Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 07:13 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,946,388 times

Advertisements

Yesterday was the first time I've ever seen a flashing yellow arrow turn to red when I was driving around Gainesville. I was about to make a left turn, but it turned to red, so I stopped cold and waited until it began flashing yellow again. Today I saw another flashing yellow light and, as I took my left turn, it changed to solid yellow. I've been driving all over SWFL for 20 years (and many other places) but never saw one of these signals.

Do you have these left turn arrows where you live? I've only seen red and green arrows. Usually a flashing yellow light means "proceed with caution" but I guess a flashing yellow arrow means the same, only it will turn red so you need to keep your eye on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 07:35 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,207,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Yesterday was the first time I've ever seen a flashing yellow arrow turn to red when I was driving around Gainesville. I was about to make a left turn, but it turned to red, so I stopped cold and waited until it began flashing yellow again. Today I saw another flashing yellow light and, as I took my left turn, it changed to solid yellow. I've been driving all over SWFL for 20 years (and many other places) but never saw one of these signals.

Do you have these left turn arrows where you live? I've only seen red and green arrows. Usually a flashing yellow light means "proceed with caution" but I guess a flashing yellow arrow means the same, only it will turn red so you need to keep your eye on it.
Where in "all over SW Florida" driving at? We have them in Tampa.

Old 03-05-2014, 03:30 PM

Sorry I have not returned to this thread. I am currently traveling and don't always have internet access. I was in a hotel when I posted on March 3.

I've lived in Lee, Collier, Charlotte and Sarasota counties which are all in SWFL, although I've traveled throughout the state from Key West to Pensacola.

I only have a minute, so bye for now!

Old 03-05-2014, 04:04 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,015,119 times
I have never seen any flashing yellow turn signals. Late at night when the signals are turned off the turn signals are almost always flashing red. To flash yellow then go to red or go to solid yellow is something new to me. At least we don't have them in South Florida.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:12 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,660,273 times
Palm Harbor...intersection of Tampa Road and Belcher is one off the top of my head...what's the problem? It means proceed with your turn if you are able...

Old 03-06-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Palm Harbor...intersection of Tampa Road and Belcher is one off the top of my head...what's the problem? It means proceed with your turn if you are able...
No problem at all. I looked it up and the project to introduce them to different areas began in 2012. Of course it makes sense that a yellow light means "proceed with caution" but this was very different from any light I've seen. It was flashing and then turned red. I am used to seeing an arrow turn green for a left turn and then it fades out. That automatically means you can take a left, with caution. I just had never seen this configuration in the cities where I lived. So it will flash yellow and then turn solid yellow and red. Hope they're all programmed to give drivers enough time to stop or turn. In some areas of FL, I noticed the time for a yellow signal was off by a few seconds. Well, I've been in Gainesville since Saturday and I love the vibe I'm getting from the people here. It is so different from other areas where I've lived in the state. But it's been a long time since I saw so many hills and curves. I'm in a coffee shop, so this is all I can write for now, but I think I have my answer. It's explained in detail on Wiki.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:22 PM

790 posts, read 1,269,943 times
On Highway A1A near Patrick AFB they have the constant green arrow, wish we had them in Tampa

Old 03-06-2014, 02:31 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,015,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
No problem at all. I looked it up and the project to introduce them to different areas began in 2012. Of course it makes sense that a yellow light means "proceed with caution" but this was very different from any light I've seen. It was flashing and then turned red. I am used to seeing an arrow turn green for a left turn and then it fades out. That automatically means you can take a left, with caution. I just had never seen this configuration in the cities where I lived. So it will flash yellow and then turn solid yellow and red. Hope they're all programmed to give drivers enough time to stop or turn. In some areas of FL, I noticed the time for a yellow signal was off by a few seconds. Well, I've been in Gainesville since Saturday and I love the vibe I'm getting from the people here. It is so different from other areas where I've lived in the state. But it's been a long time since I saw so many hills and curves. I'm in a coffee shop, so this is all I can write for now, but I think I have my answer. It's explained in detail on Wiki.
Thanks for the info. Definitely none here in Miami. We have the normal lights like you said. You are allowed to make the turn if you are in the intersection so I guess Yellow Flashing just means be ready to stop? I don't see what is wrong with the old system. Did people not know they could still turn even if the green arrow was not lighted up, but the normal green indicator was.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:13 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,171,193 times
We have the flashing yellow before the fixed yellow at an intersection where U-turns are allowed. Several fatal accidents occurred at that intersection before Florida DOT installed a traffic light there.

Here you go:

State of Florida.com - Florida Traffic Signals

Old 03-13-2014, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Did people not know they could still turn even if the green arrow was not lighted up, but the normal green indicator was.
Probably they were installed for the opposite reason, that is, people saw the green light (no arrow) and took a left turn without yielding to oncoming traffic. As the above post & link from SSG indicates, the flashing yellow arrows are reducing accidents by alerting drivers to proceed with caution, although I always thought that was common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida