Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 01:15 PM

13 posts, read 18,376 times

Advertisements

I guess I could be included in the "desperate for paradise" posts you refer to, but please don't include me in the "they all seem to be wack jobs and think it's paradise year round. Especially the Keys". I've lived in Florida before (Jacksonville where I have a lot of family still, St. Augustine, Clearwater and even Key West when I was very very young due to the Navy).

Do I think that Florida is much better than my current place? Most definitely, but not because of just the weather. I am not happy with Richmond, VA as I just don't particularly feel it is "home". And, if I can afford to up and move to Florida in search of that "paradise" then so be it. Far be it for anyone to tell me that I'm "crazy" for this. The same goes for anyone who decides they just want to get away from their current life. If they're able to go down there and make it, why think negatively about them? How do you think that any of the states became the way that they are?

I'm desperate to move to South Florida personally, yes because of the beautiful weather and atmosphere. But also because that is the nature of my personality and my desire for life. I'm not a cold weather person, I don't like the snow and crappy weather that the north has. It's called personal preference. So essentially, as long as a person has some type of reality in their desires and wants then why look at them as though they are wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 01:40 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,148,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hicarbon View Post
"as long as a person has some type of reality in their desires and wants then why look at them as though they are wrong?"

ANSWER: Because their lives turned miserable and they need to blame something for it.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:57 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,792,622 times
hicarbon-

We see the same pattern over and over again on this forum, especially in the winter. Florida is a nice place. We don't think you are crazy for wanting to move here.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with dreaming about a better place to live. The problem is we get MANY posters who don't want to believe what contradicts their vision of Florida. They'll argue with people who actually live here about what it is like-the good and the bad. Anything that portrays life other than a postcard or their vacation to Disney last winter simply can't be true. The core issue is realistic expectations.

Here is a set of threads that portrays this exactly. If you don't want to slog through it I'll summarize: A middle aged woman quit her $150K job for the same salary she made in 1983. She moved from NJ after coming here for a job interview in February.

Four months later, she moved back. In her final posts she admitted everything we told her was true. She chose to ignore the honest advice people were giving her and focused on the weather and ignored everything else.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/flori...y-morning.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/flori...es-thread.html
Hey gang! I am on my way down!
http://www.city-data.com/forum/flori...re-naples.html

I made a video:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ad5paRXNWVg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Old 02-14-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
hicarbon-
The core issue is realistic expectations.
That is where I differ from many and get irritated with the "Why do they...." posts I suppose. I've lived in Florida (as well as many other states) and have family who still live there, so I am one of those "looking for paradise" people who actually has a grasp on reality.

For example: I want to move to Key West, I want the beautiful weather, beautiful water, laid back life. Shorts and flip flops year round. However, I know that the idea of being able to lie on the beach every single day all day long isn't reality. Unless I meet a sugar mama who will allow it or I win the lottery and become a millionaire over night that is. But for me, working as a bartender or a waiter, bar back, on a boat fishing, even cleaning rooms at a hotel is still paradise. Why? Because I live in Key West. Because I know that when I get off work I can still ride my bike to the beach if I'd like (even if it is raining). Because when I wake up in the morning, I'm in Key West. I'm IN the island paradise I want. I unlike many actually know there is crappy weather, less than desirable living conditions (unless you're making really good money) and will have to work many hours and quite possibly even 2 jobs to make ends meet. But I'm in Key West and can enjoy that same beautiful weather that the rich tourists get to enjoy on my off time. I don't need to be rich to enjoy the weather.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:13 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,792,622 times
I actually agree with you. I still maintain though, that your wants are no different form others who want to live in KW.

One other point-remember you asked for advice-you have just described what you imagine your life would be like in KW. In that respect your dreams are not a lot different from others who imagine what life would be like in (insert town here) in Florida. That doesn't mean your perception is wrong, or bad, or unrealistic or anything else. It's important to realize the limitations of that-recognize that real life in KW might not be how you imagined it. Prepare accordingly.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:30 PM

Completely agreed, RMD. I know that things won't be exactly how I expect them to be. Then again it doesn't matter WHERE you live, that is how life is. When I moved here to Richmond I didn't think things would end up being the way that they are. It really just takes planning, honesty and like you said, being realistic in what to expect. Always strive to reach the best, but understand that it may never be that way, you just have to be willing to accept something different if all else fails.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:18 AM

142 posts, read 294,403 times
Smile Snow, high taxes, and excessive energy costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LushTrees View Post
I've noticed quite a few threads referencing some sort of despair/urgency from an OP to move to Florida.

I find this interesting, because it's this sort of desperation that really spooks me about living here.

Granted, I haven't perused too many other state-sites, so perhaps desperate people are headed for all sorts of areas... But it really does concern me that that people who appear to be at their wits' ends look to come Florida. Why is Florida attracting people on the verge of their breaking-points? We are the laughing-stock of the nation, when it comes to this.

It can't just be the climate, alone. There's got to be something more to this... Please help me to connect the dots! TIA!
There are a lot of reasons people want to move to Florida. Personally, I want to get away from horrendous weather, high energy costs, and high state taxes. If you lived around waist deep snow 6 months out of the year you'd probably consider a move too. After thinking about it long and hard, I've come to the conclussion that I'd rather deal with the occassional hurricane than seemingly never ending snow. At least if a hurricane is on the way I can beat it out of town. People in the snow states don't have that option because the surrounding states are in the same boat you are. You can't even hop a plane and scram because of all the cancellations. We got hit with so much snow during the last blizzard that I couldn't get out of my house for almost two days. The snow was more than halfway up two doors. I couldn't get anyone to help me get out because everyone was in the same situation I was - which I consider a major safety hazzard.

Energy cost are out of control. My fuel cost to heat the house is anywhere from 1,400 to 1,600 a month - and that's with most of the rooms closed up and the thermost rarely above 62 degrees. I also have an additional bill for electric - rarely below 100 bucks even though I'm not a big energy consumer.

Taxes are rediculous. You're taxed for practically everything. I'm surprised the politicians here haven't come up with a way to tax the air we breathe.

Bottom line, even though many say Florida is expensive to live it can't be as bad as this.

BTW - With all the sun you have down there I'm surprised there are not many homes off the grid. Why is that? The first thing I'll do when I purchase a home is put solar panels to make my own energy. It will pay for itself in the long run.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:35 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
Quote:
If you lived around waist deep snow 6 months out of the year you'd probably consider a move too.
Really?

Old 02-15-2011, 04:05 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,654,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LushTrees View Post
I've noticed quite a few threads referencing some sort of despair/urgency from an OP to move to Florida.

I find this interesting, because it's this sort of desperation that really spooks me about living here.

Granted, I haven't perused too many other state-sites, so perhaps desperate people are headed for all sorts of areas... But it really does concern me that that people who appear to be at their wits' ends look to come Florida. Why is Florida attracting people on the verge of their breaking-points? We are the laughing-stock of the nation, when it comes to this.

It can't just be the climate, alone. There's got to be something more to this... Please help me to connect the dots! TIA!
How is Florida a laughing stock because people really want to get out of another state and move to Florida?

When I came to Florida 20 years ago I got home one night when it was 30 degrees, rainy and cold and decided I wasn't dealing with the weather anymore (there is more to it but that was a big reason) packed a bag and headed to the airport. I have been here since.

As for the threads on the subject, some people are just drama queens.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:07 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,654,320 times
Quote:
If you lived around waist deep snow 6 months out of the year you'd probably consider a move too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Really?
It is the same type of comment people make about Florida weather, just the other end of the spectrum so don't act as if this is the 1st person to make a silly weather comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida