Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 10:16 AM

184 posts, read 248,611 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, i'm new to these forums so i'm not sure if this the correct place to post this but it looks like it.

So i've lived in Ohio all my life and i just can't take it anymore. I hate snow/cold weather and i just need a change of life.

I want to move sometime within the next year or so. I was wondering if anyone has any experience living in Austin, TX or Southern Florida. I want a good singles night life, warm weather, friendly good looking people. Also, where in Southern Florida would be a good city to live? Miami, Sarasota, St. Petes, West Palm Beach have been on my mind.

A little background on myself. I'm 32, male, straight, recently single, no kids, in great shape, love diet and exercise. I've been a software developer for 8 years so i'd be leaving a good job behind. I have a possible job opportunity in Austin but i'm sort of leaning towards Florida because i'm partial to palm trees and beaches. I also know Florida is consistently warmer. I have not heard anything negative about Austin though.

One last thing, my mom and dad who i'm close with will still be in Ohio and i know there is no direct flight to Austin so visiting would be much easier from Florida.

Does anyone have any experience in these cities?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 10:52 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,448,079 times
In this economy, go where you get a job lined up.
Best of luck!

Old 12-06-2012, 10:50 AM

27,202 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUbrew View Post
I want to move sometime within the next year or so. I was wondering if anyone has any experience living in Austin, TX or Southern Florida. I want a good singles night life, warm weather, friendly good looking people. Also, where in Southern Florida would be a good city to live? Miami, Sarasota, St. Petes, West Palm Beach have been on my mind.

A little background on myself. I'm 32, male, straight, recently single, no kids, in great shape, love diet and exercise. I've been a software developer for 8 years so i'd be leaving a good job behind. I have a possible job opportunity in Austin but i'm sort of leaning towards Florida because i'm partial to palm trees and beaches. I also know Florida is consistently warmer.
I would highly recommend St Petersburg. It has a pretty decent singles scene more oriented to thirty-somethings, unlike South Florida (Miami/South Beach especially) and Austin which in my opinion are more geared toward twenty-somethings. It's quite friendly as well, lacking in the pretense so often found elsewhere. I also like the choice between a downtown nightlife scene or a more beachy vibe in neighboring St Pete Beach and Treasure Island. In terms of weather, St Pete pretty much always has a prevailing seabreeze off the Gulf of Mexico, even in the hotter months...unlike Austin which is screaming hot from June into September and even somewhat chilly December through February.

Surprising St Pete
Average Weather for Saint Petersburg, FL - Temperature and Precipitation
Average Weather for Austin, TX - Temperature and Precipitation

Old 12-07-2012, 05:03 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,890,280 times
It's just my personal opinion, but I think that you'd be a fool to pass on Austin for anywhere in Florida.

You're recently single and still young, you have the opportunity for a great job, and you'll be living in a city with one of the best non-ivy league Universities in the country, among the most beautiful women in Texas. You have access to the Coast when you want to go (Corpus Christi) is 3 hours away. The best thing that you'd have access to is the Texas Hill Country. I won't post photos, but just google it.

San Antonio has an International Airport and is only about an hour and half from Austin. If you can't catch a flight out of San Antonio, Houston has an International and Intercontinental airport and is only 2 1/2 hours away. If that doesn't work for you, DFW is only 3 hours away.

The most important things to consider between Texas & Florida is the economy and the cost of living.

Either way, Good luck in what you decide !

Old 12-07-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I would highly recommend St Petersburg. It has a pretty decent singles scene more oriented to thirty-somethings, unlike South Florida (Miami/South Beach especially) and Austin which in my opinion are more geared toward twenty-somethings. It's quite friendly as well, lacking in the pretense so often found elsewhere. I also like the choice between a downtown nightlife scene or a more beachy vibe in neighboring St Pete Beach and Treasure Island. In terms of weather, St Pete pretty much always has a prevailing seabreeze off the Gulf of Mexico, even in the hotter months...unlike Austin which is screaming hot from June into September and even somewhat chilly December through February.

Surprising St Pete
Average Weather for Saint Petersburg, FL - Temperature and Precipitation
Average Weather for Austin, TX - Temperature and Precipitation
Funny, I actually know some girls that moved down there and they love it. I was actually thinking of that area because I would know some people at least.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
It's just my personal opinion, but I think that you'd be a fool to pass on Austin for anywhere in Florida.

You're recently single and still young, you have the opportunity for a great job, and you'll be living in a city with one of the best non-ivy league Universities in the country, among the most beautiful women in Texas. You have access to the Coast when you want to go (Corpus Christi) is 3 hours away. The best thing that you'd have access to is the Texas Hill Country. I won't post photos, but just google it.

San Antonio has an International Airport and is only about an hour and half from Austin. If you can't catch a flight out of San Antonio, Houston has an International and Intercontinental airport and is only 2 1/2 hours away. If that doesn't work for you, DFW is only 3 hours away.

The most important things to consider between Texas & Florida is the economy and the cost of living.

Either way, Good luck in what you decide !
Thanks. Yea Austin does seem very nice, especially after doing a lot of research. I've even decided to throw Southern Cali and Hawaii into the mix of possible places, but I know they're expensive.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:06 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
I think you should go where you have a job offer in hand.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:57 PM

I'd honestly like to go to a location i'll be happiest and start fresh. I have a great job now and want to leave because i'm miserable and depressed living here.

Places i've been resarching a lot now include:
St. Petersburg, FL
Sarasota, FL (Siesta Key?)
Miami, FL

San Diego, CA

Austin, TX

Hawaii (probably near Honolulu for work)

Old 12-07-2012, 05:59 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
I'd honestly like to go to a location i'll be happiest and start fresh. I have a great job now and want to leave because i'm miserable and depressed living here.

St. Petersburg, FL
Miami, FL

San Diego, CA

Austin, TX

For myself, I could never live where I could not be right near a coast. Me and my husband live in Sarasota, and for us it is paradise. He drives into Tampa every day for work (1 hour) and has done so for many years. Our second favorite place if we did not live here would be St. Pete. You should really check out the area and see if it's for you. Not sure what your job prospects are, you will need to research that.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:09 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,890,280 times
Quote:

St. Petersburg, FL
Miami, FL

San Diego, CA

Austin, TX

I'll be completely honest with you, and I have a rep for being negative about Florida and highly positive about Texas on these forums, but if I had my choice and was able to live somewhere where I'd be happiest, it would be St. Petersburg Beach, but then, that's where I'm from and that's in a perfect world. The economy, jobs, and an affordable cost of living is what brought me to Texas.

I would never move to California or Hawaii, no matter how much money I had. My $0.02.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida