida is not a tourist poster. It's a real state. It's also a long and large state with different weather, people, flora and fauna.

Once again, I think the original question is bizarre. All of those cities are part of Florida. Anyone that thinks any of the cities do not belong in the state probably doesn't really understand Florida or its history.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:14 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptoid Humidian View Post

Huh? "The real Florida of Jacksonville?" What does that even mean?

Old 02-27-2011, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Who says anyone wants you or anyone else to move anywhere? The forum is for asking questions and getting answers. It's not the Chamber of Commerce.

Florida is not a tourist poster. It's a real state. It's also a long and large state with different weather, people, flora and fauna.

Once again, I think the original question is bizarre. All of those cities are part of Florida. Anyone that thinks any of the cities do not belong in the state probably doesn't really understand Florida or its history.
Hiknapster, we agree on most things, but......Miami doesn't belong.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:33 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Quote:
Hiknapster, we agree on most things, but......Miami doesn't belong.
Miami absolutely belongs. Floridas main money maker is tourism. Outside of the mouse in Orlando, People go to Miami.

I can promise you there is not one household in America that, after getting word of their vacation date says " I'm going to Jacksonville! " or " I'm going to Tallahassee. "

Old 02-27-2011, 06:44 AM

Miami belongs. Contrary to what people think, Miami was yes, first settled by native Americans, but it became a Spanish settlement in the 1500s.

As I said, Florida is many things to many different people. It's a big state. You can either think that's wonderful or not but it's Florida.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
Miami absolutely belongs. Floridas main money maker is tourism. Outside of the mouse in Orlando, People go to Miami.

I can promise you there is not one household in America that, after getting word of their vacation date says " I'm going to Jacksonville! " or " I'm going to Tallahassee. "

So... we're looking at this from a tourists' point of view now?

Old 02-27-2011, 08:07 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
All of those cities are part of Florida.
The point is not what cities are or are not part of FL, it's about which of those cities blends in less with the perception of people, and other cities in FL.

Jax is nothing like any other city in FL. When you're there you don't think, "Oh, warm, beautiful FL!"

It simply doesn't fit in well with other FL cities. That's not saying it's not part of the state (as much as I would like it not to be ) it simply says it's the oddball compared to the rest.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:20 AM

Thank God Jax is very much a part of FL.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
So... we're looking at this from a tourists' point of view now?
Exactly. Who cares what a tourist thinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
The point is not what cities are or are not part of FL, it's about which of those cities blends in less with the perception of people, and other cities in FL.

Jax is nothing like any other city in FL. When you're there you don't think, "Oh, warm, beautiful FL!"

It simply doesn't fit in well with other FL cities. That's not saying it's not part of the state (as much as I would like it not to be ) it simply says it's the oddball compared to the rest.
With all due respect, I don't understand why you would care if Jacksonville is part of the state or not. I mean, really? Really? Didn't you just move to Florida? Your sentiment seems a bit immature. Are you young? Because thinking that I would like a city to leave a state, especially a state I just moved to, would be the last thing I would have on my mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida