Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 12:36 AM

495 posts, read 2,329,077 times

Advertisements

I love these crisp, cool, low humidity days!

OK, I am only dreaming but when the low temps drop to 65, I know fall in North Florida is on the way.

Actually it is still awfully muggy and buggy.

The other day I was working in the sun to put up some fence and it was tough going! It was barely 90 degrees but the humidity was so bad that I had to use my machete to cut a path through the air before I could lay out my fence line!

The grass had grown up so high that you couldnt see the fire ant mounds and I stood on one stringing my barbed wire and they ate up my right leg! I took an emergency Air Cond break in my pickup and because I left the winders open, the cab was full of love bugs.

As I got the AC cranking and things cooled off I noticed that 4 big black GIANT horseflys had landed on my trucks hood and were attempting to get blood out of the metal!

Lordy! I will be so glad when the flannel shirt weather arrives!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 04:01 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
I will be happy to be able to walk my dog at 5:30 in the morning and not sweat to death.

Old 09-24-2007, 04:16 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,490,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacahootaman View Post

OK, I am only dreaming but when the low temps drop to 65, I know fall in North Florida is on the way.

Actually it is still awfully muggy and buggy.

The other day I was working in the sun to put up some fence and it was tough going! It was barely 90 degrees but the humidity was so bad that I had to use my machete to cut a path through the air before I could lay out my fence line!

The grass had grown up so high that you couldnt see the fire ant mounds and I stood on one stringing my barbed wire and they ate up my right leg! I took an emergency Air Cond break in my pickup and because I left the winders open, the cab was full of love bugs.

As I got the AC cranking and things cooled off I noticed that 4 big black GIANT horseflys had landed on my trucks hood and were attempting to get blood out of the metal!

Ohh you should take a sidetrack vaca up north the fall is coming in beautifully up here, although we are going to have summerlike weather here for a couple days.. booo but nothing like fla, the humidity isn't there and yesterday it was warm but we had such a cool breaze, all the windows are open and in the morns you can see your breath. Definetly flannel weather in the morn.
And plus who can resist these colors starting to pop up!
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/Tarastomsgirl/fall7.jpg (broken link)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/Tarastomsgirl/fall3.jpg (broken link)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/Tarastomsgirl/DCFC0193.jpg (broken link)

Old 09-24-2007, 04:57 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,837,664 times
Oh- I was in NH last October- it was my first time seeing the NE Foliage and it was spectacular!!! I have a photo I took at Hampton beach looking up the railroad tracks from that little bridge and it's beautiful!!!!!!

We even saw snow that weekend.

And here I sit in muggy, humid Florida. Sweating before 7AM!!!!!! But I wouldn't choose to live anyplace else.....

Old 09-24-2007, 05:55 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacahootaman View Post

And that means LOVE BUGS are right around the corner! Geez, who can't wait for those! This past May they were awful in SW FL; my husband spent 1/2-1hr every night waiting in line at the car wash [our fabulous HOA in the condo we are renting will not allow car washing in the driveway].

So, even though temps may actually fall below 90 & humidity may be below 65%, one has to be ready to be attacked by the love bugs every time they go outside for 30-40 straight days Why anyone WANTS to live in SW FL amazes me....

Old 09-24-2007, 05:59 AM

[QUOTE=MODERATOR CUT ORPHANED POST..

It happens, but not every day for months on end like the heat & humidity of FL. Plus, you are from Cinc where the place closes down if it snows 2"; which it also happens periodically there, not every day from October to April.

Last edited by sunrico90; 09-24-2007 at 03:05 PM.. Reason: ORPHANED POST

Old 09-24-2007, 06:47 AM

31 posts, read 146,594 times
Default Yes, but...

What will FOLLOW the "upcoming fall season"?

Old 09-24-2007, 06:58 AM

Default Thank You

Thank you for vividly proving that accidents happen EVERYWHERE.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregski99 View Post
Faulconbridge, Australia
Located in the Blue Mountain range just 90 minutes outside Sydney, the little town, at 1,463 feet above sea level, boasts mild temperatures, evenly distributed rainfall and mild humidity, according to www.infobluemountains.net.au.
"We claim to be recognized by the World Meteorological Organization as having the world's most equitable climate."
Click image for larger version

Name:	766833794105_0_ALB.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	8108

Click image for larger version

Name:	778443794105_0_ALB.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	8109
I was lucky enough to travel to Australia during their winter and spend some time in the Blue Mountains a few years back. There is NOTHING in Florida or many places in the US for that matter, that compares to the natural beauty & form of the Blue Mountains. They are called the Blue Mountains due to the hue that the ecualyptis leaves give off. The whole area smells like ecualyptis also, not dead fish.

There is nothing that compares to the fall foliage in places such as Vermont, Mass., & NH. It is true natural beauty where one can go outside & breath for a change.

All SW FL has to offer in the fall is love bugs & temps that are in the 80s. And the humidity is still there.

SW FL has no natural beauty at all [save for low tide days on Sanibel]. Overall, if one likes change of seasons & variety in their weather, SW FL is one depressing place to live. I can't even believe it is fall for it was about 94 & humid yesterday & the same will be today, & tommorow, and the day after that...

BUt, I have heard places in northern FL do experience seasonal change which must be nice.

[And removing snow from one's car is not a big deal...at all...ice, on the other hand, that is a nasty job, but again, it's every once in awhile & allows for everyone to start work later in the day & end earlier. Even better, kids might get snow days which is a great memory to have as a kid. I taught for 4 yrs in NE Ohio and had 1 snow day my second year of teaching. Winter is NOT that bad in the midwest anymore due to global climate changes but fall is as always, beautiful]

Last edited by 121804; 09-24-2007 at 07:40 AM..

Old 09-24-2007, 08:03 AM

Default Wow!!!

This is awesome that none of us have any real work to do today except post how much we hate or love various areas. It always amazes me how much time people devote to what they consider the important things. Gee, if you dislike Florida THAT much why even go on a site that involves it? There are sites for every state in the nation. I've checked most of them and still haven't found "paradise". Go figure. As I was just told..."Get a life"! So I guess that it's time to do some REAL work. (And try to scroll past the "My dad's better than your dad" posts).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida