Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 07:37 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,607,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
Although I think the law will ultimately be decided as unconstitutional, I agree with sware2cod that Scott's approach is wrong. You hope for the best but plan for the worst.
I agree on both counts.

He's making up his own laws. Is he going to be held accountable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 08:35 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
Although I think the law will ultimately be decided as unconstitutional, I agree with sware2cod that Scott's approach is wrong. You hope for the best but plan for the worst.
Considering that FL is part of the multi-state lawsuit against the law, Scott is probably doing what he can to stand against it in solidarity.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:26 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
You can thank the 66,000 voters who gave him the Governship over Alex Sink. It's funny how this imbecile spent tens of millions of his own money to get elected and only won by 66,000 votes!

Old 12-06-2011, 06:55 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,443,509 times
I cant wait till Gollum and Slenderman's illegitimate child is done for.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:05 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
He's down to a 26% approval rating:

PPP Poll: Rick Scott's approval rating at 26% | Florida politics blog: The Buzz | Tampa Bay Times

Quote:
Only 26 percent of Florida voters - and only 46 percent of Republicans! - approve of his performance.

Charlie Crist running as a Democrat would trounce Scott 55 to 22. Alex Sink would beat him 53-37.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:16 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,743,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Considering that FL is part of the multi-state lawsuit against the law, Scott is probably doing what he can to stand against it in solidarity.
I'm proud of Florida for our leadership in trying to have this stupid law overturned ('we have to pass it to see what's in it' ) but as long as there's the possibility that it might be found to be constitutional by the SCOTUS, it's his responsibility to proceed with that possibility in mind. After all, as others have pointed out, it is the law of the land NOW.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:01 AM

84 posts, read 229,417 times
i dont' want it overturned. it's the best step towards getting universal healthcare that we've ever had. funny that most of the people that are against it are people who would be helped the most by it.
i'm resigned to the fact that nothing major will happen in this country until all their employers drop their coverage and everyone has $10k deductibles. and it is coming. just give it a few years. then all the naysayers will be like, "why didn't we get universal healthcare a long time ago? it's the dems fault".

Old 12-07-2011, 07:27 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
^^^I agree, its funny that there are many things the populous didn't want at the time, years down the road the populous is glad they did it. The Healthcare debate will be one of those things. People are against it now, but years from now they (their children, grandchildren, cousins, aunts, uncles, etc.) will be glad they have coverage if something happens.

It is funny how those that are totally against it are the first to line up for it. I have an in-law that is a far right republican totally against universal healthcare, yet he's trying to get disability. He watches all those right wing republican shows, reads all the right wing material, which sort of brain wash people in a sense (the far left does the same). I had a conversation about the healthcare debate with him a few weeks ago and brought up him trying to get on disability. How could someone so against government handouts apply for a handout from the government, I said to him. Well that just shut him right up. I guess he never saw himself as one of those people that was getting a handout when they applied for disability ...

I have a friend with MS, when she lost her job her family lost their insurance (she is 35 and has two beautiful girls under 10), so she stopped taking her shots because she couldn't afford them on her own. If we had Universal Coverage she could of continued her shots. I really wish those that are against the Universal Healthcare Debate could put themselves in the shoes of someone like my friend. They would totally change their mind.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:09 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,743,344 times
I think you are confusing idealism with reality. There is no question that the healthcare environment required major revision but the actual law that was passed was not the correct solution. The government should not be allowed to force citizens to purchase any product. The promise that this would reduce healthcare insurance cost was completely wrong. The promise that you could keep your insurance and physician if you wanted was also a pile of BS because it ignored the reality that most employers would not be able to keep their current programs. This law, itself, is full of garbage BUT the principles behind it and the problems it sought to correct cannot be thrown out with the law. I want the law dumped but I still want them to come up with a thoughtful, constitutional set of answers to the problem. What we got was a politically motivated, rushed law that was not completely vetted, a terrible mess that was forced down the throats of the people who made it clear that they did not want it and the result promised to cause fewer jobs and higher costs with fewer choices, all at a time when the economy was tanking. You can't legislate in a vacuum or with blind ideology. It just doesn't work.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:15 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbgirl99 View Post
i dont' want it overturned. it's the best step towards getting universal healthcare that we've ever had. funny that most of the people that are against it are people who would be helped the most by it.
i'm resigned to the fact that nothing major will happen in this country until all their employers drop their coverage and everyone has $10k deductibles. and it is coming. just give it a few years. then all the naysayers will be like, "why didn't we get universal healthcare a long time ago? it's the dems fault".

Seriously, either we will end up a system like the NHS in the UK where we all wait weeks to months for elective procedures because of rationing, or we will increase our GDP even more on healthcare spending.

Either outcome is bad. We should be focusing on getting price transparency in healthcare so everyone knows just how much he/she spends on their own care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida