Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 09:24 PM

15 posts, read 37,159 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am pondering moving to Port Orange to attend the DC College there. Due to this I will be spending at least four if not five years in the area and possibly making it my forever home. I am wondering if the area is safe for living in an RV for an extended period of time. Hopefully I will be able to afford a down payment on a home after my first year there but in order to not go broke paying rent and be able to afford that down payment my plan is to live out of an RV for a year.
What are the laws for parking near the beach overnight? Would a converted school bus be asking for trouble? I would rather boondock with solar and get my tanks pumped every week or so instead of living in a mobile home lot. Is this the type of area where an unattended RV would get the solar panels stolen off of it or broken into?
Although it does not have to do with life in an RV I am curious about sustainable and locavore organic food opportunities. Is there a farmers market in Port Orange? Are there community gardens? Are there CSAs? Does the nearest Costco have a vast organic selection (is there even a Costco nearby)?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 04:00 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,424,202 times
The nearest Costco to my knowledge is in Orlando, there's a Sam's Club in PO and soon to be a BJ's - as for the specific info you're seeking, probably best to visit or call.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:37 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
I went through a time where i lived in my car for a few months back in the early 70's, my parking areas were along Atlantic ave, i remember being frequently harassed by the cops and most times being told to move on,An old school bus being used as a camper in boondock mode will stick out like a sore thumb to the police, i doubt things have changed over the years.Walmarts and the likes will let you park for a week or two but when it looks like you are living full time in their parking lot they'll probably ask you to leave.Youd be better off looking for an inexpensive campsite.
Also if you have an old school bus as residence you'll also need a car to get around in as using the bus for your daily commuting is gonna get old.
Better yet just rent an apartment with some room mates.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:33 AM

Are there any specific laws regarding living in a vehicle in either DB or PO? I know in some cities it is illegal to sleep in a car but an rv can be parked in one location for three days. I have stealth camped in a westfalia van for years but that was all on the west coast. The only times I was ever bothered was when some thugs tried to break into my van. As for commuting I prefer public transit and a bicycle even though I have a car, after all getting there is half the fun and I'm too busy to work out at a gym!

Old 10-21-2012, 07:15 PM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogichirogirl View Post
Hello,
I am pondering moving to Port Orange to attend the DC College there. Due to this I will be spending at least four if not five years in the area and possibly making it my forever home. I am wondering if the area is safe for living in an RV for an extended period of time. Hopefully I will be able to afford a down payment on a home after my first year there but in order to not go broke paying rent and be able to afford that down payment my plan is to live out of an RV for a year.
What are the laws for parking near the beach overnight? Would a converted school bus be asking for trouble? I would rather boondock with solar and get my tanks pumped every week or so instead of living in a mobile home lot. Is this the type of area where an unattended RV would get the solar panels stolen off of it or broken into?
Although it does not have to do with life in an RV I am curious about sustainable and locavore organic food opportunities. Is there a farmers market in Port Orange? Are there community gardens? Are there CSAs? Does the nearest Costco have a vast organic selection (is there even a Costco nearby)?
Thanks!
You do realize that Daytona is full of transients and the cops will harass you if they think you are one of them. You will not be able to stay anywhere near the beach at night in a school bus RV......Mel Gibson/Lethal Weapon/beachside trailer living is not happening.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
You do realize that Daytona is full of transients and the cops will harass you if they think you are one of them. You will not be able to stay anywhere near the beach at night in a school bus RV......Mel Gibson/Lethal Weapon/beachside trailer living is not happening.
Yes, I do realize that; I am somewhat hopping it is the type of situation where a bus could just blend in with the rest of the bums... I've never seen Lethal Weapon, I don't watch television. Are there any state or national forests within a half hour drive of PO?

Old 10-21-2012, 09:35 PM

652 posts, read 1,653,229 times
Some of the rest stop along I-95 will let you sleep overnight in you car. They also have security and 24/7 bathrooms but it's just for overnight travelers to get some rest so if they see the same car or person there many nights they may ask you to leave.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:09 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,740,580 times
I've not been to Cricketer's yet. Don't like driving to places if we can avoid it, especially if we're having a drink.

We're walking and biking distance to downtown, so tend to stick to the Dunedin Brewery, Olde Bay Cafe, House of Beer, Jolli Mons, the Living Room, DePaz, Spoto's.

The first two are faves for a beer, the last three are faves for food.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:00 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,174,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogichirogirl View Post
Hello,
Thanks!
So do you plan to park an RV all over the area for the 2-4 years that you are going to college? Sounds like more trouble than it is worth. Most Floridians call the police to report suspicious cars parked on their streets or business parking lots whenever they see one. I am not even sure if you can do the Walmart Parking lots like up North because of the city ordinances . What will you do for address for college? You do realize you will be paying out of state tuition, don't you? You cannot move to Florida and attend college while you establish residency. For residency you will need a physical address, proving you own or rent , pay electricity, etc. You will have to get the Florida driver's license, tags, and register the RV in Florida. Parking in a beach lot you will get kicked out every night because the parks close at night and the police/sheriff's deputies do check them for drifters .

A converted school bus will stand out like a thorn and definitely draw attention, so I would advise you to just cough up the rent on an RV park, where you will be more comfortable and only have to move your camper about once a month or so to a different park for a few nights, to be able to stay in the same RV park longer.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:06 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,376,331 times
there is a rv park on clyde morris ave why not park it there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida