Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 06:12 AM

2 posts, read 4,856 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving to Florida but I am not at all interested in "cookie cutter" homes. Are there areas in FL where your more likely to find a Frank Lloyd Wright style home than others?

Maybe even larger sq ft ranches built in the 50's and 60's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 06:26 AM

2,962 posts, read 5,002,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutaOhio View Post
I am thinking of moving to Florida but I am not at all interested in "cookie cutter" homes. Are there areas in FL where your more likely to find a Frank Lloyd Wright style home than others?

If you're talking FLW , then follow the money, that's easy enough. As for the 50's and 60's ranchers, why? Most of them are devoid of any detail, and are the "cookie cutter" homes of their day. Not to mention that they will be more to insure if not up to code. Are you looking for kitsch?

Old 02-03-2013, 06:31 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
Quote:

I too have similar taste in architectural style and will tell you that Belleair and Belleair Bluffs in Pinellas County (just SW of Clearwater) is the place to check out. Both towns are full of well-preserved/well kept up 1950s Florida ranch style homes and built on higher elevation that is not flood-prone or mandatory evacuation like many coastal areas.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:46 AM

2 posts, read 4,856 times
I wouldn't say it has to be a ranch, I just don't like newer homes. Cheaply built, no style... unless you have deep pockets.

If any of you are familiar with Central Ohio, there are neighborhoods, Upper Arlington, Grandview Heights, and my fav Bexley. They are older neighborhoods (circa. 1900's), custom homes, tree lined mature streets. Many of the residents very affluent. Although deals can be found on the out skirts.

I don't expect to get a FLW in my budget, but if I was able to find a older ranch or two story with some charm I would be very happy.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:08 AM

[quote=OutaOhio;28071176
I don't expect to get a FLW in my budget, but if I was able to find a older ranch or two story with some charm I would be very happy.[/QUOTE]

What is your budget? That would certainly help as prices vary considerably across the state.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:25 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,656,534 times
Quote:
I wouldn't say it has to be a ranch, I just don't like newer homes. Cheaply built, no style... unless you have deep pockets.

If any of you are familiar with Central Ohio, there are neighborhoods, Upper Arlington, Grandview Heights, and my fav Bexley. They are older neighborhoods (circa. 1900's), custom homes, tree lined mature streets. Many of the residents very affluent. Although deals can be found on the out skirts.

I don't expect to get a FLW in my budget, but if I was able to find a older ranch or two story with some charm I would be very happy.
You can find plenty of good builders that build a quality home at a good price. You can get exactly what you want then. I sketched out my floor plan and did much of the interior and exterior design work for my home and then handed off to my builder to have the architect draw it up.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:36 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,322,190 times
Quote:
Are there areas in FL where your more likely to find a Frank Lloyd Wright style home than others?
Ortega in Jacksonville has beautiful classically styled homes: Take a look at Street View in this neighborhood

South Tampa has many neighborhoods with non-cookie-cutter homes. Here is one example (Palma Ceia).

There are of course tons of architectural homes in Miami and throughout South Florida, but they cost a fortune and most are modern rather than classical style.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:07 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,497,010 times
Newer FL homes have been built per latest hurricane/wind regulations. This often means the insurance is much cheaper for the newer homes because they have been built to withstand certain wind speeds and wind pressure.

Some older homes can have HO insurance rates that can be several thousand dollars per year.

You should talk to an insurance agent to get a feel for expected insurance premiums based on age of home. Hurricane straps and such started getting added later.

You will probably find that newer homes aren't cheaply built like you think. The structure part is where they have been beefing them up. Surely older homes are built decently also, but the insurance carriers might think the older ones are higher risk for wind storm damage. Just check insurance well ahead of time so you aren't shocked with a $500/mo insurance premium.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Surely older homes are built decently also, but the insurance carriers might think the older ones are higher risk for wind storm damage. Just check insurance well ahead of time so you aren't shocked with a $500/mo insurance premium.
Particularly since older homes have been through umpteen hurricanes without damage or destruction. Worth noting that Homebuilders and Insurance Companies have lobbying groups, while existing homes don't have any such representation. Think on that for a minute.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:43 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,497,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Particularly since older homes have been through umpteen hurricanes without damage or destruction. Worth noting that Homebuilders and Insurance Companies have lobbying groups, while existing homes don't have any such representation. Think on that for a minute.
just because something old is still standing, it doesn't mean it was built to withstand the storm. Most places in FL didn't get a direct hit by a hurricane. There are old mobile homes that are still standing in many places. It doesn't mean they were built the withstand a big storm. It usually means they have not been in the direct path of a hurricane.

Also note that older homes might be below required flood zone elevations (if in a flood zone). This could cause very high insurance rates. Although some very old homes were built before the FEMA flood rules so they are grandfathered with flood rates that aren't that bad.

Get an insurance quote on every home before you place an offer, IMO. Give the agent the address. Two homes on the same block can have much different insurance rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida