Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2011, 03:54 PM

6 posts, read 15,089 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone I was just wanting to get some ideas as to how Melbourne, FL is for family life. We are currently living in northern Illinois right under the Wisconsin border and are wanting a change. We have 4 kids ages 6,5,4 & 2 so as we are just getting started schools are important. I stay at home and my husband is currently working for a supplier of Chrysler but also has 5 yrs management experience from Arby's under his belt. Just wondering about the schools, jobs and housing market down there. Any info we would LOVE!!!! Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 03:47 PM

27,231 posts, read 44,188,092 times
Melbourne is a great place to live for families. Also check out neighboring Merritt Island and Viera as schools in both places are excellent. You might post under the Brevard County thread as that's where all of those cities are located. The job market is pretty horrific currently but the Arby's background could prove helpful with a job hunt in the fast food industry here which is pretty extensive in terms of quantity. The housing market by most accounts has bottomed in many areas and is very much a buyers market. With interest rates still low, buying now versus waiting it out is probably best.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:01 PM

3 posts, read 5,022 times
Melbourne is a nice place for a family. I personally don't have kids but my friends do and they all like the schools here in Brevard. If your family likes the beach then your only a 10 minute drive away unless you choose to live over on beachside area Satellite Beach, Indian Harbour Beach then the beach is right there. The Viera and Suntree area is a newer part of Brevard that you may want to check out also. The real estate housing market is a buyers market right now and you can get good deals on either inland or beachside. Just an idea... mabye find a home to rent short term until you get familiar with Brevard and the different cities before you buy. You can check with a realtor for their home rental listings in the area. This helped me in the past when relocating for work.

Hope that helped some:-)

Old 03-01-2011, 12:10 PM

509 posts, read 1,683,466 times
Before you check with a realtor, its best to have a job in your pocket before you come here. The odds of finding a job after you get here are slim to none, unless you are a nurse or doctor. We have a state full of people who came here, looking for jobs in paradise, finding none, and then not having enough money to move back home where their family/support system is. Bottom line, if you want to move to Florida, have a FIRM offer of a job, that's where you move to. Florida schools are not the best in the nation in any part of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida