Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 07:54 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,994,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr5497 View Post
Well, typically a gulf storm has more of a chance crossing the state through Central Florida than an Atlantic storm because of the warm Gulf Stream current. Of course, the 2004 hurricane season was an anomaly, but the warm current generally carries the storms up to the Carolinas, and out to the Atlantic.
What?

The current doesn't carry storms anywhere, LOL. Hurricanes aren't boats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 10:49 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,951,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
I agree, but when we do get hit by the Atlantic storms they tend to be stronger.
Do you remember the little Cat1 that hit us in 1995 from the east coast? Her name was Erin, and while not terribly memorable damage wise, I remember thinking if she had become a 3 or 4 we would have been toast compared to even what Charley did in '04.

Old 12-31-2013, 02:32 PM

565 posts, read 1,254,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
You're welcome!

I'm similar to you, I prefer outdoor activities to clubbing. For real outdoor activities Florida isn't the best state, but since we are talking about Tampa and Orlando, it depends what you prefer.

Tampa has beaches along the coast (St. Pete, Clearwater), so if your idea of outdoors is the beach, it would be a good choice.

Orlando has Wekiwa Springs State Park and nearby Blue Springs State Park. These springs are pristine! You can see every pebble on the bottom. They are great for swimming, snorkeling, canoeing, hiking, camping and wildlife viewing.
There is a long, meandering series of creeks running through Winter Springs where I live (outside Orlando) that are a lot of fun to explore. Clear to the bottom, no more than six feet deep. The last time I was there I saw a Florida panther print on a sandbar. Trails run nearby that are fun to walk. I'm thinking of doing some fossiling in the creeks, too. Creeks like this are all over Orlando. You also have all the bigger lakes. Speaking of wildlife, a bald eagle was perched in my oak tree the other day and Sandhill cranes are everywhere. I love it here.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:15 PM

35,711 posts, read 21,076,200 times
now hat we went into weather - hows the flooding in Orlando?? its bad here,,, just asking

Old 01-02-2014, 05:21 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
now hat we went into weather - hows the flooding in Orlando?? its bad here,,, just asking
It can be bad if one is near a lake/river or in low-lying areas that shouldn't have been developed which the Orlando area has quite a bit of.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:13 PM

109 posts, read 143,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo384 View Post
Orlando for the nightlife and theme parks.
Tampa for the beach access and more water activities.

If I were you I'd look up St. Pete also.

Same here.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:26 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,345,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
It's not too bad since there are lakes, ponds, streams, creeks, etc, that most of the rainwater drains into. I have lived here quite some time, never really had an issues with flooding but I have always lived in higher areas. I have had friends who live in lower areas that have had problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida