Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2013, 04:05 PM

49 posts, read 319,210 times

Advertisements

I am hoping to take a vacation over Christmas to visit my sister and her family who are moving to Mobile, Al. Me and my husband are looking to take maybe 4 days at a beach in Florida for a nice, relaxing but romantic vacation where there is great seafood! We are driving from Virginia to Mobile and would prefer a place that is not too far off the driver back up east (aka within a few hours of the route). I would LOVE to get to key west with my hubby but that is just way too far away. Any other good options that will be pretty warm the last week in December?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 07:04 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,828,609 times
SE or SW Coast (south of Orlando) ... and check the weather reports. The Keys and Miami are warm, if you can stand the chaos and crush. That leaves: Sanibel, West Palm, Boynton, Ft. Myers, Naples, Boca Raton, Ft. Lauderdale. (Many parts of Florida are surprisingly brisk that time of year ... while North Florida is like So. Alabama/Georgia). -- Of course, you can alway opt for the theme parks instead of the beach.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:49 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,205,367 times
You have to remember that even South Florida (including the Keys) can get chilly during the winter, and water temperatures are only about 72F during that time of year in deep South FL...that said, generally the weather down there is nice. I'd choose somewhere like West Palm Beach, as it is the furthest north "Caribbean-like" city in FL that you seem to be looking for. I'd avoid Naples/Ft. Myers, because the Gulf of Mexico in winter is colder than the Atlantic Ocean, so you won't really be able to swim at the beaches there (water temps in the Gulf will be in the 60sF, while the Atlantic in South FL should be in the lower 70sF).

Old 04-23-2013, 06:10 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
SE or SW Coast (south of Orlando) ... and check the weather reports. The Keys and Miami are warm, if you can stand the chaos and crush. That leaves: Sanibel, West Palm, Boynton, Ft. Myers, Naples, Boca Raton, Ft. Lauderdale. (Many parts of Florida are surprisingly brisk that time of year ... while North Florida is like So. Alabama/Georgia). -- Of course, you can alway opt for the theme parks instead of the beach.
I agree regarding Keys and Miami, although the Fort Lauderdale area would probably be the best bet being just 30 minutes north of Miami and equal in terms of climate. Smaller towns such as Delray Beach would be a good focus as they're less crowded. I would however opt out of the theme parks (which are in chillier Orlando anyway) if seeking a more romantic getaway, as Disney never seems to put me in that mood anyway.

Splash Page | Greater Delray Beach Chamber of Commerce

Old 04-23-2013, 07:26 AM

Thanks for your responses! Yeah, I love the Florida keys, I'm just thinking it might too far to drive since I'll have to drive back up north to VA, maybe not though! I will definitely check out West Palm Beach.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:29 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,106,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachie88 View Post
Thanks for your responses! Yeah, I love the Florida keys, I'm just thinking it might too far to drive since I'll have to drive back up north to VA, maybe not though! I will definitely check out West Palm Beach.
yeah west palm beach is the northern limit of 70f winter water temps and it's also not so crowded. I think it's your best bet.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:39 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,004,955 times
If you want to have your best shot at warmish weather. Highs in the 70s and sometimes even low 80s you need to go to Southeast Florida. Palm Beach being the most Northern Spot. Flights are probably not cheap but you could look into driving to Orlando or Tampa and flying to Key West. You could also fly from the Panhandle down into Miami.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:52 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,943,651 times
Miami Beach or Fort Lauderdale would be best for you.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:12 PM

I've also looked into taking a cruise or something leaving from a port but I don't know. I don't want to leave much later than the 26th because I really have limited time, we aren't looking to spend a huge amount, and cruises seem questionable in terms of ethics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida