Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 10:52 AM

572 posts, read 1,299,466 times

Advertisements

I grew up in MN. My husband is in the military, we have been for the most part stationed in the upper midwest his entire career, with 18 months spent at Cannon AFB, NM and 22 months at Langley AFB, VA. Other than that, I have always had 4 seasons (we had snow in both NM and VA). I have two children (age 5 and 7), I was wondering about what types of clothing they will need over the winter months. Do you wear shorts year round? Or does it get chilly? Do the stores in FL sell light-weight clothing year round? Do I need to worry about getting them coats?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 12:59 PM

63 posts, read 165,574 times
Hi jojo

First, I would like to thank your husband for his service to our country.
I can only comment on the south fl area where I lived, Miami and Davie-Ft Lauderdale. Most of the year is warm, and the summers VERY hot. I actually experieneced all four seasons for the first time when we moved to SC 4 years ago. I had never seen snow or trees loosing their foliage but got to see it at age 52! Winters if you can call it that are usually 50-60 but I heard from my friend in Pembroke Pines that they got some low 40's a few weeks back. Not bad at all.
Depending where you you move in Florida, the weather will be different than the south end. Further north is probably cooler but someone else living in that area can chime in with a comment

Hope this helps.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:09 PM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo61397 View Post
I grew up in MN. My husband is in the military, we have been for the most part stationed in the upper midwest his entire career, with 18 months spent at Cannon AFB, NM and 22 months at Langley AFB, VA. Other than that, I have always had 4 seasons (we had snow in both NM and VA). I have two children (age 5 and 7), I was wondering about what types of clothing they will need over the winter months. Do you wear shorts year round? Or does it get chilly? Do the stores in FL sell light-weight clothing year round? Do I need to worry about getting them coats?

Thanks,
I live in the central part of the state and against all preconceived notion we do get cold weather here, as in hard freezes (20s) and chilly daytime temperatures (40s-50s) for around 4-6 weeks off/on (January-February). Given your background you probably won't find it an issue at all, though I would recommend hanging on to some sweaters and light coats. Otherwise, shorts and light clothing work the rest of the year just fine.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:28 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I live in the central part of the state and against all preconceived notion we do get cold weather here, as in hard freezes (20s) and chilly daytime temperatures (40s-50s) for around 4-6 weeks off/on (January-February). Given your background you probably won't find it an issue at all, though I would recommend hanging on to some sweaters and light coats. Otherwise, shorts and light clothing work the rest of the year just fine.
Coastal panhandle checking in, and it's the same sort of thing up here if you're headed to Eglin, Tyndall, Hurlburt, etc. My winter coat is a lined barn jacket. Thin gloves are nice to have early mornings and evenings, but a scarf or a hat is more for decoration than warmth. Note that after a winter or two down here, you will acclimate and start to think 45F in January constitutes hideously cold.

They'll need coats, but not like snowsuit heavy. I'd probably think something that was Target-Old Navy level of quality because they'll outgrow it before wearing it out.

One other thing- if you spend a lot of time indoors, this state dearly loves its air conditioning. It's good to keep a light sweater in your car along with a rain coat/umbrella (no other place in the lower 48 gets rain like you do down here) in case you find you're going to be stuck in one of those places where the AC is permanently set to about 66-67F.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:52 PM

13,624 posts, read 7,942,318 times
Minnesota doesn't get 4 seasons. There's winter, and the 4th of July. I'm sure you will say the same thing about Florida, but in reverse, "summer, and New Year's".

In all seriousness though, it depends on where in Florida you are going. It does get cold in North Florida. Unless you have some seriously thick blood, you won't be able to wear shorts year-round. You'll find that Florida cold is different from Northern cold because of the humidity down here. The cold here goes through you to your bones. I don't know, it's just different. I lived in Michigan for one year, and that's what I found. In Michigan, it seemed like as long as you put on enough clothes, you'll be alright. But sometimes here, it doesn't matter how much I put on, I just can't get warm.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:33 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,741,099 times
If you're moving to Central Florida, and are used to the cold, I would suggest bringing your winter coat with you, but not your parka and snowboots. We spent some time around Tampa this last December and it was in the 40's. This is not that uncommon, I've experienced below freezing temperatures in Dayton during December as well.

I was stuck was sandals and a sweatshirt--my husband was fine, he brought his (lighter weight) winter coat. But when we winter there starting next fall, he'll be leaving his huge arctic parka at home here in Canada.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:59 AM

199 posts, read 528,578 times
Again it depends on the location if Fla. but I wore a jacket twice last winter and tennis shoes twice also. Otherwise I am in t'shirts and bermudas. Besides once the sun comes up, it warms you up.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:30 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Worst case scenario would be long jeans and a hoodie..

Old 06-03-2011, 06:34 AM

509 posts, read 1,680,792 times
Wait a minute! We had snow last year! The problem with Florida weather is, like anywhere else, you never know what might come up. Our temps get in the 30's in the winter, at least if you live north of I-4. If you wear shorts in 30 degree weather, then the answer is "yes". Kids wear coats/jackets to school, but they often don't need them as much later in the day as it USUALLY warms up by the afternoon. Whatever clothes you have will be fine.

Old 06-03-2011, 03:07 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,342,054 times
Let me just start by saying the Winters in FL will never compare to what you've already experienced but that being said, FL does get cold depending on where you live. Bare in mind FL is very large state N to S so the weather does vary dramatically. I divide the state into 3 climate zones (this is extremely unscientific and based entirely on my experience).

Anything South of Tampa is fairly mild. Lows in the 50/60's on average but fairly mild. You can get away with light sweaters and jeans from Nov-Mar. Miami is fairly nice year round, rarely need a jacket but cold streaks do occur once or twice a year there.

Tampa to Gainesville (this includes Orlando, Lakeland, Daytona, Ocala) Moderately cold season. Sweater weather from late Oct to early Apr. There are weeks at a time when we get hit by strong cold fronts that dip the nighttime lows into the 30/40's and sometime 20's with daytime highs of only low 50's. This past winter was unusual and we had almost an entire month of those temps, but again, that was out of the ordinary. Need a season's worth of jackets and sweaters and possibly a heavy jacket for the really cold days. You can invest in scarves, gloves and hats and will usually get a month or so use out of them. However, as you get to the northern end of this climate zone you will use them more regularly. For instance it gets into the 30/40's almost every morning in Gainesville/Ocala from Dec-Mid Feb. (Or at least it felt that way to me walking to class every morning back in college).

North of Gainesville-downright cold in FL terms. Temps in the 30's for lows are not uncommon at all from Dec-Mar. Hard freezes and cold fronts come through fairly often. A heavy jacket would be standard as you would probably wear it most of the Winter. Hats, gloves and scarves are a good investment. Need proof? Take a look at the FSU late season games, most of the time the crowd and players are bundled up. Snow is not unheard of in places like Tallahassee and the panhandle. I actually enjoy this weather alot, it's a break from the FL heat.

Of course there are always exceptions. There are warmer/colder winters. Some cold fronts can send even the keys into the 40's but it is rare. This is a very general description but I think most longtime residents would agree with it. Summer is pretty much the same all across FL, Hot and Humid!

Last edited by Crane's Rooster; 06-03-2011 at 03:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida