Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 09:01 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHborn View Post
I know you had a bad experience and yes it is old, but calling NH dirty? Come on. Leave your upper class enclave in Naples and look around a little.
Of all the cities I lived in in FL, Naples was my least favorite. Never cared for it there. Estero was my favorite next toMelbourne.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 09:04 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Coming from Myrtle Beach, South Carolina the biggest difference for me is twelve months of beach weather as opposed to 7-8.

No state income tax.

Otherwise? Notsomuch.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:16 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
Originally from Brooklyn NY born and raised, but we moved to South Florida from Charlotte NC...NYC and South Florida not much difference as far as Weather is concerned in the Summer...There isn't much that we miss from NY as South Florida just feels like home...No Winters..lol Awesome...We really love the Food and being able to spend alot of time outdoors...Just a different lifestyle....Growing up not far from the Water that is what we love the most, We arent Beach people but love knowing that the water is not far...

could never imagine ever going back to live, although my family is there so we do go and visit...

Old 05-13-2013, 07:54 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
If you move from the West part of the U.S some things change. Example: Best Foods Mayonnaise is named Hellmans here. That's weird. This also occurs on several other brands.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:35 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,595,507 times
I have been here a while, but the obvious difference all of these years later is the serious lack of good companies and good paying jobs. A lot of the companies in Florida are owned by people who wanted to live the Florida lifestyle and moved here from someplace else, usually a cold climate, they either were attracted by (the then cheap cost of living) and set-up shop and pay equally poor.

It's not uncommon here to see a small business, with a reserved parking spot out front and an expensive luxury or sports car sitting in it, while the rest of the infrastructure is poor or severely dated. Employees are not given the greatest tools to do the job or have sub-par working conditions.

As long as the CEO/owner can afford the boat, airplane, luxury car, McMansion and trips to Aspen than that is all that matters. Never mind your raise or better equipment to get the job done right or to improve efficiency, their needs come first yours are the crumbs left over.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:18 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
I have been here a while, but the obvious difference all of these years later is the serious lack of good companies and good paying jobs. A lot of the companies in Florida are owned by people who wanted to live the Florida lifestyle and moved here from someplace else, usually a cold climate, they either were attracted by (the then cheap cost of living) and set-up shop and pay equally poor.

It's not uncommon here to see a small business, with a reserved parking spot out front and an expensive luxury or sports car sitting in it, while the rest of the infrastructure is poor or severely dated. Employees are not given the greatest tools to do the job or have sub-par working conditions.

As long as the CEO/owner can afford the boat, airplane, luxury car, McMansion and trips to Aspen than that is all that matters. Never mind your raise or better equipment to get the job done right or to improve efficiency, their needs come first yours are the crumbs left over.
This may be true in a few rare instances but otherwise its BS.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:19 PM

892 posts, read 1,577,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post

ABSOLUTELY TRUE........the Tampa Bay area is littered with these types of "small" businesses.

The business owner is out on thier boat "wasting away in marguarrita ville" while the employees are paid terrible wages, and everything to do with the business is just "low quality"......

I have witnessed this on countless occasions for YEARS........and have worked for companies just like this.

Of course...some people will deny this- but nobody will convince me otherwise.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:44 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,842,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
I didnt realize it was that bad in Massachusetts. A lot of those Mass people come up to theese mountains and they arent that bad.

They don't call 'em M*******s for nothin', Kenneth.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:55 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,842,191 times
Weighing in on the NH/FL comparisons, each has their definite drawbacks and plusses in my opinion:

1) NH definitely has better restaurants in the larger cities, with more variety, than FL
2) NH winters stink -- no other way to put it. FL summers stink -- no other way to put it.
3) People down in FL seem to have more jerks on the roads -- I never got flipped off or yelled at by 80 year olds in NH.
4) NH only has a short shoreline. I like FL beaches better.
5) People in general seem fine in both locations. If you're from the south coming up to NH, you'll think the people are cool and standoffish, but in fact, they are the salt of the earth once you become friends.
6) PWT is PWT, no matter where you live, and there's plenty in both states.
7) Agreed, the farmers' markets are much better in NH than FL.

But I really like both areas, which is why we do 6 and 6. Most likely we'll retire in FL.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:32 PM

711 posts, read 1,856,447 times
A couple of minor things:

Lots of Florida neighborhoods don't have sidewalks, and the roads are at the same grade as the driveways. Even when there are sidewalks, they're also at the same grade as the road, rather than having a bump up to the sidewalk/driveway.

Florida parking lots usually don't have concrete "bumpers". Makes traversing the lot much easier. They're ubiquitous in California, for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida