Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 06:34 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,139,059 times

Advertisements

Today I found my cat playing with a live 14" Coral Snake ( and yes I double checked and compared photos) red on yellow kills a fellow, he was definitely a coral. So I put him in a giant empty water pond and called around to see, if any agency wanted him FL DOW, County agencies, etc., nobody did so I had to kill him, I have children.

Question: What's the likelyhood I have more of these serpents around. I notice black racers in my yard and they appear to be a family, a large one will come out of the ground (probably dad), then a slightly smaller (mom), then several small ones 7 inches or so (the kids). Are corals like this do they congregrate in groups?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 04:49 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post

Question: What's the likelyhood I have more of these serpents around. I notice black racers in my yard and they appear to be a family, a large one will come out of the ground (probably dad), then a slightly smaller (mom), then several small ones 7 inches or so (the kids). Are corals like this do they congregrate in groups?
If you have many snakes around your house i'd assume snakes of the more deadly kind could also find your area attractive.
Odd the coral snake didnt bite your cat.

http://animals.nationalgeographic.co...n-coral-snake/

Old 08-04-2011, 03:13 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,225,857 times
They're more solitary.

Eastern Coral Snake

Look in the section called "Lifestyle".

Old 08-04-2011, 08:28 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,139,059 times
Thanks for the links, they were different than ones I found. Yeah, I'm suprised he didn't bite the cat also, must have walked up on it right at the beginning. The snake was kinda balled up and the cat was lightly pawing it. The snake was real lethargic until he was in the giant container for about 10 minutes, then he really started moving , trying to get out.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:30 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Unfortunate you had to kill the snake,I would have driven it out to some remote area and let it loose..

Old 08-05-2011, 01:45 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
I would have tossed it at the neighbor's dog, the one that keeps barking all night long.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:12 AM

509 posts, read 1,680,536 times
Your coral snake might not have looked like some of the pictures you saw because there is more than one variety.

Old 08-06-2011, 02:12 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahastar View Post
Your coral snake might not have looked like some of the pictures you saw because there is more than one variety.
...and what varieties would they be? Other than Eastern Coral snake, I mean....and existing in Florida.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,283 times
hello my son picked up his lizard and it died in minits gasping for air a few hours he picked up his ball python and it died in moments and went stiff around his neck in less than two minits what would do this and that fast i'v never seen anything do something that fast ever.... please help...!!!!

Old 06-26-2012, 12:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,262 times
Only the red on yellow variety of Coral Snake is native to Florida. There are other Coral Snakes in the Americas that are red on black but not in Florida. However, if you see a red on black, yellow on black, that is a harmless King Snake. They can actually EAT venemous snakes as they are immune to the venom.

It's safe to assume that the Coral Snake doesn't have family neaby but be on the lookout for other individuals. I think this goes for everyone in Florida regardless if you've ever seen one.

It's rather sad that we in Florida don't have someone to call to remove and relocate a venemous snake. I had a Copperhead in my garage once. I tried calling around to wildlife agencies/private outfits. One guy wanted over $400 to come out. My neighbor killed it when I on the phone and thinking of a way to relocate it. I don't have experience with venousous snakes but have handled other reptiles, so it was out of my league.

With regard to the black racers, just leave them alone and keep kids and dogs away from them. I'm sure the family will go their seperate ways soon. Personally, I love to see them.

(Note to HANSC: Please consult a reptile vet. or at least someone at a good pet store before you keep any more reptiles. Most likely they didn't have proper diet and/or housing.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida