Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 12:18 PM

142 posts, read 294,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
It is the same type of comment people make about Florida weather, just the other end of the spectrum so don't act as if this is the 1st person to make a silly weather comment.
Mike, this is not a silly weather comment but a fact. We've been hit with several blizzards this year - high winds + snow = high snow drifts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
She was 40 years old and moved to Naples.
Her problem was not doing enough research or doing like me and joining a carnival and just traveling all over Florida for the 1st 6 months.
Mike, that might be the case for some but not for everyone. There are a lot of people who are making the move right now to take advantage of the real estate opportunities. Some don't have to worry about money. Not everyone moving to Florida is a crazy shiftless lowlife as these thread mean to imply.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hicarbon View Post
Taxes are definitely a big factor for a lot of people. Taxes here in VA are the same way. Must be nice not paying any personal property taxes on even the smallest utility trailer that a cat couldn't fit on. LOL
Florida has property taxes and school taxes but no state income tax.

Last edited by Anamandy; 02-16-2011 at 12:27 PM.. Reason: word omission

Old 02-16-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hicarbon View Post
Oh and as far as the weather goes. I'm not sure where I saw this, I think either the History Channel or NatGeo but Florida actually has the most rainfall out of all of the states (I would have thought Washington or Oregon). I believe it adds up to being more because of the fact that it is so much bigger than those other states.
Actually, it has more to do with the fact that Florida is semi-tropical. I saw the same thing when I lived in the Caribbean as a teen.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:47 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,155,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anamandy View Post
Yes, really! With 70 mile an hour winds we've had snow drifts that were as high as 6'. Snow tends to build up around the houses in the way in that situation. Haven't you been watching the news about the snow storms that's been hitting this country?

There were days I opened my door and couldn't find the steps, walkway...nothing. When finally did get outside (hey I basically know where the steps are so it was a lot of stepping around VERY carefully) the snow was SO deep I cold barely walk. Granted I'm short, but still the snow was deep. And that was before wind even kicked in.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:53 PM

1,268 posts, read 3,001,090 times
Almost everyone in FL is a transplant from elsewhere and we have a lot of people who do live here. I think it can be said with 100% certainty that not everyone that moves here regrets it and then leaves.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:55 PM

5,025 posts, read 7,230,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
There were days I opened my door and couldn't find the steps, walkway...nothing. When finally did get outside (hey I basically know where the steps are so it was a lot of stepping around VERY carefully) the snow was SO deep I cold barely walk. Granted I'm short, but still the snow was deep. And that was before wind even kicked in.
Sounds like fun-at least for a little while.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:02 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,651,257 times
Quote:
Mike, this is not a silly weather comment but a fact. We've been hit with several blizzards this year - high winds + snow = high snow drifts.
It was an extreme exaggeration by you, unless you are up around the Arctic Circle. Yes, you had some bad storms up there but the snow hasn't been nor will it be 6 ft high for 6 months straight.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:06 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,651,257 times
Quote:
Mike, that might be the case for some but not for everyone. There are a lot of people who are making the move right now to take advantage of the real estate opportunities. Some don't have to worry about money. Not everyone moving to Florida is a crazy shiftless lowlife as these thread mean to imply.
I have lived in Florida for over 20 years, I know quite a bit about Florida.
Like the fact that she probably wasn't happy was because she was single and 40's moving to an area with an average age of about 70.

I never mentioned crazy shiftless lowlife, I mentioned her being 40 years old and moving to Naples and anyone that knows Florida would know what I was talking about.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:10 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,155,272 times
Quote:
It was an extreme exaggeration by you, unless you are up around the Arctic Circle. Yes, you had some bad storms up there but the snow hasn't been nor will it be 6 ft high for 6 months straight.
The only thing I can say about this is, first I agree while it seems like the snow will be here for 6 months it really won't be.

6feet high - well maybe more. However, it is mostly due to snow being plowed. Yes, some snow drifts did wind up high, but mostly the tall mounds of snow are from trying to clear parking lots and roadways.

It's really frustrating - the parking at work is very difficult. Regular snow plowing plus clearing the roof off, the cleared snow takes up half of our already small parking lot. Two of the grocery stores have 1-2 end aisles of the parking lots blocked off. They moved as much snow as they could over there so there could actually be parking for customers - and the parking lot still has tons of snow in it.

Schools had been closed some days after storms due to roadways being too narrow and fearing safety for the bus rides. My coworker's daughter's school was closed for a week. A snow day, then 4-5 more days off due to the roof not being safe.

Sorry, I think I'm getting a little off topic here. I start thinking of the weather and my frustrations take over. The weather has been bad, worse than in the past. Bottom line is it WILL clear up, but right now it's frustrating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida