Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you ever been a victim of crime?
No 17 42.50%
Yes, once 9 22.50%
Yes, more than once 14 35.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 06:59 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,765,677 times

Advertisements

Thanks to all of you who voiced concern for my son's death and who wish the best for my grandson and his mom. (She is a wonderful mother and we remain close, thankfully).

The ironic thing was that my best friend's son joined the military and my son went off to college the same month after high school. I remember thinking about how much I would worry if my son had chosen the military, especially during wartime. Now her son has finished his "enlistment term" (I don't know what they call it) in the Marines, is home safe and sound, newly married, and going to college while my son is gone. You just never know what is around the corner. There are a lot of sick, cruel, and thoughtless people out there who think nothing of taking a life for their own gain. It's a scary world.
My mom's car was stolen out of her driveway 2 years ago here in Charleston and my lawnmower was stolen from my garage last year...so it's not just in Florida, believe me.

(I can't help it, though, I still think of Orlando and Winter Park as a dark and sinister place because that is where my son's life was taken....where I've had to meet with the Orange County homicide detectives, where I had to go to clean out my son's apartment, meet with his professors, take care of all his debts....a nightmare that still haunts me. I have to say, though, that everyone I had to deal with down there was very kind and helpful, right down to the Ryder rental truck people who let me use the truck for free when they found out why I was there. Simple acts of kindness by the locals and college took some of the pain and bite out of my tragedy and for that I am forever grateful.)

Last edited by SCBeaches; 07-15-2007 at 07:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 10:43 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,172,833 times
I haven't lived in Florida for a lot of years, but back when I lived there, my roommate was raped by a guy who climbed in one of our windows and threatened her with a knife. He was eventually caught (via fingerprints and hair -- we didn't know him). We went to trial. He wasn't convicted. This happened in Orlando.

Old 07-16-2007, 05:07 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,936,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
My son and only child was murdered in Winter Park 5 years ago. He was a full-time honors college student who would have graduated in 2 more months. He was in his own apartment and some local thugs didn't think anyone was home, kicked his door in, pushed him to the floor, and attempted to rob his apartment. (He and his roomate were film and music majors and had all kinds of recording equipment in a third bedroom they used as a studio). Apparently these animals heard about it and came to steal what they could haul out. Well, my son fought back and one of them shot him and they ran off. My son made the 911 call (as well as many others in the building), the paramedics arrived in less than 5 minutes, but he lost his life within minutes of arriving at the hospital. No arrests have been made to date even though there was a rash of the same thing happening at other off-campus apts. within a mile or two of my son's apartment. It's very frustrating and the hardest thing I have ever had to deal with in my life. He was my only child and my parents' only grandchild so this has taken a huge toll on our family in many ways.
My only saving grace is that my son's long-time girlfriend and him had a baby together that same year. (at that time, I scolded both of them for being so careless and now having to grow up too fast, etc... but now, I know that my grandson's birth was meant to be). My grandson is now 5 and he lives with his mom and her fiance in Palm Coast and I get to see him often.

So, yes, I have been a victim of the worst kind of crime one can experience in Florida, or anywhere.
SCBeaches, I am so sorry for your pain and loss. I hope they find the animals that did this to your son. Big hug.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:35 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,194,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
My house has been broken into several times. Several cars stolen. An armed robbery when I had the bar. An almost second till I produced a gun with intentions of shooting it out with them and they ran away. Dozens of thefts from the property.

I had a bike stolen just two weeks ago from the yard. One of my neighbors was killed in a robbery. Some may remember it, she was the manager of a Fish and Chips place at 441 and Davie Blvd. She was getting in her car and a kid walked up and shot her in the face killing her instantly and stole her money bag. Theres more but thats enough.
I forgot to add, that one of those break-in's was when I was having some roof work done. I was robbed by one of the workers. Another time a house was being tented and it was robbed that night. Someone went in while the chemical was in the place. When I called the cops it turns out this is a little fact the exterminators like to keep quiet. There are guys who will go in with a mask who specialize in this kind of robbery. Once the tent goes on your house the chances of getting robbed just went up like a 1000%.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:52 PM

4,895 posts, read 14,142,093 times
When my former H and I moved to Perico Island/Bradenton, in Aug. of 1991, our trans am & camaro were almost stolen by gang members during initiation month (which we later learned was in August). Luckily we had the clubs as well as alarms and the cars were parked right outside our bedroom window so we heard the racket.

Nothing can compare to the loss of a child or spouse/family member through violent crime.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:00 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,657,411 times
I was followed and cut off by a car full of jerks with ny license plates years ago, before cell phones were in use, while I was on my way from Ft Lauderdale to Miami Int'l to catch an early morning flight. It was still dark outside and there was no way to avoid these dirtbags who would speed up ahead of me then hit the brakes, ( multiple times) tried to cut me off, then the last straw was when they started heaving beer bottles out the window.

I produced the colonel, fired one off at a tire and that ended their "ny tough guy" routine right quick.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:02 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post

I produced the colonel, fired one off at a tire and that ended their "ny tough guy" routine right quick.
Sounds good .

Old 07-17-2007, 06:04 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,657,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
Sounds good .
Worked well

Old 07-17-2007, 06:12 PM

16 posts, read 38,239 times
I'm sorry for your loss, God Bless....Chris

Old 07-17-2007, 06:15 PM

16 posts, read 38,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
My son and only child was murdered in Winter Park 5 years ago. He was a full-time honors college student who would have graduated in 2 more months. He was in his own apartment and some local thugs didn't think anyone was home, kicked his door in, pushed him to the floor, and attempted to rob his apartment. (He and his roomate were film and music majors and had all kinds of recording equipment in a third bedroom they used as a studio). Apparently these animals heard about it and came to steal what they could haul out. Well, my son fought back and one of them shot him and they ran off. My son made the 911 call (as well as many others in the building), the paramedics arrived in less than 5 minutes, but he lost his life within minutes of arriving at the hospital. No arrests have been made to date even though there was a rash of the same thing happening at other off-campus apts. within a mile or two of my son's apartment. It's very frustrating and the hardest thing I have ever had to deal with in my life. He was my only child and my parents' only grandchild so this has taken a huge toll on our family in many ways.
My only saving grace is that my son's long-time girlfriend and him had a baby together that same year. (at that time, I scolded both of them for being so careless and now having to grow up too fast, etc... but now, I know that my grandson's birth was meant to be). My grandson is now 5 and he lives with his mom and her fiance in Palm Coast and I get to see him often.

So, yes, I have been a victim of the worst kind of crime one can experience in Florida, or anywhere.
I'm sorry for your loss. God Bless, Chris
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida