Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 09:15 AM

34 posts, read 81,508 times

Advertisements

I moved from CT to Miami in January and I am now considering moving to maybe tampa to fit my needs. I am 23 single, and nightlife is important to me but it is just too much here in miami. I don't need 50 dance clubs and they are only on the beach, and I feel like a minority here as I am a white person. I love hispanic people but it is just too much for me. I am wondering for those who have lived in miami and tampa what would I be missing out on if i moved to tampa.? I know nightlife but I am sure tampa has a good scene I am not into all the tourists in south beach it gets old and is way to expensive for me anyways.. any advice? I love the warm weather beaches and every other aspect of florida just not so much miami.. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 10:28 AM

250 posts, read 696,836 times
Best advice in the world... Go there and see it for yourself. Spend a long weekend. Its not all that far. I like Tampa better for what it has that interests me. Miami is pretty but thats about where it ends for me. I am spending a year here and Im out myself.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:34 AM

why do you prefer tampa to miami? just trying to get some insight to people who have lived in both

Old 07-10-2012, 11:09 AM

Tampa has at least 5 excellent skateboard parks where Miami has no world class parks. Tampa has a realistic economy and a lower cost of living. Miami is the Magic City because it has its head in the clouds or as I like to say in the sand. Tampa is more of a real Florida city. You dont have to be bilingual in Tampa. I was just turned down a management job because as the CEO put it: Our labor team doesnt speak english. Less corruption and BS politics. A lot of projects get done in Tampa. Here it gets drug around through the bureaucracy and pushed under the rug if no one can get their pockets lined. Up to 4 offroad motorcycle riding areas. The South Beach $20-$25 dollar flat fee parking. I could go on and on and on. But as I said its just best to go there and do your own due diligence based on your personal requirements. It will just seem like another bashing Miami post.

Ybor City has plenty of bars and a few clubs. Its not my thing... I wonder what Miami would be like without all the clubs and bars?

To just pick through your post:

I don't need 50 dance clubs and they are only on the beach......... There are clubs in Tampa but less clubs, girls you can actually talk to, and less goldiggers than Miami.

I feel like a minority here as I am a white person. ..........If youre not Latin you are a minority.

I am wondering for those who have lived in miami and tampa what would I be missing out on if i moved to tampa.? I know nightlife but I am sure tampa has a good scene I am not into all the tourists in south beach it gets old and is way to expensive for me anyways.. any advice? ..........Depends what youre into besides the party scene.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:35 AM

Yes that was my issue, with Miami I am sick of the europeans tourists and feel like the minority and the clubs are so expensive. I want something that is cheaper, not so many tourists and I don't even go to south beach any more it gets old and tired and cost of living I love about tampa as well. The women here are all gold diggers

Old 07-10-2012, 11:49 AM

Tampa could be a good spot for you. I could write so much about the downside of Miami. I would pick Tampa over Orlando too. I like that my friends are here and its a beautiful view but when you have to get to the people and day to day dealing with the BS it gets to be too much real quick. I told them I would be here for a year so enjoy it. Im thinking Tampa/St.Pete or a suburb. Or maybe Cocoa Beach and I can go to Orlando if I want a city fix.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:07 PM

419 posts, read 999,194 times
Why do people assume Miami is the only place for nightlife? People forget there are a ton of cities with great nightlife!

MIAMI sure it is known for nightlife, but you don't need to be there in order to have fun.

Besides in Miami you have to have to have tons of cash and meet "There" requirements in order to get in.

Or unless you are a female you have to look like a model, it is extremely competitive to get into clubs these days over there these days.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:20 PM

Parking $25.00, $30.00 entry... oh youre a man? Wait at the rope please. You slipped the bouncer a $20.00? Come on in. How about a $15.00 drink?

Oh you got lucky somehow and want to take a girl out? Leased your Audi, BMW, Mercedes I bet. Add to the above her dinner, entry fee of $25.00, her drinks, and breakfast at the diner after... Take her home and she says "I had a great time! Call me if you want to go out again!" as the front door slams in your face.

Ugh! I just fell asleep at my laptop and had a Miami nightmare!

Old 07-10-2012, 12:29 PM

I agree, I moved here thinking that too but I am not into it at all. Luckily for now I have fort lauderdale still which is only a 20 minute drive and the hard rock where I do all my partying at.. I am just over the whole Miami nightlife scene and yeah you don't need to live on the tourist spot to have fun!!! you can have fun in other cities too in Florida, how many clubs do you really need to go to? lol

Old 07-10-2012, 03:04 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,013,887 times
I see a lot about the post has to do with nightlife. You mentioned the beach and clubs. I imagine you have been to Brickell, Coconut Grove and Downtown South Miami right? We can put in midtown in there too. And of course there are plenty of bars and non clubs on Lincoln Road and scattered around Miami Beach like on Purdy Ave and Hispanola Way.

Tampa is a decent metro area and will have plenty of things to do. It won't offer the variety or amount of Miami and won't be as much as a 24hr place but I am sure there is plenty. I think the most important thing should be a job. You have one in Miami? Will you have one ready in Tampa?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida