U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-03-2012, 08:43 PM
 
14,752 posts, read 28,600,845 times
Reputation: 8780

Advertisements

They are among the ugliest of creatures, IMO. I recently saw a FB page that had a picture of a guy out on the golf course in Florida with some of his friends. There is an alligator sitting there, with its snout toward a pond...or water feature. He was standing behind its tail. He looked fairly tranquil. I wouldn't even have gone near it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-03-2012, 09:53 PM
 
Location: Niceville, FL
7,678 posts, read 16,092,150 times
Reputation: 7694
Can't remember ever hearing about a golf course attack on a person. Gators on land are generally only aggressive toward humans when they've come to associate people with food, and I suspect golf course management is very good about enforcing 'do not feed the gators' rules.

I have however heard of them going after small to medium-sized dogs being walked too close to golf course ponds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2012, 02:21 AM
 
34,360 posts, read 41,436,735 times
Reputation: 29842
They do go after golfers;;
Fripp Island Gator Attacks Golfer, Bites Arm Off - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2012, 04:17 AM
 
Location: Hernando County, FL
8,488 posts, read 17,932,473 times
Reputation: 5397
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
They do go after golfers;;
Considering the first 60 hits on google when you search for "gator attack golfer" either comes up with the incident you posted or one other one which did not involve a golfer but a snorkeler, I would say it is extremely rare.

Every time I have been out golfing and came across a gator, if my ball went near it and I started walking towards it the gator would head back in to the water.

Just don't stick your arm near the water to retrieve your ball. That's why they make these.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2012, 05:06 AM
 
34,360 posts, read 41,436,735 times
Reputation: 29842
Rare they may be but the topic title isnt asking about frequency of attacks its just asking if its ever happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2012, 08:35 AM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
3,237 posts, read 5,130,099 times
Reputation: 1492
They smell yankee... they only attack people from up nawth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2012, 08:53 AM
 
Location: Hernando County, FL
8,488 posts, read 17,932,473 times
Reputation: 5397
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Rare they may be but the topic title isnt asking about frequency of attacks its just asking if its ever happened.
Judging from the body of the post, it seems the poster has some fear of this happening.

Rather than heightening the fear that it does happen by taking one isolated incident from a state other than the state forum that the post was originally posted into and pluralizing that one incident, I felt it better served to illustrate that it is an extremely rare incident when it does happen.

With approximately 600 million rounds of golf played in the U.S. a year and around 10% of the total rounds of golf played in Florida your odds of winning the lottery would be about twice as good as getting bitten by an alligator while playing golf in Florida if even one attack a year happened. Being there is, on average, less than one attack by an alligator on a golfer a year in Florida in addition to common sense taking randomness out of the equation, the chance of getting attacked by an alligator while golfing is really infinitesimal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2012, 09:38 AM
 
Location: N Atlanta
4,586 posts, read 3,391,866 times
Reputation: 2311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
Judging from the body of the post, it seems the poster has some fear of this happening.

Rather than heightening the fear that it does happen by taking one isolated incident from a state other than the state forum that the post was originally posted into and pluralizing that one incident, I felt it better served to illustrate that it is an extremely rare incident when it does happen.

With approximately 600 million rounds of golf played in the U.S. a year and around 10% of the total rounds of golf played in Florida your odds of winning the lottery would be about twice as good as getting bitten by an alligator while playing golf in Florida if even one attack a year happened. Being there is, on average, less than one attack by an alligator on a golfer a year in Florida in addition to common sense taking randomness out of the equation, the chance of getting attacked by an alligator while golfing is really infinitesimal.
There's a much higher chance of being struck by lightning on a golf course. And if the OP is afraid of being attacked by an alligator while golfing, he/she should either take up shuffleboard or learn to hit the ball away from the water hazards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2012, 12:08 PM
 
14,752 posts, read 28,600,845 times
Reputation: 8780
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
There's a much higher chance of being struck by lightning on a golf course. And if the OP is afraid of being attacked by an alligator while golfing, he/she should either take up shuffleboard or learn to hit the ball away from the water hazards.
I don't live in Florida. I don't golf. I come to Florida for its beaches. It was just the picture on FB of a guy standing behind a gator on a course that prompted me to post this. Out here, we probably have the remote chance of encountering a mountain lion while hiking. And those critters avoid human contact. It's the "attack" stories that make the news.

An alligator is way more primitive, making it a lot weirder. It seems like mountain lions are very intelligent, and seem to "calculate" what might be involved in an attack situation.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 03-04-2012 at 12:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2012, 02:14 PM
 
34,360 posts, read 41,436,735 times
Reputation: 29842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
Judging from the body of the post, it seems the poster has some fear of this happening.

Rather than heightening the fear that it does happen by taking one isolated incident from a state other than the state forum that the post was originally posted into and pluralizing that one incident, I felt it better served to illustrate that it is an extremely rare incident when it does happen.

With approximately 600 million rounds of golf played in the U.S. a year and around 10% of the total rounds of golf played in Florida your odds of winning the lottery would be about twice as good as getting bitten by an alligator while playing golf in Florida if even one attack a year happened. Being there is, on average, less than one attack by an alligator on a golfer a year in Florida in addition to common sense taking randomness out of the equation, the chance of getting attacked by an alligator while golfing is really infinitesimal.
Infinitesimal it might be, maybe it only happened once since time began but the topic is quite clear to me.
Alligators on golf courses - have they ever attacked a golfer?

therefore
Fripp Island Gator Attacks Golfer, Bites Arm Off - YouTube
Question answered..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top