Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 10:57 PM

82 posts, read 52,867 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I am currently living with my family in a small town in North Carolina. (Furniture business). Honestly, we're tired of the small town feel. The people aren't "open-minded" and the city is just overall too small for us. Today, we talked about moving to Miami; basically for business and a new life.

My question is this: What parts of Miami are good for a retail business for furniture? Mainly high-end (no low end furniture). We would also like to live near the ocean, it would be nice if there were sky rises (condos; any specific condos that are nice?). Or maybe some decent neighborhoods of homes in the 500k range?

But for the real question: is Miami a good place to open a business? Specifically for the furniture business??

Would love to hear your responses!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 09:01 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,444,863 times
Take a trip down there and look around. There are certain areas of the Miami area you really want to stay out of (crime). Other areas are very ethnically centric (Little Havana for example) and really are not welcoming of outsiders. Finally, you would have to fight the chains, established stores.

As to looking for an "open minded" community, start by being open-minded yourself. If you are having trouble accepting people and fitting in where you are, you will probably have that same trouble wherever you go.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:54 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
You should not even entertain this idea without going down there for about two weeks. And that's just for starters.

There is NO COMPARISON between the furniture business in North Carolina and Miami, IMO.

'Now if the issue is that your business is not doing well, it's another story so go for it.

I own a service business and would never ever make a move like that if my business were thriving. Which I actually did this year and it took me 4 years to make the decision and pull it off. The fact that it's retail makes it MUCH MUCH MUCH more challenging.

You also need to consider the bilingual factor there.

I'll be interested if you think Miami meets your criteria of "open minded".

Old 03-09-2014, 03:48 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,342,798 times
Miami has people in it. Those people surely need furniture to sit down on and sleep in. Good a place as any I suppose.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:05 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
It's a great area for selling high end furniture. Note that a lot of people have already beat you to that idea though, both national chains and locals. Make a trip down there in the role of a customer shopping existing businesses and then come up with a plan to offer something to other customers that you don't see there right now whether it's a line or price point or services.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:16 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnswerMan123 View Post
Hi there,

I am currently living with my family in a small town in North Carolina. (Furniture business). Honestly, we're tired of the small town feel. The people aren't "open-minded" and the city is just overall too small for us. Today, we talked about moving to Miami; basically for business and a new life.

My question is this: What parts of Miami are good for a retail business for furniture? Mainly high-end (no low end furniture). We would also like to live near the ocean, it would be nice if there were sky rises (condos; any specific condos that are nice?). Or maybe some decent neighborhoods of homes in the 500k range?

But for the real question: is Miami a good place to open a business? Specifically for the furniture business??

Would love to hear your responses!

Thanks!
Coral Gables is a very affluent area. It's where UM is located. You should have a good understanding of Spanish if you want to do business in Miami. If you don't, I would go toward Fort Lauderdale.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:24 PM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
You should not even entertain this idea without going down there for about two weeks. And that's just for starters.

There is NO COMPARISON between the furniture business in North Carolina and Miami, IMO.

'Now if the issue is that your business is not doing well, it's another story so go for it.

I own a service business and would never ever make a move like that if my business were thriving. Which I actually did this year and it took me 4 years to make the decision and pull it off. The fact that it's retail makes it MUCH MUCH MUCH more challenging.

You also need to consider the bilingual factor there.

I'll be interested if you think Miami meets your criteria of "open minded".

Great post.....I don't believe there will be a demand for NC type furniture in Miami.

Miami is way different architecturally, everyone thinks they can get a better deal (foreigner mentality) and there are tons of discount furniture chains that offer financing (rooms to go, Eldorado furniture, etc).

I think you need a road trip to Miami......it will be a very inexpensive lesson compared to moving and finding out with your own time/money!

Old 03-10-2014, 06:15 AM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Great post.....I don't believe there will be a demand for NC type furniture in Miami.
Just as an FYI...there isn't really such a thing as "NC type furniture". North Carolina happens to be the center for furniture production in the country, specifically the High Point area which is where companies like Bassett, Broyhill, Ethan Allen, La-Z-Boy and Thomasville make many different styles of furniture ranging from traditional to modern. Miami has become a major center for design/furniture (Miami Design District) and would be a good deal less competitive than North Carolina.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Just as an FYI...there isn't really such a thing as "NC type furniture". North Carolina happens to be the center for furniture production in the country, specifically the High Point area which is where companies like Bassett, Broyhill, Ethan Allen, La-Z-Boy and Thomasville make many different styles of furniture ranging from traditional to modern. Miami has become a major center for design/furniture (Miami Design District) and would be a good deal less competitive than North Carolina.
I would characterize NC furniture as "heavy wood" type stuff. I know that NC has area of that type of stuff which is why I made the point. Armoires, Wall Units and other "heavy wood" pieces are out right now. Who uses a piece of furniture to house a TV? I suspect FL sells more wicker and plastic furniture than anything else. Up north homes/architecture tend to lend themselves to NC style stuff.

See below story......also note they are keeping their patio furniture division.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:29 PM

Carls Furniture closing all three stores - Sun Sentinel

They used to have 27 stores....

After furnishing South Florida homes for 73 years, Carls Furniture is going out of business.
The furniture retailer based in Coconut Creek is shutting down its three stores and seeking to get rid of its inventory, which is marked down to as much as 70 percent off.
Carls Furniture has stores in Fort Lauderdale, Pompano Beach and Coconut Creek.

The company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in 2011, suffering from declining sales during the recession. It restructured and shuttered multiple locations, including one in Boca Raton.
"Our stores never recovered from the 2008 recession back to a profitable level, so we finally made a decision to close down the remaining three stores," Jeff Baker, owner of Carls Furniture, said Tuesday. "We are sorry we had to close. It's not something we wanted to happen."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida