Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 06:17 PM

666 posts, read 1,291,893 times

Advertisements

I recently went into a trip to Tallahassee where I had not been for a couple of years. In reality, I feel the southern atmosphere (aka, like being in GA or AL) when I enter Pasco County, and it becomes stronger as I approach the state. Because Orlando is an icon of Florida, such feeling does not appear there, as it does not in the east coast: what I mean is that I feel I am in Florida anywhere along I-95, I-4 and south of this interstate; in Ocala, Gainesville and especially Lake City and Tallahassee I feel I am in Georgia. The one time I was in Pensacola there was a different feeling, maybe it is an Alabaman feeling since I really haven't been in Alabama except when I passed through Mobile on the way to NOLA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 07:00 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,936,527 times
We have lived in Lake City now for 22 years,would like to know what you mean by southern hospitality.
Most of the people are transplants and those who aren't are clanish,family and church,no in between.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:21 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,895,174 times
Northern and Center parts of the state.

I'd say the I-10 corridor across the entire length of the state, and Polk County.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:33 PM

861 posts, read 1,456,409 times
I consider anywhere along I-4 and north to be the south.

The outer suburbs of Tampa feel southern to me as do the NW suburbs of Orlando. Lakeland and the rest of Polk are strictly southern. I've even heard locals from rural areas in Polk County speak in a southern accent.

Inner Florida (Hendry, Highlands, Okechoobee, western Palm Beach, rural areas of Manatee and Sarasota counties etc), all feel southern to me as well.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFisher View Post
I consider anywhere along I-4 and north to be the south.

The outer suburbs of Tampa feel southern to me as do the NW suburbs of Orlando. Lakeland and the rest of Polk are strictly southern. I've even heard locals from rural areas in Polk County speak in a southern accent.

Inner Florida (Hendry, Highlands, Okechoobee, western Palm Beach, rural areas of Manatee and Sarasota counties etc), all feel southern to me as well.
For some reason, in every place south of I-4 I feel no Georgia or Alabama feeling. Sebring, Lake Placid, Clewiston, Avon Park and Belle Glade may be quite rural, but I feel I am in Florida environment. i lived in Fort Myers for a long time and Hendry to me is basically more of the same of Lee County. But the feeling is very different, for me, when I pass I-75 in that area where the first rolling hills appear close to the border between Pasco and Hernando. Maybe it is because the distance to Georgia becomes less. As per Lake City, I feel I am already in Georgia. The lots of Georgia plates, seeing "Valdosta" being announced and knowing that I am significantly closer to Atlanta than from Miami, makes that entire area in North Central Florida to be quite Georgian to me.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:51 PM

Another thing, the NW and W suburbs of Orlando (i.e. Lake County) is quite unique in the state. It does not feel Florida at all but more like north central NC or some parts of Maryland.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:28 PM

57 posts, read 113,780 times
I'd say pretty much anywhere outside a major city, and inland. That said, the farther north you are the more south you are-for example, Tallahassee is more southern than orlando. And while the south-central interior is vastly different in terms of natural characteristics, you still find the same aspects of the south (guns, religion, agriculture, hospitality, etc) that you would find in georgia, plus a little bit of cracker culture.
I'd also agree that lake county, especially Sorrento to Mt.Dora, are quite distinct, thanks to prehistoric sand dunes.
I grew up in Lake Mary (north of I-4 by a couple miles) and while it wasn't the deep south, it had a definite southern, almost antebellum twist. lots of fine houses and lakes with canopy roads. High school consisted of plenty of bonfires, football games, fishing, hunting, mudding, and beach parties, yet half of the participants in that kinda stuff were kids of parents from up north.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:38 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,567,226 times
Didn't the last election point out that Florida is not a "Southern" state?

Old 02-17-2013, 12:30 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,895,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Didn't the last election point out that Florida is not a "Southern" state?
Sadly, but yeah, the OP could just look at the election results map of county by county to figure out which ones are more southern that the others..

Old 02-17-2013, 04:21 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,206,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by espizarro View Post
in Ocala, Gainesville and especially Lake City and Tallahassee I feel I am in Georgia.
Just curious, what is the Georgia feeling? Is it connected to a plethera of churches and billboards that are church-related? Do you get it from the people in some way? Is it the vegetation/scenery?

I've only been to one of those four cities, but Gainesville really impressed me. It seemed so green with a thick vegetation of canopy feeling, coming off the highway. It had a really unique feeling to me. But, it wasn't a Georgia feeling, just had a 'this is really cool and different' feeling. Granted, it was just a brief pitstop where we ended up a Mall foodcourt to eat. But, felt very international in there with a lot of seemingly international students.

I don't know if that was a one-off, as didn't see or experience anything else of Gainesville beyond that, but I quite liked what very little I saw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida