Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 03:39 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,391,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
It is interesting that you feel most people envision at the beach everyday, tiki huts, jimmy buffet blasting, flip flow wearing, guy harvey shirt wearing, beer drinking type of life.

Not that it cannot be had while on weekends, holidays and vacations. Most people beyond the age of a college kid knows what life is about and has already had experience living life everyday. Just as people in NYC dont go to Broadway every night, eat at 4 star restaurants, get driven around in chauffeured
limos hitting the popular night spots. I am sure most people in California arent spending their days
at Muscle Beach sittoing on the beach all day drinking mai-tais and surfing. I am sure that most people in Denver Colorado are not out horseback riding in the mountains, going to ski resorts, sitting in front of fireplaces telling stories to the group. No, not at all. Real life is real life no matter where you live.
Again, you seem to think that everyone has the thought process of a 19 year old.
THX is absolutely correct, well I can speak for the Northerners at least who think that life is definitely like Margarettaville...I can tell you we loved feeling like we were on vacation for the 3 years we were there, but sometimes Life does get in the way of it...

Old 02-06-2014, 03:42 PM

1,507 posts, read 1,976,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The b8nk View Post
Serious question guys. Other than the weather or the climate/beaches is there really any other reason someone would want to live here? (No Cheerleader trolls please)
You sound like Reg! LMAO

What have the Romans ever done for us - YouTube

Old 02-06-2014, 04:01 PM

892 posts, read 1,578,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
That's your average American nowadays. Are you any different? Look at the heroin/drug epidemic being discussed in the news/everywhere.

Am I any different?.....

Yes....

I am absolutely, 100% different than that.

The behavior I witnessed for 14+ years around marinas and boats is not "your average American nowadays" behavior...

It was white trash behavior cleverly disguised in a suit and tie driving a Lexus, big shiny truck, ect. during the week.

Permanent party mentality.

In my opinion...

There is more of that mentality in Florida (and the South) than other places I've been including the Northeast.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:05 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,151,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post
I have to say....

Being in and around the boating business for better than 14 years....

I have never seen so many grown adults with the mentality of 19 year olds as I have in Florida...

Not "career" wise...but the endless race to get "f#cked up" as quickly as possible whenever they aren't at work....

Regardless if their kids are watching or not....

Just pounding beer after beer like they're still in their stupid a$$ frat back at UF...

Kind of a permanent party/vacation mentality.

I saw it over and over for years.

Maybe you've been in FL too long and have not experienced other places.

I know that people in other states do indeed get off work and drink themselves into oblivion and do it day after day. I saw it in the service too. There were certain people that you could find in a heartbeat by just going to the EM club or the CPO club.

I know from my corporate life that I could find certain people at lunch time in the bar in the few more before heading to catch their train. they had the timing down just perfectly. It is a shame that these people act that way. I think it is particularly bad when those people take the helm of
a boat and put their families well being at risk as well as everyone else out there.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Maybe you've been in FL too long and have not experienced other places.

I know that people in other states do indeed get off work and drink themselves into oblivion and do it day after day. I saw it in the service too. There were certain people that you could find in a heartbeat by just going to the EM club or the CPO club.

I know from my corporate life that I could find certain people at lunch time in the bar in the few more before heading to catch their train. they had the timing down just perfectly. It is a shame that these people act that way. I think it is particularly bad when those people take the helm of
a boat and put their families well being at risk as well as everyone else out there.

I have experienced TONS of other places....

I have been to many, many other states....and many other countries as well.

And yes...

It is very bad to take the helm of a boat and put their families and everyone else at risk....

But they do it....

EVERY WEEKEND...

And then they return to the marina, dock the boat, and load the family up in the SUV and drive home pi$$ drunk....

I always thought if a cop wants to get a bunch of DUI's....

They should wait near the marinas and boat ramps of Pinellas County on any fair weather weekend in the afternoons/evenings and they would load up.

Party like a frat boy bro.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:14 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,151,675 times
So then you know that alcohol abuse is rampant around the world. You only see these people on weekends. Just imagine what they are doing Monday through Friday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post
I have experienced TONS of other places....

I have been to many, many other states....and many other countries as well.

And yes...

It is very bad to take the helm of a boat and put their families and everyone else at risk....

But they do it....

EVERY WEEKEND...

Party like a frat boy bro.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
So then you know that alcohol abuse is rampant around the world. You only see these people on weekends. Just imagine what they are doing Monday through Friday.

Yes it is rampant around the world....

And it is worse in some places....

Places where people have a permanent vacation mentality...

Places like Florida for instance.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:59 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,506,520 times
Quote:
...Chasing the dollar is very non-productive. Quality of life, health and happiness trump money all the time...
I don't buy that at all. My husband and I moved to Florida when we were young to make money (also so we wouldn't freeze). And we succeeded on both counts. Being "seniors" now - it's easier to have more money than less.

So when did you move to Hernando County - and why? How old were you when you moved there - and where did you move from?

On the few occasions I've been in Hernando County - my impression is it's pretty much a lower income retirement area. And wouldn't be of much interest to most younger people. Robyn

Old 02-06-2014, 05:04 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,391,715 times
...Chasing the dollar is very non-productive. Quality of life, health and happiness trump money all the time...

No one is chasing the dollar...For what my hubby does its back North...My husband loves what he does and making a very nice living isnt as important as his happiness but if you have both then I dont know what else to tell you..Again, there is more to life at our age then the palm trees

Old 02-06-2014, 05:20 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,628,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
I could care less if you like Chicago or cold weather. Just refrain from disruptive posting flatulence (the comment was not directed to you).
You do care or you wouldn't continue to post that pic.

How about you taking your own advice since you're talking out of your *** when you make a sweeping generalization like you did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida