Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 01:14 PM

434 posts, read 988,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
We have a lot of strange stories, but really, I think it's observational bias.

Maybe, but the perception is out there -- not a newsflash, I know. I used to work at a newspaper, and based on stories from wire services, there was a running joke about all the weird poo happening in Florida. Same listening to a talk station in L.A. -- KFI -- mentioning same/similar stories there. I was kinda glad to hear it wasn't just us thinking this. I believe Chuck Sheperd's News of the Weird has covered the subject. Maybe it took on a life of its own. Then there's Chris Cooper's character in "Adaptation." (Which is a movie, I know, based on a nonfiction book. I have no idea how much Cooper's John Laroche resembles the real Laroche.)

Shepherd's site as a "weird map." Might be fun to play with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 03:17 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,468,462 times
Florida Man Allegedly Fakes 911 Call to Evade Speeding Ticket

https://gma.yahoo.com/florida-man-al...opstories.html

Old 07-28-2014, 03:18 PM

sad story out of Venice Beach area

Plane crash kills man, injures daughter near Venice Beach (video) | Tampa Bay Times

Old 07-28-2014, 06:19 PM

389 posts, read 663,327 times
Reminds me of one of the weirdest, and scariest, things that happened in Fort Lauderdale -- an overloaded DC-3 that landed on Northeast 56th Street:

DC-3 Cargo Plane Crashes Onto Street in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Thankfully and miraculously, there were no fatalities.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:08 PM

note to self: don't run on the beach with headphones in......

Old 07-28-2014, 08:51 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,900,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
note to self: don't run on the beach with headphones in......
Actually, this is a very sad story, because they say the plane's engine was out and didn't make any noise. Two people were hit because they couldn't even hear it coming. But I don't understand at this time why the pilot couldn't see people on the beach and steer away. When you have an out of control car, you are taught to steer AWAY from where people are. Sad and bizarre, something must have gone wrong.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
Actually, this is a very sad story, because they say the plane's engine was out and didn't make any noise. Two people were hit because they couldn't even hear it coming. But I don't understand at this time why the pilot couldn't see people on the beach and steer away. When you have an out of control car, you are taught to steer AWAY from where people are. Sad and bizarre, something must have gone wrong.
I agree....seems unfair to have taken a life to save your own like that.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:38 AM

597 posts, read 1,444,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
We have a lot of strange stories, but really, I think it's observational bias.

Bath salts zombie attack! Florida, right? No, Pennsylvania: Bath Salts Zombie Attacks Pennsylvania Hospital Staff, Woman Gave Birth Two Days Earlier

Drug war fueled execution style killings! Florida, right? Nope, Texas: Two more arrested in execution-style slayings - Houston Chronicle

Masturbating man found at car wash! Florida? Nope, Massachusetts: Lewd Behavior Arrest at Salem Car Wash - Police & Fire - Salem, MA Patch

Murder suicide at shooting range! Gotta be Florida! Nope, Missouri: Missouri Couple Found Dead in Alleged Shooting Range Murder-Suicide - ABC News

Neighbors fight eachother with a shovel and samurai sword... sounds like Florida, but, nope, California: Man attacks neighbor with samurai sword, Sacramento police say - latimes.com

Immigrants washing up on shore... Miami? Nope, El Segundo: Boat Full of Illegal Immigrants Washes Ashore in El Segundo [UPDATED]: LAist

Dead Chinese found in a shipping container? Not Florida, Washington: Three illegal migrants die in shipping container - World - CBC News

Deadly snakes on the loose has to be Florida... no, New York: Bronx Zoo cobra: Deadly Egyptian snake escapes and on the loose in New York City | Mail Online

Mother kills baby, eats brains?! Santaria in Hialeah? Nope, Texas again: Texas Mother Kills Own Child Then Eats His Brain..More Zombie Behavior | I AM is at the doors

Wild animals attacking people in the home must be a Florida animal story.... but how about Moose stomping a girl in her backyard in Alaska?: Eagle River girl doing okay after moose attack - Alaska Star - May Issue 5 2012 - Eagle River, AK

Well, I guess you proved that there is weird/scary things happening all over the country.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:02 AM

14,956 posts, read 12,166,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida or Bust.... View Post
7-25-14
Bare burger burglars caught on security camera in Florida | Reuters

7-16-14
Pinellas police blotter: serial breast pump theft, naked intruder, thirsty burglar | Tampa Bay Times

6-27-14
Girlfriend of landscaper killed in wood chipper: 'There are no more tears' | Tampa Bay Times

6-16-14
Deputies say 450-pound Florida man hid coke, pot under fat folds (w/ video) | Tampa Bay Times

4-8-14
Topless woman's videotaped fast food rampage is Internet hit - FOX 13 News

3-27-14
Watch: Tampa road rage tailgater smirks in video, crashes seconds later | Tampa Bay Times

3-7-14
Police: Man arrested after trying to hit bar employee's pet parrot | Tampa Bay Times

3-21-14
Cops: Tampa executive filmed women using toilets and showering at his company (w/video) | Tampa Bay Times

Although, a lot of bizarre news happens through out the US, IMO Florida seems to have more weird things happen than any other state.
Especially if you're looking for it.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida