Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 06:56 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrown17 View Post
Speaking as someone who lived in Florida, I have never encountered more racist and ignorant attitudes anywhere else in my life. Florida is a very "special" place.
So, you have lived in every single city in Florida?

Old 03-21-2012, 06:19 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I am sure there are places in Colorado where you will find as many racists as anywhere in Florida.
Believe me, there are. And you don't have to go out in the sticks to find them.
I spent more than 30 years in Colorado, in 3 different cities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
Is this a joke? Do you really think ignorance is limited to state boundaries?
That about covers it.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:58 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,388,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrown17 View Post
Speaking as someone who lived in Florida, I have never encountered more racist and ignorant attitudes anywhere else in my life. Florida is a very "special" place.
Spend some time in the deep south (aka: north of FL). Makes Florida look like MLK's dream.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:18 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Once again, broad-brushing an entire state (in your case both CO and FL) You said they "SEEM smarter and more polite in general". Well, it depends where you moved from and where you moved to (city). Plus, you WANT it to be that way because you moved, you are seeing things from your own filter. I am sure there are places in Colorado where you will find as many racists as anywhere in Florida. Whether it's Florida or any other state, you will find more backwards thinking and racism/ignorance in the more rural areas of a state, so people should keep that in mind if looking to relocate and find this an issue.
And you "filter" everything about FL. You never find fault with anything in FL.

Yes racism is everywhere, but I notice in FL people who don't know you will discuss politics and make racial comments. They assume because you're white and they're white that you share their views.

My mouth dropped open when after shortly being introduced to someone they start telling me how they did contract work near New Orleans(they were from FL) in a N neighborhood.

This has happened a few times in regards to religion, politics, and race.

Not it's not all FL natives, many times it transplants who have been living here for years, but I have heard on more than one occasion "oh I only go to white doctors, I don't like r*g heads".

I have decided the next time that happens I'm going to tell them my wife is from Iran.

I have found in other states, if people don't know you they don't discuss "hot button" issues. Which IMO is the way it should be.

I don't want to hear about your political, racial, or religious views when I don't know you and wasn't discussing these topics.

While no one should paint a whole state with one brush, I can say out of the 5 states I have lived in I have come in contact with at least more "vocal" bigots in FL.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:03 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
And you "filter" everything about FL. You never find fault with anything in FL.

Yes racism is everywhere, but I notice in FL people who don't know you will discuss politics and make racial comments. They assume because you're white and they're white that you share their views.

My mouth dropped open when after shortly being introduced to someone they start telling me how they did contract work near New Orleans(they were from FL) in a N neighborhood.

This has happened a few times in regards to religion, politics, and race.

Not it's not all FL natives, many times it transplants who have been living here for years, but I have heard on more than one occasion "oh I only go to white doctors, I don't like r*g heads".

I have decided the next time that happens I'm going to tell them my wife is from Iran.

I have found in other states, if people don't know you they don't discuss "hot button" issues. Which IMO is the way it should be.

I don't want to hear about your political, racial, or religious views when I don't know you and wasn't discussing these topics.

While no one should paint a whole state with one brush, I can say out of the 5 states I have lived in I have come in contact with at least more "vocal" bigots in FL.
No I do not - but you like to think I do. And you never find anything GOOD about Florida. That is really too bad, and I feel very sorry for you.

By the way, I am reading Dr Dyer's new book "Wishes Fulfilled" - very inspiring!

Old 03-21-2012, 04:04 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,322,962 times
I've never met any openly racist people. But there's racist people everywhere and they're always going to be around. Might as well get used to them.

The only form of "racism" I've encountered is my mother telling me she doesn't approve of interracial marriage and my grandpa refusing to talk to my aunt because she dated a black man. But that's it.

Most people here or elsewhere aren't racist though, don't know why the OP makes it sound that way. As for the rest of you posters. I don't where you all live but I've never heard anyone say the "n" word or make blunt negative comments about black people.

Last edited by 90sman; 03-21-2012 at 04:14 PM..

Old 03-21-2012, 04:16 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,388,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
I don't where you all live but I've never heard anyone say the "n" word or make blunt negative comments about black people.
I heard more of that in Virginia (near DC no less) than I have down here.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:30 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,522,520 times
It's a socioeconomic thing no matter what state/city you are in.

One of the main things we consider when thinking about moving somewhere is education levels.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:02 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,633,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
...snipped...The only form of "racism" I've encountered is my mother telling me she did not approve of interracial marriage and my grandpa refusing to talk to my aunt because she dated a black man. But that's it.....snipped....
Similar family discussions in the 1950-1960's but, I can honestly say, I never felt they were like "lynching" racist..... I could have cared less. It just wasn't talked about otherwise. Yet we knew and interacted with black people on a regular basis.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:04 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
a close friend of mine goes there alot. neither of us is white. in florida they are just plain nasty. they dont discriminate, they are nasty to everybody. racism is blatant and the wasps dont own a monopoly on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida