Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 03:42 PM

30,319 posts, read 23,800,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matticus View Post
So I can't eat snacks while driving either? That is more distracting IMO because you can spill some on your shirt, and then you HAVE to clean your shirt.

Also, listening to the radio is distracting. Talking to a passenger is distracting. A passenger talking to you is distracting. reaching to your cup holder is distracting. Lighting a cigarette and smoking that cigarette is distracting as well.

So -- all persons must travel without consuming food or drink, without smoking, without any passenger or yourself talking -- no looking at the passengers either.

No crosswalk timers as those take the sight off the road. No billboards, take em down.

No business signs and street addresses must be displayed with numbers that are at least 6" high -- because if you're looking for an address you don't want to have to squint too hard to see those numbers. Oh wait but that could be fixed with a GPS -- sorry those are banned too.
That's good, Matticus, respond with shrillness. The fact is, you really shouldn't be smoking or eating and drinking while driving as well as not using your phone or pushing buttons or texting or talking on it or staring at your passenger.

A car can be a deadly object and it really only takes a mere second for disaster to happen. A mere second. That one second that you look down for your cup or your phone....I just witnessed how drastic it can be right out in front of where I used to work about three weeks ago down in Miami. Passenger in the car of the distracted driver died. It was not a pretty death. I assure you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 04:41 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,207,121 times
Quote:
There are many more things you can do with your phone besides texting while driving. You could be searching for a location to eat or shop or you could also be GPSing a location.

I have used my phone as a GPS in my hand/lap and currently now have it on a GPS holder that mounts to my windshield. I find it more distracting to have it in front of me in the hands-free position than having it in my lap where I check it a less amount of times.

A cop can't tell if you're texting or looking at a navigation system nowadays with smart phones being all the rage.
Why can't you figure out where you're going BEFORE you get in the car ?

Because you're late ? Get up earlier ...
Because you're lost ? Pull over and ask someone ...
Because you're lazy ? No excuse ...

Folks did fine before cell phones; Anything that takes your eyes off the road for more than a second or two could be considered dangerous. And
why are you more important than anyone else on the road ?

Old 05-27-2011, 04:51 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,166,748 times
State Cell Phone Use and Texting While Driving Laws

Florida needs to become one of these states that ban distracted driving.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:52 PM

Could not agree with you more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post

Folks did fine before cell phones; Anything that takes your eyes off the road for more than a second or two could be considered dangerous. And

Old 05-27-2011, 07:17 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,316,796 times
The cops are way passed just regular texting, these guys play on laptops and speed around here without any emergencies to get too, some example!!!!!!

I don't think such law will pass and even if it does, these ppl will still do it.

I Horn at them! as loud as my horn can sing! everyday I see them in front of me driving like they're drunk, I horn because I want to pass but I am afraid they'll swerve into me!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
Probably because the cops themselves would be too busy texting and driving to enforce the law! (Yes I've seen this happen several times)

Old 05-27-2011, 07:19 PM

hahahaha, Florida would look like a ghost town if you remove all the distracted drivers....especially the tourists who clog I-4 for absolutely nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
State Cell Phone Use and Texting While Driving Laws

Florida needs to become one of these states that ban distracted driving.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:27 PM

46 posts, read 107,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post

Why are you polluting the environment with your car?

Folks did fine before cars; anything that pollutes the environment and can travel to speeds up to and over 100 mph could be considered dangerous. And why don't you get a horse and buggy instead?

Old 05-27-2011, 07:31 PM

You can do all that and more in an RV!!!!!!

....and so, if you want to use your car as a dining room, bathroon, living room, patio etc, buy an RV!!! that would allow you to do whatever you want, newer models have autopilot too and so, you don't even need to sit in the driver seat, they drive themselves!!!!

Quote:
So I can't eat snacks while driving either? That is more distracting IMO because you can spill some on your shirt, and then you HAVE to clean your shirt.

Also, listening to the radio is distracting. Talking to a passenger is distracting. A passenger talking to you is distracting. reaching to your cup holder is distracting. Lighting a cigarette and smoking that cigarette is distracting as well.

So -- all persons must travel without consuming food or drink, without smoking, without any passenger or yourself talking -- no looking at the passengers either.

No crosswalk timers as those take the sight off the road. No billboards, take em down.

No business signs and street addresses must be displayed with numbers that are at least 6" high -- because if you're looking for an address you don't want to have to squint too hard to see those numbers. Oh wait but that could be fixed with a GPS -- sorry those are banned too.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:46 PM

What is so difficult to understand about the simple fact that driving is a dangerous activity and any distractions while doing so only makes it more dangerous?

Hang up and drive!

Old 05-27-2011, 10:02 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,668,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
You can do all that and more in an RV!!!!!!

....and so, if you want to use your car as a dining room, bathroon, living room, patio etc, buy an RV!!! that would allow you to do whatever you want, newer models have autopilot too and so, you don't even need to sit in the driver seat, they drive themselves!!!!
My DH sells RV's at Lazy Days he has never heard of the ones that use auto-pilot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida