Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 02:33 PM

9 posts, read 18,047 times

Advertisements

We are making an out-of-state move to FL. We have family (that are getting up in years and will need help) living in Lakeland. We have been wanting to make this move for years. We do want a family friendly area but we do not care about school systems, we are homeschoolers. Besides looking in Lakeland what other cities near Lakeland would you suggest? We would love to live in an area that has walking trails or neighborhood streets that are safe to walk on (not busy roads). We would enjoy being within walking distance to a lake or lakes. Our budget is up to $225,000 and we are looking for either newer homes or older homes that have been updated. We prefer an area that has people living there of varying ages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 02:39 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
Maybe bartow or mulberry ? i have friends that live in Lakeland and Tampa and Tampa is too busy for them and they wished they had bought in mulberry or maybe winter haven ? I have friends there . I mean we still keep in touch but they always say they want to live in winter haven , mulberry or bartow . I know Bartow is the county seat of Polk county . you might start looking there or perhaps kathleen . Hope I have helped .

Old 01-08-2013, 04:35 PM

213 posts, read 660,164 times
With your house budget you could live in any city in Polk County. The best area of Lakeland is the 33813 area code. If you want a smaller town with less traffic that is not to far from Lakeland , you could try Auburndale, there are a lot of family neighborhoods and it has grown a lot yet still has the small town feel. Polk has over 400 lakes so there are many choices for neighborhoods close to a lake. Winter Haven is not a bad option, but you would be further from Lakeland, Winter Haven has a group of lakes called the chain of lakes it is several lakes that are connected by canals so you can take a boat and visit several lakes at once. And, there are neighborhoods on all of them. Mulberry is small has some newer houses on the outskirts, the town itself does not offer a lot. Bartow is a small town too, not a lot in the town to do, but has a nice part of town full of older homes, if you like historical. All of the towns have certain areas you would want to stay away from, areas that have more crime, so check things out. Most neighborhoods have a variety of ages, there are 55plus communities but that is made known, so you should be ok.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Maybe bartow or mulberry ? i have friends that live in Lakeland and Tampa and Tampa is too busy for them and they wished they had bought in mulberry or maybe winter haven ? I have friends there . I mean we still keep in touch but they always say they want to live in winter haven , mulberry or bartow . I know Bartow is the county seat of Polk county . you might start looking there or perhaps kathleen . Hope I have helped .
Thank you! I visited Winter Haven's website and really liked what I saw. I am definitely adding it to our list. I am going to look into Mulberry and Bartow now. I am also going to see what kind of properties are on the market in each. Again, thank you!

Old 01-08-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straw71 View Post
With your house budget you could live in any city in Polk County. The best area of Lakeland is the 33813 area code. If you want a smaller town with less traffic that is not to far from Lakeland , you could try Auburndale, there are a lot of family neighborhoods and it has grown a lot yet still has the small town feel. Polk has over 400 lakes so there are many choices for neighborhoods close to a lake. Winter Haven is not a bad option, but you would be further from Lakeland, Winter Haven has a group of lakes called the chain of lakes it is several lakes that are connected by canals so you can take a boat and visit several lakes at once. And, there are neighborhoods on all of them. Mulberry is small has some newer houses on the outskirts, the town itself does not offer a lot. Bartow is a small town too, not a lot in the town to do, but has a nice part of town full of older homes, if you like historical. All of the towns have certain areas you would want to stay away from, areas that have more crime, so check things out. Most neighborhoods have a variety of ages, there are 55plus communities but that is made known, so you should be ok.
Thank you so much...this is very helpful! I have also added Auburndale to the list. I am thinking that Bartow and Mulberry might be too small town*ish*. I will look into those though. Again, thank you!

Old 01-08-2013, 07:24 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by byebyegloom View Post
Thank you! I visited Winter Haven's website and really liked what I saw. I am definitely adding it to our list. I am going to look into Mulberry and Bartow now. I am also going to see what kind of properties are on the market in each. Again, thank you!
We used to live in Lakeland and thought it was a beautiful place to live - very artsy and charming restored downtown around a central park, and so many lakes you almost felt like you were on the coast! Best neighborhoods are basically southside and further south.

We also loved Winter Haven when we visited (felt like a junior Lakeland). I will say we did not care for Mulberry (too small and rural feeling) or Bartow -REALLY do not like Bartow. Just doesn't have the charm of Lakeland or Winter Haven to me. But that's me, you might love it.

Good luck to you!

Old 01-08-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
We used to live in Lakeland and thought it was a beautiful place to live - very artsy and charming restored downtown around a central park, and so many lakes you almost felt like you were on the coast! Best neighborhoods are basically southside and further south.

We also loved Winter Haven when we visited (felt like a junior Lakeland). I will say we did not care for Mulberry (too small and rural feeling) or Bartow -REALLY do not like Bartow. Just doesn't have the charm of Lakeland or Winter Haven to me. But that's me, you might love it.

Good luck to you!
Thank you! It's nice to hear from someone that lived in Lakeland. I am thinking that Bartow and Mulberry are not for us. Small town is not what we are looking for. We are going to really enjoy having all the lakes. Again, thank you much!

Old 01-09-2013, 06:35 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by byebyegloom View Post
Thank you! It's nice to hear from someone that lived in Lakeland. I am thinking that Bartow and Mulberry are not for us. Small town is not what we are looking for. We are going to really enjoy having all the lakes. Again, thank you much!
You will love the lakes in Lakeland - we lived near Lake Hollingsworth, which is the southside downtown area near Florida Southern College. There is a wonderful multi-use path 3 mile path going all around the lake, and you will see walkers, joggers, skaters of all ages at all times of the day and night. The scenery all around is gorgeous, and there are loads of wild birds and wildlife to see.

A little north of that lake is Lake Morton, smaller lake which is a swan sanctuary. This too is beautiful. The swan is Lakeland's mascot. Downtown you have Lake Mirror, which has a restored vintage promenade going all the way around, an amphitheater for live concerts, plus the gorgeous one-acre formal Hollis Gardens.

I definitely think Lakeland would be the place for you.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:57 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
I agree that Auburndale would be a great option.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
You will love the lakes in Lakeland - we lived near Lake Hollingsworth, which is the southside downtown area near Florida Southern College. There is a wonderful multi-use path 3 mile path going all around the lake, and you will see walkers, joggers, skaters of all ages at all times of the day and night. The scenery all around is gorgeous, and there are loads of wild birds and wildlife to see.

A little north of that lake is Lake Morton, smaller lake which is a swan sanctuary. This too is beautiful. The swan is Lakeland's mascot. Downtown you have Lake Mirror, which has a restored vintage promenade going all the way around, an amphitheater for live concerts, plus the gorgeous one-acre formal Hollis Gardens.

I definitely think Lakeland would be the place for you.
Sounds so beautiful! And I have always wanted to see swans in nature. We have a lot of ducks and geese here but have never seen a swan. Thank you so much for all your help!

Last edited by byebyegloom; 01-09-2013 at 09:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida