Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 08:55 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,758,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu View Post
and yes. gator tails are fantastic....it's all white meat that is low in fat, no tendons, nor any bones - I'm not kidding this is good stuff & truly healty.
Mmmm gator - tastes like chicken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2006, 09:55 PM

566 posts, read 2,058,784 times
Nope not bad at all...funny that some things end up tasting like chicken....
Hmm...Let's see now, I'm ordering my Florida plate...
For starters..I'll have start w/alligator pear slices (Fl avocado) w/a twist of Key lime & salt.. & a side of conch fritters, then I'll order my gator with a side of swamp cabbage (s. palm heart) & finish it off with a Key lime pie. Ohh..and my drink would be a nice cold frosty lemonade or iced tea with a twist of key lime. Even orange juice or pink grapefruit juice would be just dandy for me - I drink about a gallon of grapefruit juice a week, anyway. I must have grapefruit blood by now.
The weird thing is that this fare can't be found down here in Miami ..I remember that last time I ate this was a while back, on a side street cafeteria, going down to the Everglades.

Old 10-24-2006, 04:04 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Oysters here:
Raw, baked, fried.
I like any and all those ways.
During the holidays, oyster stew can't be beat. I use Julia Child's recipe for that.

Old 10-24-2006, 05:34 AM

92 posts, read 457,196 times
Can't believe no one has mentioned Key Lime Pie yet!

Some black beans and rice or a mahi mahi sandwich as well.

Old 10-24-2006, 06:27 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Well said SoFlaGuy.
I was thinking of grilled grouper sandwich, as well.
I adore Key Lime Pie.

Old 10-24-2006, 06:47 AM

yeah cil, I love a good Key Lime pie too, I have to check if they are in season so I can go make one!

Old 10-24-2006, 08:08 AM

Oh yes....a grouper sandwich! I've ordered these on the West coast like in Marco Island, Estero, Sanibel, etc. & adore 'em... Oysters are wonderful too w/a twist of lime, dash of salt, too. Love them crabs also...a nice crab cake, delicious.
I mentioned the Key lime pie...and make a quickie one too, that anyone in the U.S. can make in a pinch at any time of the year, including places that are snowing. Yep, even non-cooks and husbands can make it, even the kids can whisk one up & parents can just throw in the oven - & no electric gadgets are necessary. Really rich, tasty, lemony & sweet at the same time...
Here's el quicko recipe...

1 ready made graham Cracker pie-crust
1 14oz can of sweetened condensed milk
3 egg yolks
1/2 cup of lime juice (any is fine, including bottled)

Grab a any bowl, dump all ingredients in there and whisk w/fork till it's liquidy, then pour in crust and bake for 10 min. at 350. You're done!
Put in fridge till firm & serve with standard whipped topping. One can garnish w/lemon wedges to make it look pretty for company.
Believe me a little serving packs a whallop...
"Try it...you'll like it..."

p.s. - if one wants, one can get the 3 egg whites and w/electric mixer beat w/little bit of sugar (in little spurts) till peaks start forming - this is meringue - put on top after key lime pie is firm and brown in oven a bit - to give it a golden look. This requires 1 or 2 minutes of careful viewing thru oven door as it will start getting golden on top rather quickly due to the sugar. If left unattended, seconds will determine if it becomes golden or burnt...
I usually do this/w-thin lemon wedges, if company comes over, otherwise it's plain old cool whip for me.

Last edited by lulu; 10-24-2006 at 08:43 AM..

Old 10-24-2006, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu View Post
Here's el quicko recipe...

1 ready made graham Cracker pie-crust
1 14oz can of sweetened condensed milk
3 egg yolks
1/2 cup of lime juice (any is fine, including bottled)

Grab a any bowl, dump all ingredients in there and whisk w/fork till it's liquidy, then pour in crust and bake for 10 min. at 350. You're done!
Put in fridge till firm & serve with standard whipped topping. One can garnish w/lemon wedges to make it look pretty for company.
Believe me a little serving packs a whallop...
"Try it...you'll like it..."
I will have to try this, its generally very easy to make. I'd like to try it with some real key limes. I just wish I wasn't the only one in my family that likes it, oh well, more for me

Old 10-24-2006, 03:39 PM

You might be surprised, if your family doesn't convert...
If not, just think... a pie for oneself. Hmmmm...sounds great to me!
Thank you, family!

Old 10-24-2006, 05:33 PM
cee

32 posts, read 178,386 times
i cant believe no one has mentioned Cuban Sandwiches. Tampa's La Teresita off columbus avenue in West Tampa has THE BEST cuban sandwiches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida