Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 08:41 PM

3 posts, read 6,875 times

Advertisements

My parents are looking to retire to florida and we have no idea what areas to look in. They are open to many areas but they are looking for something within 3 hours of Miami ( we have family there) and within 30 minutes of a beach. The budget is probably under $250k.

Can someone recommend some towns that would be a good starting point for us ?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 07:16 AM

272 posts, read 1,531,822 times
Anything between Sarasota and Naples on the Gulf coast and anything between Daytona Beach and West Palm Beach on the Atlantic side, not including the cities mentioned.

Anything more specific about what they are looking for might help narrow it down.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:19 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,515,012 times
Punta Gorda, which is on the Gulf side & located on the Gulf.

It is retiree heaven & also in the oldest county [Charlotte] in Florida & the US with 35% of the population over 65+.

It has been hit extremely hard by the housing bust & there are ample housing choices in that price range along with many retirement communities.

Sanibel is about 45 minutes away in non-season.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:50 AM

Thanks for the responses so far.

They don't need a retirement community. And I should ad they like 'country' - meaning spread out houses,not close neighbors. They were looking in Weeki Weechi (?) - but that is too far from family since it overs 5 hrs to Miami and in my opinion to isolated. But they like isolated.

Can you mention some of the small cities you are referring too deckardc ?

Old 09-04-2007, 09:09 AM

272 posts, read 1,531,822 times
There are no beaches near Weeki Wachee. While that area is near the coast, there are only mudflats in that part of FL. The nearest beach would probably be Honeymoon Island off the coast of Dunedin which is at least 1 to 1.5 hrs from Weeki Wachee.

So they want to be fairly close to a beach, 3 hours from Miami, and somewhat rural. The rural may be the hard part. Most towns within 30 minutes of the beach are likely to have suburban type housing even if they are small towns. The housing within half an hour of the beach will not be too spread out but not terribly congested either.

On the Gulf side, they might want to take a look at Venice, North Port, Port Charlotte, Punta Gorda, or Lehigh Acres. Arcadia is rural but it's at least an hour from there to Venice Beach.

On the Atlantic side, Cocoa (not Cocoa Beach), Melbourne, Malabar, Sebastian, Vero Beach, St. Lucie (not Port St. Lucie), Jupiter, Stuart. A more rural area might be Christmas or Fellsmere.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckardc View Post
There are no beaches near Weeki Wachee. While that area is near the coast, there are only mudflats in that part of FL. The nearest beach would probably be Honeymoon Island off the coast of Dunedin which is at least 1 to 1.5 hrs from Weeki Wachee.

So they want to be fairly close to a beach, 3 hours from Miami, and somewhat rural. The rural may be the hard part. Most towns within 30 minutes of the beach are likely to have suburban type housing even if they are small towns. The housing within half an hour of the beach will not be too spread out but not terribly congested either.

On the Gulf side, they might want to take a look at Venice, North Port, Port Charlotte, Punta Gorda, or Lehigh Acres. Arcadia is rural but it's at least an hour from there to Venice Beach.

On the Atlantic side, Cocoa (not Cocoa Beach), Melbourne, Malabar, Sebastian, Vero Beach, St. Lucie (not Port St. Lucie), Jupiter, Stuart. A more rural area might be Christmas or Fellsmere.
Thanks very much! Its easier to start this search when you have some specific idea/towns in mind. I am up in NJ and though I have been to florida alot its usually to visit family in Miami, so I am not that familiar with other areas. And they are putting alot on this on me to guide them.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:12 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckardc View Post

They won't find anything on lots of land in Jupiter or Stuart for around $250k! Western Fort Pierce, and actually some of the unincorporated areas of St. Lucie, White City, etc. might have additional options.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:20 AM

13 posts, read 55,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondymu View Post
My parents are looking to retire to florida and we have no idea what areas to look in. They are open to many areas but they are looking for something within 3 hours of Miami ( we have family there) and within 30 minutes of a beach. The budget is probably under $250k.

Can someone recommend some towns that would be a good starting point for us ?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.
I know FL well & recommend Panther Woods in North St. Lucie County. 10 mi. from beach, 3 hrs. to Mia. 55 min. to West Palm Airport, 2 hrs to Orlando. Rural setting open space, reasonable price, gated, mix of full & part time residence, CC with golf & tennis.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:03 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times
I take back my original quote that you couldn't find any "country living" in Jupiter for $250k.

Jupiter Farms has some good deals... and it's only about an hour and a half from Miami, 20 mins to the airport, and 15 mins to the beach:

Beautiful Jupiter Farms Home --- What a Deal! (http://westpalmbeach.craigslist.org/rfs/388393811.html - broken link)

3/2 Home in Jupiter Farms (http://westpalmbeach.craigslist.org/rfs/398639922.html - broken link)

(Zip Code 33478)

Old 09-04-2007, 11:37 PM

15 posts, read 53,395 times
IF they are looking for space and within 3 hours from Miami, they need to look away from the coast.
On the east coast the Homeland(Palm Beach County) and Parkland(Broward) are subdivisions with large lots. The turnpike down to Miami is easy if it is not rush hour.
On the west coast the pace is slower if that is a consideration for them. Lots of open land in the center of FL.
What are their past times?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida