Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 05:40 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times

Advertisements

QUOTE=Robyn55;33360351]I don't buy that at all. My husband and I moved to Florida when we were young to make money (also so we wouldn't freeze). And we succeeded on both counts. Being "seniors" now - it's easier to have more money than less.

So when did you move to Hernando County - and why? How old were you when you moved there - and where did you move from?

On the few occasions I've been in Hernando County - my impression is it's pretty much a lower income retirement area. And wouldn't be of much interest to most younger people. Robyn[/quote]

Well, lets see.. We moved to Hernando County in 2005. I was doing workers comp law in Orlando as a paralegal since 88. The firm offered me a pay cut due to the effect of the 2003 Chapter 440 changes on attorney fees. They simply could not afford me at the wage I was at. I didnt want the job at the new rate. Housing market was booming. Sold the house, moved to Spring Hill and resumed my career, since changed. I was 48 at that time. Yes, it is a lower income area. Median household income is about 40k. Its peaceful and quiet. A lot of nature going on here. Its called "the nature coast". Used to be very retirement oriented but that has changed over the past few years. More younger families here now. Median age is 44 or so. Population in 2000 about 130k, now more than 173k. Was a tad over 100k in 1990 so growth has been phenomenal. We knew of Spring Hill since the early 90's, visited frequently. When the time came in 2005 we knew exactly where we were going.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:44 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
...Chasing the dollar is very non-productive. Quality of life, health and happiness trump money all the time...

No one is chasing the dollar...For what my hubby does its back North...My husband loves what he does and making a very nice living isnt as important as his happiness but if you have both then I dont know what else to tell you..Again, there is more to life at our age then the palm trees

Had 3 careers in my life. I think I am on the last one. One was 12 years, the second 22 years.
No palm trees here. Im 57 this year so maybe my needs are not the same as yours. To each his own.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:03 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,385,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Had 3 careers in my life. I think I am on the last one. One was 12 years, the second 22 years.
No palm trees here. Im 57 this year so maybe my needs are not the same as yours. To each his own.
No they arent.....we are 45 abd 46 my oldest in college youngest heading to HS....when we are in our 50's life will be different

Old 02-06-2014, 08:45 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,310,171 times
I need to add one to my reason.

My hobby.

Antiques and collectibles.

My passion is the thrill of the hunt for items no one else knows what it is or the value.

Since moving to Florida the amount of items I have found here had been simply amazing.

Getting to enjoy a hobby and get paid for it is the ultimate.

I get to do this year around now, where I did not before.

I have been messing around with my hobby for tons of years and in the the last 3 years since I moved to Florida I have never made this much profit and never before found so many neat items to turn for a huge profit then I have found here in Florida.

The flea markets, antique malls, thrift stores, yard/garage here are full of items no one researched or had a clue what they were or the value. This did not happen much in Ohio like it has here.

I purposely moved central for many reasons and one of them was to be central to all those goodies I was able to buy up on many vacations and business trips here from Ohio.

Now getting to do it any time I want is a blessing. And all year around makes it so much more fun for me.

Hubby got a huge raise and bonus to come here and I get to enjoy my hobby and get paid crazy money to enjoy it.

Looking at an estate auction coming up Saturday that I believe I will walk out of there with a ton of items for a huge profit.

+1 more for Florida.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:43 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Just read this thread. The OP asked ."Other than the weather or the climate/beaches" yet...dismissing the whole NJ/Fl tirade....the weather or weather dependent activities was still the main reason given.
A couple of people had totally personal reasons such as a specific job but availability of good jobs, per se, was not a reason as was lack of state income tax.
Isn't it reasonable to conclude that the weather is he main reason?

Old 02-07-2014, 05:50 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,198,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I don't buy that at all. My husband and I moved to Florida when we were young to make money (also so we wouldn't freeze). And we succeeded on both counts. Being "seniors" now - it's easier to have more money than less.

So when did you move to Hernando County - and why? How old were you when you moved there - and where did you move from?

On the few occasions I've been in Hernando County - my impression is it's pretty much a lower income retirement area. And wouldn't be of much interest to most younger people. Robyn
Most people that say chasing the dollar is non-productive don't have any money and are wondering when their next place of rice and beans will come ...

Old 02-07-2014, 06:19 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
Thread is closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida