Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 02:10 PM

10 posts, read 14,040 times

Advertisements

my family's from michigan. were firm middle class with a yearly income of about $100,000. we're looking for a low crime area and looking to buy a house for less than $200,000 & near a school. thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 02:36 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,542,018 times
I'm sorry, but that info is just too generic. Almost anyplace in Florida could fit that request.

Florida is a LONG, big state. The climate is much different between say Tallahassee and Miami. Which do you prefer? Do you prefer coastal or inland? City or country? Gated community or not? What type of schools? Do you have kids? Do you need a job? What field are you in? Etc,Etc,Etc......

Frank

Old 02-08-2011, 02:37 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,753,203 times
You might do well to let people know where in Florida you will be working so they can offer some advice.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:39 PM

10 posts, read 14,040 times
basically, we're up for anything. we want the lowest crime rate and very affordable

Old 02-09-2011, 02:19 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,355,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmetoflorida View Post
basically, we're up for anything. we want the lowest crime rate and very affordable
Is the sole motivation for this move a new found dislike of winter?

Old 02-09-2011, 04:55 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,782,080 times
^^^ Agree with Jambo, if that is the reason... Bad idea. I am leaving FL because of the weather, yet i have a lot of money saved, and a job when I get there. Not to mention, where I am going is 7.8% unemplyment statewide. Not 12+%

Old 02-09-2011, 06:37 AM

817 posts, read 2,253,162 times
As others have said, you haven't given us much to go on. Using simply what you've given us, I'd recommend a rural community in the panhandle, in an inland location.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:49 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,853,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmetoflorida View Post
my family's from michigan. were firm middle class with a yearly income of about $100,000. we're looking for a low crime area and looking to buy a house for less than $200,000 & near a school. thank you
Are you bringing that income with you, or are you expecting to find jobs that will keep you at that income level? If you are bringing it with you, do you work from home, are you being transferred? If you work from home, that opens up the entire state. If one of you is being transferred, where are the office locations?

You want to be near a school. Pre-school, Elementary, Middle, High? All of the above? How near do you want to be? In my area, I drive past 3 elementary schools and a high school in a 3.5 mile drive to my daughter's before & after school care. Other areas are a bit more rural.

Low crime means different things to different people. Some people come from a place where an occasional car jacking is just a part of life. Others think it is the worst thing in the world if someone tramples their flowerbed.

I am assuming you want to be near a beach since that is what most people new to Florida want. If you want a beach, are you looking for surfing or a relaxing beach to lounge on?

Do you want it to be pretty warm year round, or would you like for it to get cold for a few nights a year?

Is your family an outdoorsy family that is always out and looking for activities, or more of the stay at home and sometimes go to the mall kind of family?

We just need a little more information to really be any help.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:09 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,355,243 times
Quote:
looking for a low crime area
Maybe we can take this aspect of the search as a given as every one includes it in their search criteria and i have yet to see any one specify that they are looking for a high crime area.
We can also add good schools as a given as i doubt any one will accept putting their kids in bad schools.
Lots of job opportunities!! well duh,Unless you are independently wealthy,retired or plan on living off your lottery winnings a place with lots of jobs might be handy..

Old 02-09-2011, 03:00 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,659,574 times
Unless you work from home and your income is coming with you, good luck thinking your income level will remain the same in FL.

Even RNs take a big pay cut when they come from out of state.

Sounds to me like your looking out the window on a cold winter day and not thinking clearly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida