Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 01:40 PM

114 posts, read 751,044 times

Advertisements

Is there any suggestions with moving teens. I have a 13 and 15 year old and they don't want to move from up north to the south. They totally avoid the conversation and get stressed when talking about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 02:22 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,930,209 times
What area are you moving to? Maybe you could look into the activities that are available for teens in that area.

If you're more specific with the area maybe someone on City-Data would know what things are available for teens in that area?

Old 01-01-2008, 02:22 PM

672 posts, read 906,731 times
Tell them they can go to the beach all the time? I know mine would have been mad too at that age. Fortunately, when we did have to move here they were in their 20s and on their own.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:31 PM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,499,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valnf View Post
Is there any suggestions with moving teens. I have a 13 and 15 year old and they don't want to move from up north to the south. They totally avoid the conversation and get stressed when talking about it.
Picking up and moving the entire family is a huge decision. I would suggest if your kids are not on board you should reconsider. It is hard enough for kids, especially teens these days without that kind of added stress.
Wait a few years and let them leave the nest first and then move if you must.

We moved here in September, my youngest at 20 refused to come. We had to leave as my husbands tour of duty in Canada was over. We had already moved our kids once before that to another foreign country. Lucky for us at that time they wanted the move and were excited for it. This time it was different and one of my sons just didn't want to come. We had been in Canada for five years, he had his life established and refused to make any more changes.
I would not force teens to move unless it was absolutely unavoidable.

BTW, unless you have a lot of money in savings and a very high paying job to come to, moving to Florida right now is not the best idea anyways.

Just my two cents.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:43 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 999,230 times
Quote:
I have a 13 and 15 year old and they don't want to move from up north to the south.
Consider that maybe they're on to something...

Old 01-01-2008, 03:40 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,965,988 times
Quote:

Whats your reasons for moving? If it`s just because then I would say it`s not fair to them. Do you really want miserable teens? Teens are hard enough as it is, they will not make life easy for you.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:16 PM

114 posts, read 751,044 times
Moving due to husband's job. We are thinking about the Pensacola area because husband is working in Mobile, Alabama.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:17 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,930,209 times
That's quite a distance from where I live and I can't say I know a lot about the town. I have visited a few times and it's quite pretty.

I'm sure there is someone that posts on here that could give you some insight.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:20 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,864,651 times
That's when the park season passes come in handy. one price and they have a years worth of entertainment just like most of their friends will. Universal charges about $200 for theirs wdw is quite a bit more. I don;'t know what Seaworld charges. I have the Uni myself.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:32 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,588,185 times
Moving to FL with kids can be a hassle, I moved here with a girl going into her Senior year and a boy going into Freshman year, well with all the credits my daughter had from NJ she could have graduated the minute she got here
the local HS didn't know what to do with her, gave her one PE class and 6 study classes. My younger one, slept through most of his classes as a Freshman as he had all that they were teaching as Freshman, he had in middle school, the schools are way behind the Northern schools.

After the newest of moving wore off, and going to the beach everyday got boring, they complained and complained, both got jobs and eventually my daughter went back North after graduation and got a really good job, my son
graduated and owns his own business here.

Good luck on your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida