Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Florida separate into two states?
Yes, they are too different and South Florida could get more tax money and politics would pay more attention to us. 44 45.36%
No, it would hurt our economy and be a bad decision. 39 40.21%
I don't really care 14 14.43%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 07:20 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
Oh, the sky is falling, the sky is falling....

Here is a better suggestion. If you are worried, don't live by the beach. Absolutely zip you can do since weather is controlled by the sun. Not man-made CO2, not SUVs, not electric plants, not blah, blah, blah. Always has been, always will be.

So quit worrying , get a umbrella drink and chill.
Don't you see who's worried? "Politicians!" They are the only ones (save for football players), who can afford to live by the beach in Miami! DOH! Those in Dubai built fake islands...time for us to do that; put all politicians on them and send them off to sea!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 08:00 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,790,135 times
I hope the all the people who are supporting this idea go out and vote for their futures. Just saying you cant complain now when you decided you wanted to be lazy or believe it was not important enough to go and do.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:32 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
I would much prefer it did actually.
I dont wanna be associated with the northern part of the state for the most part.
I like the melting pot, immigrant heavy part of Florida I live in.

More tolerant of different people and their lifestyles. More representative of the future of the US anyway. South Florida would be more liberal and progressive than the northern conservative, religious goof balls to the north.. . We would actually allow same sex marriage (omg, the sinfulness of it all!) We would celebrate our diversity and our cultures, our bi-lingualism, our humanity. People are people. Some are gay, some are straight, some are preppy, some are bums, Some speak Spanish, others Speak English and .. who cares! People are brown, white, black, and everything in between.

Besides, south FL has better weather and is naturally quite a bit more beautiful than northern FL for the most part. You can have Jacksonville and Tally.... and Pensacola lol. Enjoy that.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:13 AM

So, if the state is in fact split into two.... Which one will retain "the sunshine state" nick name? I mean, i think it's only fitting that the state of South Florida does.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:29 AM

734 posts, read 920,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
So, if the state is in fact split into two.... Which one will retain "the sunshine state" nick name? I mean, i think it's only fitting that the state of South Florida does.
Considering Arizona gets far more sunshine than Florida, hopefully neither.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:38 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
.....and also, will the official language be Spanish in the "South Floriduh" side?

Old 10-24-2014, 12:53 PM

2,530 posts, read 1,862,895 times
Why not? The southern part of the state has changed so much in the past 50 years that it isn't Florida at all anymore. The central and northern parts of the state are the areas that have maintained its true culture. South FL is basically an extension of long Island and Cuba now. Not to mention there are sharp differences in political ideas. Obama only won FL because of South FL.

It'd be like NC/SC and ND/SD. South FL should be consisted of Dade, Broward, Palm Beach, Monroe, Collier, Lee, Charlotte, St. Lucie, Martin and Indian River counties. The rest of FL would be known as North Florida.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
Why not? The southern part of the state has changed so much in the past 50 years that it isn't Florida at all anymore. The central and northern parts of the state are the areas that have maintained its true culture. South FL is basically an extension of long Island and Cuba now. Not to mention there are sharp differences in political ideas. Obama only won FL because of South FL.

It'd be like NC/SC and ND/SD. South FL should be consisted of Dade, Broward, Palm Beach, Monroe, Collier, Lee, Charlotte, St. Lucie, Martin and Indian River counties. The rest of FL would be known as North Florida.
Well considering the proposal is splitting it along I-4.... South Florida would also get Orange county, Hillsborough, and Pinellas.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
.....and also, will the official language be Spanish in the "South Floriduh" side?
oh I hope it is. I know it must make u feel awkward.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:39 PM

8,070 posts, read 4,746,263 times
Quote:
South FL should be consisted of Dade, Broward, Palm Beach, Monroe, Collier, Lee, Charlotte, St. Lucie, Martin and Indian River counties
Those of us in Martin County should start our secession movement immediately, then.

I don't think this movement would actually go any further than interesting parlor conversation. As was mentioned earlier, there are many US states that have distinct regions that might not seem able to get along. I'm from South GA originally and we all resented the tendency of all things Georgia to revolve around Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida