Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2011, 11:46 PM

6 posts, read 9,348 times

Advertisements

I live in n.w. atlanta now, but pretty much lived in s.w.fl all my life. I moved up here last summer and fell in love. I separated from my husband down there and my kids and my two grandchildren are there too. I miss them so much. my husband and I are trying to make it work. I decided to move back to fl because family not moving up here. I even got a transfer with my job. my problem is that I hate living in fl and love it up here. how do i choose between he

re and there. I am scared that I will move and then regret it cause of how much I like it here. but if I don't move then i will be letting my family down, plus my job that I interviewed for.so happens that I got job back where I was working before and asst. manager excited to have me back. when i found out today that I got the job I started having second thoughts. now I don't know what to do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 12:07 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,425,493 times
Having 2nd thoughts is perfectly normal. While it's nice you want to be near your family, you have to do what's best for you in the long run, you can move near your family and still be miserable if you don't like the area etc. No place is perfect. Would re-evaluate the job in FL and where you are now (am assuming you're working where you're living now) and decide whether you want to make your marriage work and take it from there. A stable good job is very important, what's the unemployment rate in each area and can you get a job where you live now (if you're not employed). Just rem. no place is perfect, sometimes you have to compromise. Where you live now isn't all that far from where your family is, you both can visit back and forth should you choose to stay in your location. Make a list of what you have going for your in each area (the positives and negatives), that may give you a better perspective, seeing it in black and white. Good luck.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:16 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,053,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrydlfns View Post
I live in n.w. atlanta now, but pretty much lived in s.w.fl all my life. I moved up here last summer and fell in love. I separated from my husband down there and my kids and my two grandchildren are there too. I miss them so much. my husband and I are trying to make it work. I decided to move back to fl because family not moving up here. I even got a transfer with my job. my problem is that I hate living in fl and love it up here. how do i choose between he

re and there. I am scared that I will move and then regret it cause of how much I like it here. but if I don't move then i will be letting my family down, plus my job that I interviewed for.so happens that I got job back where I was working before and asst. manager excited to have me back. when i found out today that I got the job I started having second thoughts. now I don't know what to do

What is the reason for your separation? Are you going through a mid life crises? Yes women go through them also. Was your husband miss treating you?

All I can tell you is to do what makes you happy. And if that means staying in Atlanta then stay. No mater what you do you will always miss your family but you have to also be happy with yourself first before you can be happy with everyone else.

busta

Old 03-06-2011, 12:18 AM

4 posts, read 9,422 times
Honeycrisp has great advice. I recently moved back from florida myself and it was not place I would move back to. The list is your best bet! Live where you feel the best. Good luck!

Old 03-06-2011, 10:27 AM

509 posts, read 1,680,792 times
Strangers can't possibly give you advise on major decisions in your life.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:15 PM

Well I was offered the position in FL. its at a bank, so same company. No my husband doesn't mistreat me, but have had other problems. my main pull is my grandkids. but nothing else interests me there. I am getting feedback from all sources. sometimes strangers can give life experiences.I. am still debating it but have to give an answer to my job soon...any more suggestions?

Old 03-16-2011, 01:34 PM

I have also thought about trying it for a year and reevaluating then. but would that be more harmful and unfair...say to grandkids, job, husband, etc. this is my delimma

Old 03-16-2011, 02:02 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,745,652 times
Here's my take for whatever it worth. I once read that the list of priorities in life should be God, Family, Country, and Self, and to a certain extent, I suppose I agree. Anyway, even if you don't believe in God, and you don't care about or place your country ahead of your self, you are still left with Family first. I don't have grandkids yet but I can't wait until I have them because I absolutely love kids and watching them learn and grow. I'm not saying that you should be selfless but I am saying that life is short and kids (as you know) grow up incredibly fast. There's such a tiny window in which to become a part of their lives. I'd make that the priority for the short time you have to make them the priority. But, please, only take these opinions as a very tiny part of your decision making process....if at all!

Old 03-17-2011, 06:15 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,310,171 times
Go with your heart.

If you are financially able to make the move and your heart is with your family and grandkids you cannot go wrong.

I would tell you that have a backup plan and finances ready to move back to Atlanta if things do not work out.

For me, not knowing your situation, I would make the move if my finances were in order just to be close to the family and grandkids as you mentioned.

My kids just lost a Grandmother and I can tell your first hand just how much Grandparents mean to the kids.

None of us can tell you what to do because we do not have enough information but as I mentioned above I would make the move if I had it well planned out, able financially to make the move, can start a savings to move back to Atlanta if needed etc.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:13 PM

I have pretty much decided to stay here. I feel really bad for my family. Once I told my husband about the doubts that I had, he pretty much told me to stay. I really think my daughter wants me there. She is the mother to my grandchildren. She just doesn't seem to understand my dislike of FL. She feels that I am giving up a great job,(was in the same branch that I left to come here), and that if I give it up then I won't be given that opportunity again. This is possibly true, and one of the consequences of my decision. I have no problem making the drive down there, and can hopefully schedule my vacations to take long weekends and go every other month at least. It has been a very emotional decision for me to make. I don't like to miss my grandchildren, but I don't want to be in an environment that will not please me. By the way, I do have a lot of family here. My mom, sister, brother, and their families all left FL to be here. So I am not without support. Thanks for the advise from everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida