Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 08:17 PM
TD* TD* started this thread

1,695 posts, read 4,140,759 times

Advertisements

Hello, My friend just took a job in Ormond Beach, and he is wondering what neighborhoods to avoid, and where he should be looking to live.

He is working in Ormond Beach, and would prefer to live close to work.

Is Ormond Beach a good area?

He is looking for Apartments for a young professional (Doctor) Doesn't need anything luxurious, but does not want to be in a student complex.

If someone could provide insight on areas, it would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 09:02 PM

745 posts, read 1,582,760 times
I can't comment on the Ormond Beach area, and I haven't ventured up there yet, but I live in Daytona Beach.

Don't let anyone who doesn't live here persuade you in the wrong direction, cuz they don't live here. Probably never did.

that being said, beachside from Daytona Beach all the way south to Ponce Inlet is perfectly fine and safe, with plenty of cute neighborhoods scattered about. What people call "the ghetto" (which isn't big city ghetto btw, but just low income housing ghetto) is basically north of Orange Ave and south of Mason Ave and east of Ridgewood. It's basically mainland across the Halifax River in Daytona Beach. I've seen absolutely no problems whatsoever on beachside. I walk the beach at night alone, I walk the streets at night alone. The cops here are very militant, but that's a good thing. Don't drink and drive.

the action is Main St. to Seabreeze Ave. If you want nightlife, then pick a condo or apartment on Peninsula over there. If you want more quiet, then head south to Daytona Beach Shores (where I live). Again, I can't comment on Ormond, I've never been there.

South of Daytona Beach Shores is Wilbur by the Sea and Ponce Inlet. This is where the wealthy live. I work down there, and it's very fisherman/yachts/expensive homes type of place. It's kinda of like Clearwater. No crime whatsoever.

Just west of that is Port Orange. This is where most of my co-workers live and they like it. I haven't driven around too much, but it seems fine to me. They never talk badly about it at all.

if I were you, i'd live beachside somewhere as the beach is what it's all about. If you have allergies, then live as close to the water as possible to potentially avoid them. I have horrible allergies and they are like 5% of what they used to be up north in the PNW.

and although I mentioned those bad areas above, Riverside Dr., which runs along the river on the mainland, is another cute area comparable to Peninsula. Look them up.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:36 PM

doesnt it cost a fortune to live on daytona beach shores?

Old 05-20-2013, 09:48 PM

745 posts, read 1,582,760 times
lol no. I'm sure you could rent a 1-bedroom condo or apartment for 600 easily. I've seen completely furnished condos on the beach, including utilities go for 999. That would include cable, AC, heat, water/sewer/garbage, and most likely a pool.

Beachside is only like 4 or 5 blocks wide. It's A1A, then a couple of blocks in between, then Peninsula Dr., which runs along the Halifax River. That is lined up and down with nice homes. Same with Riverside Dr., which runs along the mainland across the river.

Beachside, you also won't have to deal with traffic, except for the occasional event like Bike Week. I don't know where you currently live, but if you experience rush hour highway traffic on a daily basis, you won't find that here. I can get anywhere in 15 min.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:00 PM

Surprising to me, I would assume across the bridge on the beach side it would be tremendously more expensive... Ill pass the info along to him.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:58 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,168,423 times
Plenty of condos, apartments and even single-family homes for rent beachside and on the mainland in Ormond. There are no student complexes in Ormond, as there are no colleges. Daytona State is a commuter school and housing for Embry-Riddle is in Daytona & South Daytona.

Is you friend going to be working at the hospital on Williamson or with a private physician? Either way, drive to and from anywhere in Ormond 15 minute max at "rush hour." Ormond's a beautiful little city. It's my hometown.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:07 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,924,448 times
I grew up in Ormond Beach. I moved away about 5 years ago, but my family is still there.

There aren't really any "bad" parts in Ormond, though there are some neighborhoods that are more run down than others.

There are no student complexes.

Crowne apartments would be my recommendation for a young professional, especially if they'll be working at the new Florida Hospital. It's literally right next door.

Fisherman's Landing is also a nice townhouse community. There are also lots of townhouses in The Trails, which would probably be my recommendation if you wanted to go with a townhouse. The townhouses on Nova Road north of Granada Blvd (SR 40) are also good, I forget what they're called, Tomoka something.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:49 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,374,822 times
I am sure the perps will be caught soon, I haven't had any problem anywhere in DB with that said I shy away from the shady parts of town, but the walmart on beville rd isn't shady to me

Old 12-22-2013, 02:21 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,047,494 times
Default Bump ~~~~~

I'm reviving this thread because I'm also interested in the Ormond Beach area and renting a long term Town Home, maybe furnished? Any possibility ?

Old 12-22-2013, 06:56 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,924,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
I'm reviving this thread because I'm also interested in the Ormond Beach area and renting a long term Town Home, maybe furnished? Any possibility ?
Don't know about furnished, but I would recommend The Trails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida