Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 11:59 AM

444 posts, read 1,143,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali's Grandma View Post
A native Floridian is someone who was BORN in Florida.
If you were born somewhere else, you would be native of THERE.
You might have ancestors native of here.

I am a native of Illinois but have lived here for 25 yrs. So am not a native of Florida.
What about those that grew up in Florida? What if they were born there but went back to...say...Washington and never knew about the origin of where they were born? I think a native is someone that is not only born in a place but grew up there long enough to have memories that will last.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 06:27 PM

268 posts, read 900,024 times
WAZ UP PEOPLES!

The Floridian is back in true form!

I'm native! Raised in a swamp, swam out at 5, began renting at 17, at 30 cruise control, at 40 retired, now at 43 Im confused which new country I wanna see, China or Tahiti?

Oh, did I mention Im native?

Old 09-16-2017, 09:38 PM

1 posts, read 4,037 times
I was born in South Florida and Raised in South Florida for 13 years now because I'm only 13
was born on January 27 2004

Old 09-18-2017, 07:05 AM

784 posts, read 1,981,366 times
Anyone living in Florida can be considered a Floridian. A person who has lived in Florida, but no longer does can consider themselves a Floridian at heart, but to be considered a native Floridian, one has to be born in Florida. Native just refers to where one is born and nothing else.

Old 01-08-2018, 03:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,801 times
If someone is born in Ohio, but brought to Florida as an infant, is he a Floridian?

Old 01-08-2018, 05:12 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedAChange View Post
I'm confused--they say on this board that there are few native Floridians, but wasn't the large African American community mostly born there?

Also, just as a point of fact, if an illegal alien comes into Florida and has a kid there, that kid is a native Floridian.
Indians that used to live in FL. Everyone else has moved in.

Now if maybe a 3rd generation family then OK you can be considered a "Native" Floridian.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:23 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,181,006 times
One of the definitions is "a local inhabitant". That would describe me. And one day recently I woke up and realized that I've lived 2/3 of my life here and though I'd thought about leaving twice, and had the opportunity to do so, I chickened out. I just can't bring myself to do it. Where could I possibly go that I could have it as good as I've had it here?

And then it dawned on me: native or not, I am a Floridian and like it here, warts and all. Florida is a part of me now, and that's that.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
One of the definitions is "a local inhabitant". That would describe me. And one day recently I woke up and realized that I've lived 2/3 of my life here and though I'd thought about leaving twice, and had the opportunity to do so, I chickened out. I just can't bring myself to do it. Where could I possibly go that I could have it as good as I've had it here?

And then it dawned on me: native or not, I am a Floridian and like it here, warts and all. Florida is a part of me now, and that's that.
Good for you

Old 01-09-2018, 08:13 AM

784 posts, read 1,981,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren jware View Post
If someone is born in Ohio, but brought to Florida as an infant, is he a Floridian?
He would be considered a Floridian for as long as he is a resident of Florida, but he will always be a native of Ohio since that was where he was born. If he lives in Florida for a while, he will be considered a 'long time Floridian.'

Old 01-09-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
He would be considered a Floridian for as long as he is a resident of Florida, but he will always be a native of Ohio since that was where he was born. If he lives in Florida for a while, he will be considered a 'long time Floridian.'
Yep, a difference between a "Native" Floridian and a resident Floridian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida