Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2013, 10:01 AM

330 posts, read 1,085,087 times

Advertisements

I have to admit, this forum has swayed my decision about moving to florida. I have been looking to move down to a warmer climate from NY. I was really gung ho to sell everything and go a couple years ago until I started reading on here.

So I was just wondering if 10 years ago (not sure how long citydata has been around) every one was as negative about florida as they are now on these forums?

I have not moved yet, and I will probably end up in GA or somewhere close but my opinion on living in florida has definitely been changed by reading here. I just have doubts about supporting myself and family down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 12:38 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,964,783 times
Maybe more so negative honestly. 10 years ago while there were jobs the prices to live here were outrageous. If it had stayed the way it did my husband and I would of never had a chance of ever owning a house, or condo or anything . The retires perhaps liked it that way , the prices drove out the young families .

I was living in an apt at the time. I was 20 my husband was getting paid great (for. 20 ear old about $18 an hour) and "condo conversion" was starting. They were literally telling people either buy your condo or get the hell out. They offered us our 1/1 wood frame apt for over $300,000. We declined & twice more we were "kicked out " of other apts due to condo conversion. Many many people lost their homes that way here and had no where to go. This was at the peak boom so maybe 06-07. We became so displaced and so many times and had no hope of buying any house or condo with the prices for a tiny dump of a house being over $400,000 that we moved out of state after hanging on a few more years. Most of our friends left at that time also, in the same position...

The bubble burst within months of moving up there. We moved back the following year, as did all our friends and more and more young families we noticed. My husband works for the county still, and has a good paying job. I'm able to stay at home with our daughter and with prices being so much lower now we have no issues buying a lovely new home to call ours. Honestly I'm glad the bubble burst, I'm sorry for the people it affected the way it did but it had to happen. Things were out of control and there were people suffering and struggling just as bad then that no one talked out. For us at least it's a more even playing ground now. I found it to be way WAY more expensive up north than we ever did down here.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:43 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,311,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnc19694339 View Post
I have to admit, this forum has swayed my decision about moving to florida. I have been looking to move down to a warmer climate from NY. I was really gung ho to sell everything and go a couple years ago until I started reading on here.

So I was just wondering if 10 years ago (not sure how long citydata has been around) every one was as negative about florida as they are now on these forums?

I have not moved yet, and I will probably end up in GA or somewhere close but my opinion on living in florida has definitely been changed by reading here. I just have doubts about supporting myself and family down there.
The wages and job prospects in GA aren't anything to get excited about either, as far one can tell from reading these forums. Ditto SC, NC, and other "warm" states.

I think too many people have flocked to the Southeast in recent years, resulting in a much more competitive job market, and an increase in housing costs without and increase in wages due to supply and demand. I see a lot of threads both here and on other travel/relocation forums from people who tried moving south and ended up moving home for the above reasons, among others. I guess they discovered that warmer winters didn't outweigh the other things, not to mention that they were homesick and missing their friends and families.

Maybe this is why so many people have become so negative on these forums, because they are either transplants who didn't fine the gold at the end of the rainbow like they thought they would, or they are natives who remember what it was like before all the transplants changed things so drastically.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:23 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
The wages and job prospects in GA aren't anything to get excited about either, as far one can tell from reading these forums. Ditto SC, NC, and other "warm" states.

I think too many people have flocked to the Southeast in recent years, resulting in a much more competitive job market, and an increase in housing costs without and increase in wages due to supply and demand. I see a lot of threads both here and on other travel/relocation forums from people who tried moving south and ended up moving home for the above reasons, among others. I guess they discovered that warmer winters didn't outweigh the other things, not to mention that they were homesick and missing their friends and families.

Maybe this is why so many people have become so negative on these forums, because they are either transplants who didn't fine the gold at the end of the rainbow like they thought they would, or they are natives who remember what it was like before all the transplants changed things so drastically.
100% agree ^^^.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:27 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
Excellent post. I agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post

Old 04-16-2013, 08:39 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,385,835 times
Quote:
I think your perception is skewed because this is an internet forum. First, there were way fewer people regularly using the internet than there was a decade ago. Second, haters and complainers will always complain the loudest and get more attention than those who are happy. Not to mention that people just seem to feel more entitled these days. So when things don't go their way, it always must be something else (such as their state/town).

Old 04-16-2013, 09:09 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
I think your perception is skewed because this is an internet forum. First, there were way fewer people regularly using the internet than there was a decade ago. Second, haters and complainers will always complain the loudest and get more attention than those who are happy. Not to mention that people just seem to feel more entitled these days. So when things don't go their way, it always must be something else (such as their state/town).
Another great post with which I agree! ^^^

Old 04-17-2013, 06:55 AM

66 posts, read 97,823 times
Quote:

Florida was awesome, it still is in some aspects, but big development and the constant influx of transients are eroding the quality of life here little by little...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida