Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 07:01 AM

6 posts, read 6,467 times

Advertisements

Well now im understanding that its kind of a bad idea to move to this beautiful state of florida... so this is my other question.. what i do and specialize in is in concrete restoretion.. i jack hammer and poor concrete.. so your telling me there and no jobs at all i can gind out here that requires that line of work?? Also if it dose and u know places and people that do that kind of work .. can u let me know who and the name of company plus number... im really trying to better my life and start a new one.. Massachusetts ate me alive.. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 07:11 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,926,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
Good luck finding a union construction job in Florida. Not saying they don't exist, but I'm sure they're rare. Even if building is picking up I'd imagine there are a lot of skilled trades people that already live here who are trying to get back into construction since the recession. Your best bet would be to have a job in place before you move here, and that job will likely pay a lot less then what you're used to up north.
I dont know about that. It depends on what your education/level is though too. I was the lowest paid management level employee at my firm in FL, and I was pleasantly surprised at the level of pay I was offered. Here in NC, PFT! Good luck! I made 1/3 less in NC and I had more responsibilities. I have 2 friends in construction management, both out of FL, and in the $100k range. I knew electricians making $1200-1500 a week doing peice work.

So often I see people complaining about wages in FL. Man have I gotta different perspective now living in Asheville, NC again.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:13 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,926,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyhaze View Post
Well now im understanding that its kind of a bad idea to move to this beautiful state of florida... so this is my other question.. what i do and specialize in is in concrete restoretion.. i jack hammer and poor concrete.. so your telling me there and no jobs at all i can gind out here that requires that line of work?? Also if it dose and u know places and people that do that kind of work .. can u let me know who and the name of company plus number... im really trying to better my life and start a new one.. Massachusetts ate me alive.. lol
Go online and do a search... Get out of Mass and move to FL.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:13 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,311,760 times
Florida is one of the most notorious Right to Work states of all. I know people who moved from cities like Toledo and Cleveland and had to move back because they could not make a living in FL and also totally understimated their ability to work outdoors for 40+ hours a week in the Florida summers. I am an RN with several years of experience. I currently make around $40/hour in Michigan. If I were to move to Florida, my wages would drop considerably, but the COL is not any lower to compensate for that.

You have to accept that unions are not strong in the Sunbelt states and that your wages will drop from your current rate considerably anywhere in that area. Arizona is the same way, because we lived there for a while for my dh's job. The Phoenix area is inundated with immigrants, both legal and illegal, who are willing to work for peanuts. I wonder if Florida doesn't have the same situation with the Cubans and Haitians.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:48 AM

2,360 posts, read 5,248,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyhaze View Post
That kind of work really isnt a specialty down there. There's a lot of guys doing that down there for ten to twelve dollars an hour. You'll never get ahead doing that for a living. I was doing that when i moved down fron N.H. It was like stepping back in time 20 years wage wise. Im back up here now doing fine.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:19 AM

623 posts, read 966,332 times
Concrete Finisher

State FloridaRoles and responsibilities A member of the Research Recruiting Association in the Construction industry is seeking a full time Concrete Finisher. The company offers the following environment: Fast paced and always busy. Estimated salary of $25 per Hour. The right candidate will have experience with, or the skills and abilities to: Grade work, Clean up job site and stack forms, Perform all tasks involved with concrete. Seeking someone who can successfully perform the following tasks or scope of responsibilities: Finish Concrete, Cutting Concrete, Set Forms. Unique Job Number: FL726. Location: Pompano Beach, FL 33069Apply Apply

Old 03-03-2013, 11:22 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Concrete/Masonry construction is very popular in FL. Not so much 'restoration', but more for new contruction. The slabs and footings of new buildings are made of poured concrete and the exterior walls are usually make of concrete block with some cells that have concrete poured. There are extensive concrete patios..plus pools(lots in inground pools).

larger buildings have poured concrete stairways and tie beams and hallways and balconies on the upper floors(lots of form and pour). There are concete parking garages in the cities.

It's not union work that I am aware of. Also, it's very hot/humid/sunny in FL for 8 months of the year. You get sweaty standing under a tree for 5 minutes on some days. I can't imagine how hot you get working outide for 8 hours a day. But it's year round work versus off during the winter up north.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston904 View Post
Concrete Finisher

State FloridaRoles and responsibilities A member of the Research Recruiting Association in the Construction industry is seeking a full time Concrete Finisher. The company offers the following environment: Fast paced and always busy. Estimated salary of $25 per Hour. The right candidate will have experience with, or the skills and abilities to: Grade work, Clean up job site and stack forms, Perform all tasks involved with concrete. Seeking someone who can successfully perform the following tasks or scope of responsibilities: Finish Concrete, Cutting Concrete, Set Forms. Unique Job Number: FL726. Location: Pompano Beach, FL 33069Apply Apply

Thanks and hiw can i look for more. Construction jobs on that site

Old 03-03-2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Concrete/Masonry construction is very popular in FL. Not so much 'restoration', but more for new contruction. The slabs and footings of new buildings are made of poured concrete and the exterior walls are usually make of concrete block with some cells that have concrete poured. There are extensive concrete patios..plus pools(lots in inground pools).

larger buildings have poured concrete stairways and tie beams and hallways and balconies on the upper floors(lots of form and pour). There are concete parking garages in the cities.

It's not union work that I am aware of. Also, it's very hot/humid/sunny in FL for 8 months of the year. You get sweaty standing under a tree for 5 minutes on some days. I can't imagine how hot you get working outide for 8 hours a day. But it's year round work versus off during the winter up north.
I dont care as long as its a job.. lol. Do u how to find any or know someone

Old 03-03-2013, 11:49 PM

Thanks do much everybody but if anybody knows people and and help me out or pont me to the right directions. Ill be so thankful tryst me you will have no regrets
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida