Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2013, 06:00 AM

8 posts, read 15,659 times

Advertisements

What are the differences and which is a better location for a non-snowbird retiree type that loves water (pools and beach). Where kids and grandkids will want to come visit. We will be looking for approx $350k single family home with its own heated pool. We have narrowed it dowm to 3 areas but really do not know the differences (if there are any like warmth, breezes, taxes, insurance and cost of living) - they are - Naples/Bonita Springs area , Jupiter/Palm Beach Gardens area, and Palm Coast/Flagler Beach/Ormond Beach area. Any input would be great. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 06:33 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,967,701 times
Naples (North Naples) and Bonita are a beautiful area, I would even extend it to Estero which is near Bonita. Although some will argue its more of a retiree area we find that not true. We are a young family (30 with a 3 year old) and find stuff to do all the time, so as far as grandkids doing things when they visit you're covered. We have a kids museum, water park, ice skating rink, indoor playgrounds for when the summer is really hot and lots and lots of parks.

As far as cost of living I can't compare it to other places in Fla cause I've lived up north and just here. Are you looking for a condo/townhouse or single family? Maybe more info would help.

We have lovely winters, esp. this past winter we didn't put our air on once, and my husband is a former Maine-er who runs hot as a furnace so that says something about how nice and cool it gets. Our summers are pretty hot but the summer is going to be the same everywhere in Florida. Muggy and humid and hot. North Naples and Bonita/Estero are all very close to the beach (I'm less than 7 mins) and Collier Residents get a free parking sticker, a plus in season. You also get free access to the Naples Zoo the first of every month all day long. Lots and lots of festivals, fairs, charity events, leagues, clubs etc here more so during season. It seemed every weekend we were going to a craft fair, boat race, car show. art festival, jazz concert, movies on the lawn, parade and so on. We have farmers markets every Sat in down down Naples and other places around town and a short drive to Ft. Myers has the green market

As far as bills for our 1,200 sqft condo for electric we pay around $110 a month dead of summer a/c set usually around 72-75 running 24/7, no heating bill.
Water usually around $30
cable-$50 for basic but we have a more fancy version :-P so its around $120 (highspeed, cable, box with recording/playback functions)
we don't have other expenses like gas, heating, winter clothing expenses for car and self so saving money right there.
I can't answer for insurance and such we are in the process of looking for our first home, for now we just rent.

Good luck I can say I love living in Naples, I feel its very safe and extremely clean.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:43 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,776,400 times
I personally like the west coast of Florida better. Overall there is less traffic, fewer high rises the gulf has much calmer water and softer sand. I also find the west coast to be more laid back, although Naples is one of the busier areas.

Obviously, the further north you live the colder it is going to be, so that might a consideration.

I live in the Sarasota area, originally lived on Anna Marie Island. I love this area. Right around here you can buy a nice home w/pool for 350,000, I believe
that Naples is a little more expensive, both in what you get for your $ as well as
for real estate taxes. I do know that my friends on the east coast pay a much higher property tax rate than I do.

Spend some time in Florida, drive around, then decide where to buy, I would rush into anything.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:52 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,967,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
I personally like the west coast of Florida better. Overall there is less traffic, fewer high rises the gulf has much calmer water and softer sand. I also find the west coast to be more laid back, although Naples is one of the busier areas.

Obviously, the further north you live the colder it is going to be, so that might a consideration.

I live in the Sarasota area, originally lived on Anna Marie Island. I love this area. Right around here you can buy a nice home w/pool for 350,000, I believe
that Naples is a little more expensive, both in what you get for your $ as well as
for real estate taxes. I do know that my friends on the east coast pay a much higher property tax rate than I do.

Spend some time in Florida, drive around, then decide where to buy, I would rush into anything.
Good point I forgot about that, the beaches on the west coast IMO are also much better. The water is much much calmer (sometimes so calm it looks like glass) and warmer and we have the sugar sand that's very white and soft. East coast has more of a brownish (hard to describe) type sand with a lot of waves and colder water.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:15 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
I would point you toward Naples/Bonita Springs since you love the beach/pool/swimming. It's pretty much always warmer there though water temperatures in the Gulf of Mexico lag a bit this time of year behind the Atlantic Ocean. Otherwise winters in particular are significantly warmer in extreme southern Florida which is something to consider. Naples versus Palm Coast is as much as 7-10 degrees warmer in January/February with freezes a rarity versus 10-14 days worth.

Average Weather for Naples, FL - Temperature and Precipitation
Average Weather for Palm Coast, FL - Temperature and Precipitation

Old 05-05-2013, 08:40 AM

2,962 posts, read 5,003,528 times
Vero Beach. Lovely beaches, laid back, upscale but affordable. Disney Vero Resort. Character breakfasts on Saturday for the little ones, Pirate dinners during the week, a fine restaurant and lounge for you. Some of the best fishing,surfing,and camping in Florida at Sebastian inlet . Easy 90mile drive to Orlando. I'd give it a look.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:17 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,215,930 times
The Palm Coast area is nice, but winters are chilly, and the beaches, while not bad, could be better. I would choose Palm Beach/Jupiter. It has the best beaches out of all 3 areas. Clear Caribbean-esque waters, relatively calm (though rougher than the Gulf), pretty golden (albeit rough) sand. The Atlantic is warmer in the winter than the Gulf, so that's a plus, and also is a few degrees cooler than the Gulf in summer. Weatherwise, Palm Beach will be milder than Naples (cooler summers, warmer winters). As for Naples, I've heard it can be boring because it's just golf and the beach filled with retirees and snowbirds. The beaches in Naples also don't look as nice. The sand is better, but the water looks too calm and very murky. I would choose the Palm Beach area.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:29 PM

43 posts, read 85,626 times
Naples/Bonita, hands down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida