Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 09:32 PM

3 posts, read 4,583 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband and I are thinking about relocating to Gainesville and I am nervous about the heat and humidity, the job prospects, the sense of community, things to do and the cost of living. Can anyone please tell me some good things about the town on any level? Thanks in advance, I appreciate your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 05:23 AM

3,237 posts, read 6,324,022 times
Gainesville is a college town, so:

1. there is very little sense of community
2. there are few jobs, all are low paying
3. the town revolves around the university, everything is geared towards the students for the most part
4. cost of living is higher than average because they the transient population (students) higher. Gas tax and other taxes make cost of living artificially high
5. town is very segregated. Which may or may not be a plus for you. Eastside is very black and very poor.
6. things to do? very little for the adult population

That said, there are some very nice areas, parts of the town anyway. Stay away from everything East of 13th street and pretty much anything south of university ave/newberry rd

As far as the heat, it's ****ing hot in the summer in the whole state. Is it too much for you? Visit and find out for yourself.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:45 AM

17,537 posts, read 39,154,399 times
Agree with crazynip's post above. Also, Gainesville is in Alachua County, which has some of the highest property taxes in the state. Why are you relocating to Gainesville, do you have jobs there?

Old 01-11-2012, 09:08 AM

258 posts, read 614,977 times
Gainesville can be a strange pleace. Good and bad. Thousands of college kids, liberals and extreme conservatives. One of the highest suicide rates per person in the world. I know five friends that killed themselves in Gainesville. Aged 23 to 48. The city has a vibe or unwritten code that if don't succeed, you're nothing. People get ' stuck ' and it's hard to move on. Far form anywhere. One must drive two hours for decent adult style entertainment. A lot of people want out but they get stuck and can't move because of debt or family obligations. However, if you're a 9-5 person and you like working at Tire Kingdom the rest of your life. You have a 3.5 kids and attend a church three times per week then it might be for you.

I heard or read once that Ocala / Gainesville / Lake City, the most humid area in the world.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:46 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,345,057 times
Heat and humidity is horrendous anywhere in FL during the summer but Gainesville is actually very nice in the fall and winter. Gainesville is just far enough north to experience a noticeable change in seasons. Beginning about late September-April it turns into sweater/jacket weather where more southern parts of the state have a very short break from the heat. So the weather there is definitely a positive.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:48 AM

Like Crane Rooster said. Exactly.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:52 PM

142 posts, read 259,815 times
Winters can have some very cold snaps. The dead of summer is hideously oppressive, much worse even than places further south on the coast. Most of the housing stock is not equipped for either.
Economically, it's very weird- awesome place for somebody with a fat pension or a pile of cash or a sweet university job, terrible for pretty much everybody else.

Incidentally, I am one of the thousands of people who live east of 13th street. I live in the southeast, and I am, last I checked, well-educated, very poor, and undeniably white. The east side is mostly black and mostly blue collar, but not exclusively so on either count. Rather than categorically insult a side of town I don't particularly care for, I'll just say that I'd be very unhappy if I lived west of 13th.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:52 PM

142 posts, read 259,815 times
Oh yeah, something good: if you like nature and wildlife, it can be downright awe-inspiring at times. It is surrounded by and shot through with some fascinating natural areas.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:57 AM

3,237 posts, read 6,324,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hieronymus Bosch View Post
Incidentally, I am one of the thousands of people who live east of 13th street. I live in the southeast, and I am, last I checked, well-educated, very poor, and undeniably white. The east side is mostly black and mostly blue collar, but not exclusively so on either count. Rather than categorically insult a side of town I don't particularly care for, I'll just say that I'd be very unhappy if I lived west of 13th.
Obviously a generalisation. It's too much work to go through specific pockets.

Incidentally I used to live off of NW 9th street in one of the more ghetto pockets in what was technically NW Gainesville (according to the grid). It was that area North of University inbetween 13th street and Main street that was mostly ghetto / hood people. My house was a OLD duplex, no air, gas radiator heat. HOT in the summer, cold in the winter, full of roaches, but dirt cheap rent. More than once I was robbed, once at knifepoint. This was in the 90's, and i know it's not better now.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:21 AM

Gainesville Sucks. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida