Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2011, 09:03 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times

Advertisements

I hope you spend your insurance savings of $390 a year in good health!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Where Auto Insurance Is Most Expensive - NYTimes.com

That is where I tell my friends who say if I think it is expensive in FL, wait until I move to MA, it will be worse... I think not.

What the heck is wrong with Louisiana?????? FL is in the middle.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:59 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
My MIL was talking about that, today. What a tragedy.

In Lee County the cops love to stop cars that look -- how should I say this? -- lacking. It's simple profiling. If you look like you don't have money than you probably don't. Poor people don't have cars. It's funny because they don't even pretend to have probably cause.

Anyway, I can attest to being very poor, certainly without a home phone, let alone a cellphone, and trying my darndest to get to work and make ends meet. Have I been stopped for not having insurance? Oh, yeah. Didn't even have the right plate on the car. (Yes, they run the numbers and that was why I was stopped but I was continuously stopped for no reason.) You do what you have to do to make ends meet.

What did the cop do?

He said, "Okay. I'm going to get back in my car and you are going to get home and then you are not to drive this car again."

I was at the library and home was less than a mile.

Why? Because I looked like a nice lady that was trying to feed my child.

Cops are not ogres -- well, most of them, just like any profession -- and they understand.

I've lived in Massachusetts and they had mandatory inspections. What did that mean? It meant you brought a six-pack down to the guy at the garage and he put the probe into the tailpipe but held it in such a way that the car passed.

Now I'm an owner of an auto repair shop and I would rather people hire us of their own accord.

I've lived in New England, Florida and now Tennessee -- some counties have mandatory inspections but not many -- and I can tell you that nanny states don't work. In fact, one of the problems with Florida is it costs too darn much for the average slug trying to get by to afford insurance and registration for a vehicle. That's why the cops let you get back on the road. They don't make that much money and they understand.

Part of the problem with some areas of Florida is the rarefied people that live there, constantly sticking their nose up in the air at some residents. They demand that their local police force crack down on these ne'er-do-wells that drive without the proper credentials. I feel bad for the people that live there now. Registration is through the roof and so isn't unemployment.

Last edited by hiknapster; 08-27-2011 at 12:14 PM..

Old 08-27-2011, 01:47 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,770,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I hope you spend your insurance savings of $390 a year in good health!
Sure will!!! Gonna buy a new mountain bike and camping gear.

Old 08-27-2011, 02:48 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,305,617 times
Almost 2 months here in Florida and thus far the COL is much less as a total.

Then I get a huge break come tax time and wont have to shell out tax money that I did in Ohio.

What does Florida lack?

For us is lacks nothing that we can see. It has everything we could ever ask for.

Amazing the things we missed out on for so many years.

We are making up for it.

Old 08-27-2011, 03:39 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,246,580 times
Quote:
Your'e one lucky guy. And you'll be in the ideal area to use that equiptment.

Old 08-27-2011, 04:33 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,224,561 times
Quote:
Just think, you'll actually be able to roll your car windows down as you go camping.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Just think, you'll actually be able to roll your car windows down as you go camping.
Ohhhh yes..... being able to roll them down at all will be GREAT!!!!!!

Old 08-27-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
Your'e one lucky guy. And you'll be in the ideal area to use that equiptment.
Love it when people tell me, "you can go camping in FL year round".... I always say "NO, YOU can go camping here year round, I'll pass" Who on earth wants to tent camp here in the summer, you would suffocate and not sleep. RV camping is not camping............

Mountain biking.... Not here. Hence the word MOUNTAIN bike....

Old 08-27-2011, 06:26 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,961,204 times
Quote:
Love it when people tell me, "you can go camping in FL year round".... I always say "NO, YOU can go camping here year round, I'll pass" Who on earth wants to tent camp here in the summer, you would suffocate and not sleep. RV camping is not camping............

I went for a walk tonight and I wish I had my phone on me I'd take a picture of my legs absolutely EATEN up.. all red and blotchy with bites. I practically ran home and then I was just sweating profusely on top of being itchy.. God how I wish I was riding out Irene in New England!

Old 08-27-2011, 08:18 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,246,580 times
Quote:

We used to do some winter camping up on the Kancamagus back when i was a kid.That was a lot of fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida