Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2011, 06:54 AM

543 posts, read 3,078,157 times

Advertisements

Either by foraging or getting free surplus fruits from homes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 01:17 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,751,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansoku View Post
Either by foraging or getting free surplus fruits from homes?
Why would there be. I have mango trees and get a few thousand pounds of fruit every year. I could never use it all so I give it to a church that gets it to people who need it. Were you looking at setting up a feeding program? You can usually get people to give you their back yard fruit. The problem is and I have also thought about this. I have a worry about some liability possibly. I no longer let anyone on the property and just deliver it now.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:05 PM

When is the mango season?
Actually I was thinking if it was possible to live a homeless life while surviving on free fruits but feeding program would be awesome.
Why don't you sell the fruits?

Old 02-18-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Actually I was thinking if it was possible to live a homeless life while surviving on free fruits but feeding program would be awesome.
It is coming up very soon the trees are full of buds now. I used to sell the fruit. I had a guy who would come every year and clean off the trees for about five hundred dollars but something must of happened to him, I haven't seen him in a few years.

My mango's are Hayden one of the most desirable. They are worth more then a dollar a fruit when in market. I also have several dehydrators and make mango leather that I put in the freezer that I have all year long. Although I can sell them I like giving them away to people who can use them. The problem with mango's are they come ripe all at once. One day they are green and in no time you have 3 thousand pounds of ripe fruit. All night long you hear them falling.

A good thing though is they will ripen off the tree so they can be picked green and will ripen just fine. A lot of people like them green as well and cook with them. I have been in Florida since 1949. When I was a kid we would leave the house in the morning and not come home till late. If you got hungry you would just pick some oranges or grapefruit or what ever was around.

I used to love Florida cherries. You don't see them much anymore. There was a certain kind of wasp that would lay it's eggs in the cherries and you always found little larva in them. We ate them worms and all. What the heck we also swam with alligators so eating a worm was not such a big deal.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
You know, have you ever been homeless? Not such a good life

William Stouffer: Man set on fire behind Burger King on Commercial Boulevard - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Old 02-18-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
It is coming up very soon the trees are full of buds now. I used to sell the fruit. I had a guy who would come every year and clean off the trees for about five hundred dollars but something must of happened to him, I haven't seen him in a few years.

My mango's are Hayden one of the most desirable. They are worth more then a dollar a fruit when in market. I also have several dehydrators and make mango leather that I put in the freezer that I have all year long. Although I can sell them I like giving them away to people who can use them. The problem with mango's are they come ripe all at once. One day they are green and in no time you have 3 thousand pounds of ripe fruit. All night long you hear them falling.

A good thing though is they will ripen off the tree so they can be picked green and will ripen just fine. A lot of people like them green as well and cook with them. I have been in Florida since 1949. When I was a kid we would leave the house in the morning and not come home till late. If you got hungry you would just pick some oranges or grapefruit or what ever was around.

I used to love Florida cherries. You don't see them much anymore. There was a certain kind of wasp that would lay it's eggs in the cherries and you always found little larva in them. We ate them worms and all. What the heck we also swam with alligators so eating a worm was not such a big deal.
Wow, you've been there since '49, may I ask how old you are? You swam with alligators, don't they try to eat you? Where in South Florida was all this?

Old 02-18-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
No I have never been homeless. I guess that kind of thing happens when you get into fights? I don't think I'll get into fights. I wonder if the homeless in S. Florida get attacked by snakes or other dangerous critters when they live in tents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: