Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 06:51 PM

22 posts, read 100,372 times

Advertisements

are there any cities in northern florida that have palm trees and decidious trees (a fall season where the leaves change color)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 08:05 PM

262 posts, read 937,595 times
Sure northern FL has palm trees. In addition to the native Sabal palmetto, you can grow pindos, windmill palms and in some areas, date palms - they have those in St. Augustine. Pindos can even be grown in S. Georgia - but they're not commonly planted unfortunately. Smaller palms -that you wouldn't call "trees" also grow in north FL - Sabal minor, Serenoa (the "saw palmetto"), and needle palms.

As for deciduous trees, all of FL has them. The crepe myrtle is one of the most commonly planted down here. Up in north FL, you'll find more kinds of deciduous trees, but if you're looking for a real "fall color" display, it isn't like places such as New England - judging from the photos from up there.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:11 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,292,505 times
I think I've seen palms as far north as South Carolina..... It is, after all, the "Palmetto State", right??

Old 08-11-2007, 05:39 AM

5,701 posts, read 24,157,323 times
See link for reference for cold hardy palm trees... The link works

Possible Error Detected (http://ezinearticles.com/?Cold-Hardy-Palm-Trees-for-Northern-Garden-Planting&id=306875 - broken link)

Old 08-11-2007, 06:22 AM

495 posts, read 2,328,578 times
You can get fall colors in North Florida but it is spotty and not nearly as intense as up north. This is partially because there are many evergreens such as pines and live oaks that mix with the tree cover.

Another element is timing. Pecan and Sycamore start early and they dont have great colors, mainly a browning dying look, and then they are bare, while some of the best trees for color can peak at various times up until January. So you never get a fall colored countryside but just spots of color.

Plus some of the best trees for color, such as sweet gum, hickory, maple, and some others are themselves spotty when it comes to fall colors. I have seen a gorgeous hickory of intense yellow right next to a hickory with just some browning leaves. Often times you will see a single tree with brilliant fall colors and those of the same type next door with little of no color. Donno why.

And the weather conditions have a lot to do with fall colors too with cool nippy mornings bringing out the best colors imo.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:44 AM

5,701 posts, read 24,157,323 times
Northwest Florida will offer the fall season where the leaves change color and a bit of crisp weather for about 6 to 8 weeks. We don't get snow, but will be cold . In our area we see all the seasons, we just lack the snow. With lots of pines, oaks, and other trees that displayed their best during all seasons... Again, that is why we called this place paradise...

Old 08-11-2007, 07:04 AM

672 posts, read 905,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
Northwest Florida will offer the fall season where the leaves change color and a bit of crisp weather for about 6 to 8 weeks. We don't get snow, but will be cold . In our area we see all the seasons, we just lack the snow. With lots of pines, oaks, and other trees that displayed their best during all seasons... Again, that is why we called this place paradise...
Thanks for the info. I really love the fall and will miss it terribly here. I am in SW Florida. I will have to plan on taking a trip up "North".

Old 08-11-2007, 01:22 PM

22 posts, read 100,372 times
Thank you. Northwest Fl, like Tallahassee?

Old 08-11-2007, 10:58 PM

776 posts, read 1,672,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
I think I've seen palms as far north as South Carolina..... It is, after all, the "Palmetto State", right??

I've seen them even up in Virginia Beach..

Old 08-12-2007, 01:27 PM

393 posts, read 1,497,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVosilla View Post
I've seen them even up in Virginia Beach..
Wow, really? I wondered how far north of here palm trees exist. I personally think they're the ugliest of all tree species and have to look at them at every other turn around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida